Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
[Discusion] How do people in your area react to yaoi? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did you grow up in a place that accepted yaoi/yuri for the most part?
  Completely, yes
  to an extent, but it varies between people
  Not sure
  No, not really
  You'd be smitted for thinking of supporting yaoi openly
View Results

Slime and Snails

6,250 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:11 pm
Badly. My town is small and full of hics who can't use proper English. stare  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:05 pm
well around here there is not alot of despremitation against gays. we are very open around here.
alot of girls love it and actually me and a few others actually read yaio books almost daily at school. yea sometimes there are some people that are like "sick" but we're like whatever...
there are guys who just exnore girls opssesion at school but real gays they are very distant from.
as for lesbains god there are to many around here!lol but as for yaio's are conserned they are safe and welcomed here! whee 3nodding whee  

chibiruler1990

Sora Lavellan

Married Rabbit

9,725 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Married 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:16 pm
People around my area are pretty accpeting of it. Infact I will go into a book store and find like 20 different people sitting in the manga section reading yaoi manga. the first time I saw it I was like O.O zomg. I didn't actaully know there was that huge of fanbase for yaoi or even manga for this area ^.^ oh yeah even my locate best buy has been stocking up on anime and manga that are shounen-ai/yaoi related!! ^.^  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:45 pm

There isn't alot in the way of descrimination amongst the younger generation here, but it can pretty bad in the adults, its getting better though
My high-school was awesome, half my friends and several staff members were bi-sexual or homosexual so anyone spouting homophobic nonsense got smacked down pretty quickly. My Grandparents and all my family except my parents are all massively religious though and I only talk about yaoi or shounen-ai if I want to piss them off, which is constantly.
The worst part is growing up with my dads friends, they're all homophobic and say the worst things sometimes... I get so mad mad

Piker

Kitsune-chi

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:02 pm
The area that I live in isn't homophobic; not really. Since I'm in junior high, naturally you'll get some immature guys saying "ZOMG U F*G" (I hate that word so, so much) Or "That's so gay!" or "That test was so gay!" or "That pen cap is soooo totally gay!"

But people don't seem to outright hate homosexuality here. People make jokes but more often than not they're not hateful. Not outright, anywho. I think most people have the "As long as they don't hit on me, okay whatever." mentality. A lot of my friends know my stand on homosexuality in general, and are as cool with it as I am. Coz they rock the house. Oh yeah. *laugh* But where I used to live was A-W-F-U-L. RRRRGH. It's not even that far away, but since it's a community that has an overwhelming amount of notoriety for snobbishness, there's so much of a differenct. REWFJKHFDSJFSDF IHATEDITTHERE.

*rant over*

biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:03 pm
Well I live in New york city andyou don't really see much discrimination. Mostly people don't care unless you try to get married or march in a parade of people that abhor your sexuality. In my school race is a big joke not sexuality.

Also the only ones that know about my yaoi obssession are close freinds and siblings  

klausolas

Jeering Capitalist

Kimatsuhara

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:59 pm
Ignorant, hypocritical, religious sycophants are all around me..  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:13 am
RubberSoul
I'm not sure. I'm from Texas and I never really talk to other people about yaoi. I don't think to community would like but they wouldn't exactly smack me with Bibles or anything. I live in a city so there's a little more tolerance.

What part of Texas? I'm the the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, although that might change soon.

Anyways, I'm in an anime club, and most of them know I like yaoi or like it themselves. (Note, this is the female members and one gay guy who I haven't seen since December.) Anyways, we talk about it when it comes up and jokes are thrown around. No big deal, it's just another form of entertainment, especially since we make fun of a lot of moments between guys when we watch anime, just because we can.

Now, with my family, I just don't like sharing my interests with them at all. Even before the yaoi thing I'd try to keep things seperate. Now, my big sister is very nosy whenever she comes over and tries to get into my business in spite of my horrendous resistance. Long story short, she finds out what yaoi is from some random stranger, and then mentions it to me when I get home. Now, our dad's kind of homophobic, and I shushed her as fast as I could, what with our dad and the fact that I just didn't want to ever discuss it with her. I don't think Dad was there, but a day or so later our mom, who probably overheard my sister, takes me aside and says she wouldn't love me any less if I was a lesbian. It was an awkward and unnecessary conversation. Now, I'm not telling her I like yaoi and shonen-ai if she doesn't already know. There are things I just don't feel comfortable telling my mom. That goes double for my dad.  

Ace of Blue Spades

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100

Yo_Landa

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:22 pm
A few of my friends think it's great. But...a lot of them think it's creepy. Well, I guess most of them would think it's creepy. A few of my anime-loving female friends are into it, but most of my other friends just think that I'm really, REALLY weird.  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:27 pm
Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori
meh. everyone thinks im crazy, but what the hell. im totally openly bi to everyone. but they see me as gay. x) anyways. im always being fangirly, but i havent gotten beat up yet! considering that i skipped a grade and im really small and wimpy for my age anyways, thats quite a feat. apparently i have an "attitude" that keeps people back. a look that says "I am going over there. I have no interest whatsoever in dealing with you. Now shut the ******** up about it."

squee!

Really? Koolness!  

NaneXx

NaneXx

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:29 pm
Well there aren't really many people who are homophobic where I live (New York) Most poeple are pretty chill about it. Though they do end up soming up to me and say "Hey you like gay guys right? Would you be cool with having a threesome with me and my girlfriend/boyfriend?"
Meh: ...Ewww...and no
then I kick me the shin!  
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:31 pm
In my city (Vancouver, B.C., Canada), people are pretty tolerant of many different things, which includes homosexuallity. There are just so many different types of people living here (a lively-and-not-so-boring group). Same-sex marriage is also legal. I think an even amount of people I know like yaoi or don't really like it at all but that's just a small tiny number.And my city's reaction to yaoi in general? I have no idea.  

jad3d

Sezebel

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:17 pm
It depends really.
The people I hang out with in the mornings love yoai and boy and boy action period.
Other groups despise it.
And some are just "meh" when it's brought up.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:12 am
So far, both my brother and sister are fine with it. My sister reads some of my shonen ai mangas, and even my brother does too. And he likes yuri and shoujo ai lots, so he shouldn't get on me about it anyway. We make fun of eachother sometimes, though. And since I have such liberal parents, if they ever figured out if I like dudes together, they'd probably only make fun of me(especially my step dad. xD). My dad-dad.... wow, I don't even wanna know. I don't think he'd ever acknowledge it, though. <_< He doesn't spend enough time with me to ever figure it out, and obviously thought the gravi shirt I bought at an anime convention was a boy and a girl. ("Hey, she has the same hat as you!" "*is wearing a pink bunny gravi hat, while Shuichi is on clinging onto Yuki is also wearing one...* "<_<; Yeah... she....") Actually, my mom did too. Haha. xD

A good portion of my friends know. The ones who like anime, anyway. I have a couple who even like yaoi. Some classmates know, too, because they've snooped into my manga. OHHH. And I think some other folks know, cuz I hafta go by the Japanese class room, and once when I wore my "I <3 Yaoi" shirt(which is in some Japanese kanji. Peolpe always ask what it says. >_>;; ), one of my friend's friends stopped me, read it, and was like "... Ohhhh! O_O;;" and was hella laughing. And whenever someone asked him what it said, he was all like "You dun wanna know, man." xDDD~ EDIT: That's really just general immaturity I expect from a boy, yeah? It's not like he's against gays, it's that grossed out thing. :PP

If everyone in all my classes knew I liked yaoi, generally I'd say they'd all have different reactions. My school and city is really diverse, so... O: But I think a lot of misunderstandings about it would be the general response. Actually, a lot of people who even know a good deal of what anime is don't even understand yaoi and yuri. It's really weird about the misconceptions people get. sweatdrop Not all yaoi fans just randomly pair up guys, and like it just because it "replaces the rival". Hm. @w@;;

But yeah... I think I'd let it show a hella lot more if I lived in a rednecky area. I'm like that. <_<;

Foxy Grampa

The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces