Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply [Rant and Rave]_____GLBT, Life-Topics, Politics, Rants
I have a pretty serious problem! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Look a Poll!
  Why YES it IS!
View Results

The broken puppet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:36 pm
If you have your own room, place a "keep out" sign on it and keep the door closed 24/7 I'd do that if I was able to close my door. But then again, I live with my mom and she respects my private life, something grandparents rarely do ><  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:55 am
Iras - Sneakiness

Well, my parents personally don't care, but sometimes I am housed at people who do's home, so I'll tell you what I did.
1) Find the right hours of the day, perhaps when they are asleep or after you've said you are going to sleep...
2) Keep the cover face down and if they walk in, have a mark open to a page with no yaoi, perhaps even het, on it.
3) If you can, at times you think you may be walked in on, only read mangas with uber-femme bishounen. Then just tell them it's a chick.

eduardo galpaleano

Liberal Ladykiller

9,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Oo~LoveLess~Ritsuka~Oo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:16 pm
Awesome! Loveless and Gravitation are my favorite animes!! heart *Huggles* Anwayz...you shouldn't have told your grandparetns in the first place...I mean seriously! Just read it at school or when no ones home. Luckily my parents are under the belife that all femmy lookin anime boys are girls sweatdrop ..damn an i lucky or what?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:42 pm
lurkindarkness
Iras - Sneakiness

3) If you can, at times you think you may be walked in on, only read mangas with uber-femme bishounen. Then just tell them it's a chick.
3nodding I agree with Darkness. Its what I do. My dad knows the fact I read yaoi, and he doesn't let me buy stuff like 'Passion' (Since its 18 and up.) since he says I'm only allowed to buy books I'm old enough for (Basically, in order to buy a 16 and up book I have to be 16. Which I am, thankfully. ^^) but I do that anyway.

Why..? Because then he'll want to talk about it again, and again. Even though I've already tried to explain why I like yaoi/shonen-ai he still wants to talk about it. (He just doesn't get it.....still.)

But thats the best advice I can come up with. It shouldn't be too hard anyway, mrgreen since Ritsuka and Shuichi look like girls anyway. xd xp (I own both series too......*squeals* they're awesome!! But I only have Loveless #1....2 doesn't come out 'till June for me!! gonk But I own all 12 Gravi mangas and the new novel.)

~GoddessSelene~

runicshadow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:16 pm
Kaay-chan
buy a couple of hard cover books that are about manga sized and then take off the book covers. Hide the books, and put the book coveres on the manga. As long as they don't see the inside of the book you're reading, you're fine. Make sure it's a book you like and that you would read more than once, so then if some one asks why you keep reading the same books over and over again, you can just say that it's so good you can't stop reading it. I've never had to do this before, so I don't know if it would work, but it's worth a shot, right?

a bit excessive...  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:06 pm
I See Your Delema.  

Lord Metalisk

kruegs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:39 pm
I said to my Dad that yaoi is like Brokeback Mountain in comic book form, and the Academy gave that movie Oscars. I am an adult however so he can't enforce some sort of literary ban on me. My Dad used to be more homophobic but I am rather convincing in my arguments with my family. (eg. influenced the party they voted for in the Federal Election.) I had a gay friend in high school, most of my graduating class was accepting of him and frowned on those that made idiotic remarks about him. After this exposure my family is more accepting. I read my yaoi at home, at the U I go to, at my club meetings...etc. I can offer you hope for the future. One day will come when your grandparents can not lord it over you any more. I would think that you are not reading anything out of your age allowance, so being under 18 means you have no smex scenes in the mangas. If you go to a post secondary school, checkout an anime club, you will find people that accept your hobby. I am the current president of the anime club at my university, it's great! I am also lucky in that my yaoi source is a local store that sponsors our club. biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:52 pm
Oh dear that is a problem. I went through the same thing when my dad found out what yaoi was, and that was only after he bought me Gravitation and Yellow (a very good but mature yaoi). The best advise I can give is to just read it anyway, whether it be at home or at school. Your grandparents will probaly still find it wrong but they might learn to accept it, like my dad.

Killed by the Fall

Chifufuni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:43 am
Well i'm pretty much sure that what i'm going to say has been said but its worth a try.

1. If you buy a yaoi manga with two guys on the cover and one of them looks like a girl. Take advantage of that and say its a girl.

2. If they ask you what the storyline is about. Pretend it doesn't have yaoi and talk about something else that goes on in the book and pretend its the story. Example: In Gravitation. Say its about a boy trying to become a singer and this guy helps him out along the way.

3. Keep reading your yaoi and learn to deal with them (your grandparents).

I hope that helps.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:31 am
Awww that really sucks, finding a book cover to go over it isnt a bad idea, you can always go to the library or sit and read it at the book store =/ poor you *Pats head*  

Sexxiedanka02

Machina_Mage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:50 am
Well if they walk in again and ask what you're reading, don't lie...just omit. Let's say you're reading Gravitation. They ask you what it's about, say "its this awesome manga about this kid called Shuichi and he wants to be a pop star and there's this other guy who like writes books and stuff and he's really mean to Shuichi" and just get all excited and talk about it nonstop until they leave. If you get in any -real- tight situations, swear up and down that one of them's a girl.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:57 am
I just tell anyone in my family that asks that yaoi is a 'art style' it works.  

Riosin

MarvelousMinerva

Benevolent Phantom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:00 pm
Maybe you could hide your manga books inside of a bigger book. Like you could pretend to be reading some novel or some homework book or something, but really be reading the manga inside. And if you're worried that they might see the cover, maybe you can get some of those notebook covers to use for your manga series. I know this advice may not work, but it's the best I can come up with. I'm sorry about your predicament, I wish you the best of luck!  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:24 pm
YOu really should not have told them. no one I know knows I like yoai and thats the way It has to stay. I liked yoai before I found Gaia that was hard *damn FAnfiction getting us all into yoai* any way so you could stay internet based. thats about all I can give you. good luck though. heart  

Sumarra

Sparkly Shapeshifter

Chibi Slasher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:44 pm
Konkuro
Quote:
You probably shouldn't have told them in the first place.

Avoid the topic like the plague?

they pretty much MADE me tell them! if they are like "What did you get?" And im like "Nothing." or "Just some anime" They'll get suspicious!
I would have discribed some other manga that I read that's Soujo[sp? sweatdrop ] like "Fruits Basket" oO;

heh, well, it works with my mom.  
[Rant and Rave]_____GLBT, Life-Topics, Politics, Rants

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces