Quick ska question - Checkers. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chibi faery

Anxious Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:47 am
You learn something new everyday =3 (Except everything I own with checkers is blue and white checkers xd Oh well....)  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:20 pm
i've seen checkered backpacks they are everywhere checkers are "in" now  

cheesemonkey

boy_no_13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:42 am
cheesemonkey

Hmm, cant work out if thats good or not. Probably is- Id love a checkered backpack! whee  
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:44 pm
I went to a thrift shop and they had huge amounts of checkered clothing I bought so much. Almost bought a suit.(Checkered) Didn't have enough I bought 5 ska band shirts checkered backpack,gloves(I use them to play drums), a belt,and much more.(It was awesome.)  

eddievedder#1

SkaBanana

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:21 pm
cheesemonkey

I remeber two years ago in high school when even almost every kid had checkered stuff. It was in style and so many people had it, my school looked like Alice In Wonderland.  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:20 pm
It's sort of like "the game of life" mixed in with an anti-racism message, like black and white. Also, it's 'don't be square' and is an emblem of the ska community. You know how the Jamaican flag colors stand for Marcus Garvey or reggae? Well, checkers are a lot like the flag for British ska bands. Except we have no Marcus Garvey.  

Queenie42

409 in your coffee

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:59 am
1 word, unity.

cool  
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:49 pm
its great, im the only rudy in my whole school! I wear a suit for casual mean while every one has their shorts half way down their a**. I love the stareing. Checkers are the whole white and black thing. Taking Jamican regae (The black) And mixing it with british rock (The white) Making the checkers. XD Fun facts!  

glryrox

Peel Slowly And See

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:20 am
cheesemonkey

Hehe I have a checkered Jnsport back pack. I love it VERY much it's so...sexy? surprised  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:21 am
Mistress Gravy
cheesemonkey

Hehe I have a checkered Jnsport back pack. I love it VERY much it's so...sexy? surprised

Oh man, I've seen one of those back packs at my school, and I want one for next year so bad.  

Electric Uncle Akuma

Peel Slowly And See

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:57 am
Electric Uncle Akuma
Mistress Gravy
cheesemonkey

Oh man, I've seen one of those back packs at my school, and I want one for next year so bad.

Hey you, don't watch that. Watch this. This is the heavy heavy monster sound. The nuttiest sound around....

Try Mervyn's. That's where I got mine. wink

...So if you've come in off the street, and you're beginning to feel the heat, well listen buster you better start to move your feet to the rockinest rock steady beat of Madness...One Step Beyond!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:01 pm
whether or not its popular it represents something that i strongly believe in i wear them quite often. i have 4 checkered shirts. checkered skirt. check arm warmers, bracelets, one earring(lost the other at a mustard plug show), a very worn out pair of checkered shoes, a check tie, check braces, the list continues but i am off topic now. the ska scene much with sharp culture is very strong in their antiracist actions. something to be proud that your rude for.  

inureyez

osozaki girl

Fashionable Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:56 am
Rudie Cant Fail
Are they jut for ska though? I have this "friend" who sits at my art table who has this too die for checkered bag, and I was like "hey, you like ska?" And she was like "Huh? Ska?" It broke my heart...but I worry not anymore, she's very much exposed to ska now >-<

So, does it represent punk or anything? She's very much into those crappy pop punk bands neutral

There was this girl I sort of knoew who always wore checkered stuff and played trumpet in band.
I thought she mighta like ska, but then I remembered she owned like, 50 Hawethorne Heights Shirts D:  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:16 am
(and here he comes, the "know-it-all-skin, Leveller" xP)

TODAY, Checkers stands for black&white unite.

BACK IN THE DAYS, When Dammers founded 2Tone (that would bring the checkred patern together with Ska) He took the checkred design from the tape he used to decorate his bike "to make it look more mod", and the reason he took it was just because it looked good, no politics or ANYTHING other than the reaseon "it looked good/cool".

How do I know this? I read it in an interview with Dammers about Ska and 2Tone in a ltd. edition issue of Mojo they dedicated to Ska and everything around it (the clothing and etc. etc.)  

Leveller

CheewawaMewmi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:51 pm
Thanks, Leveller. Took the words out of my mouth.

Rude Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff