Reply Extended Discussion
Ring Around The Rosies...and other morbidity. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[ Die Katze ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:04 pm
i absolutely loved learning about the black plague. it was funny to see the disgust on people's faces as i was smiling, eager to know more. i found out what the 'ring around the rosie' song meant in like, 5th grade. i've loved it ever since.

it was so great...

@ [Rosetta Stoned] : My brother can remember things from three months old. ceilisidhe could have a photographic memory, likened to my brother, and can remember things from quite the early age.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:49 pm
[ Die Katze ]
i absolutely loved learning about the black plague. it was funny to see the disgust on people's faces as i was smiling, eager to know more. i found out what the 'ring around the rosie' song meant in like, 5th grade. i've loved it ever since.

it was so great...

@ [Rosetta Stoned] : My brother can remember things from three months old. ceilisidhe could have a photographic memory, likened to my brother, and can remember things from quite the early age.

Sadly my memory is far from eidetic - my life is composed of large gaps spanning years with but a few poignant memories strewn about like leaves newly settled after an autumn gust. Still, my mind is an odd one, and I thank thee for your stance.  

ceilisidhe

Genica Pussywillow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:44 pm
[ Die Katze ]

it was so great...

[That's just bullshitXD]
[No-one can remember before age 3, at least]

[Also, ceilisidhe, talking like you do makes you look like you're trying waay too hard. It's irritating and it doesn't make you look intelligent in the slightest.]  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:47 am
^ Telling random people they are wrong without any evidence is foolish, and using poor language makes it more so. Indeed, memory begins well before the age of three, with short term memory reaching near-adult levels within one year.

Try not to spout off too much. It, "makes you look like you're trying waay too hard. It's irritating and it doesn't make you look intelligent in the slightest."  

zz1000zz
Crew

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:00 am
[Rosetta Stoned]
[Even if you have a high IQ, you wouldn't be able to remember things from age two.]

It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. My mother's earliest memory goes back to when she was about 19 months old, and has been corroborated by relatives. The first thing I remember happened about a month before I turned three.

Some people claim to remember being born, which I don't believe for a minute. But considering the developmental stages young children go through, remembering things from about 18 months onward is perfectly plausible.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:12 am
An interesting note about the Black Death: The deadiest form of the plagues that ravaged Europe seems not to exist anymore.

The Black Plague was bubonic, but more than one strain of the desease was involved. Many modern cases of bubonic plague in humans have been studied, but none show the same symptoms as the form of medieval plague that could kill within 24 hours. There's plenty of medieval source material, and most of it goes into graphic, precise detail of the stages the sick went through. After reading through the texts, I suspect the most virulent form of Black Death was destroyed by its own success.

Essentially, it killed people too quickly. This didn't give it much time to spread from one host to another. In densely populated cities, this was no problem. But after it had slayed 1/3 of the population (more in some areas!), human numbers were so thinned that some neighborhoods were totally abandoned. The plague did last through several waves of infections, cropping up more at certain times of year than at others. But the swifter, more dangerous form probably died along with its last victims.  

Veruniel
Crew

-Lasciate Ogni Speranza-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:17 am
[Rosetta Stoned]
ceilisidhe
Kitsune-Yokai
ceilisidhe
In my fever - induced delirium I hummed the old nursery rhyme while contemplating the meaning behind the ditty and others like it. I'll share;

Ring around the rosies
sores from the bubonic plague were open sores with red swelling surrounding
A pocket full of posies
posies had a strong aroma and so were placed in the pockets of the bodies to help mask the stench before being placed on the street for pick-up by "burners"
Ashes, ashes
the bodies were incinerated in huge piles in the town square
We all fall down
no matter the precautions tens of thousands died. On a side note it was the church's decree that cats were demonic (hence superstitions about black cats) which caused a shortage of them (they were often captured and killed). Without cats to control the rat population.....you see the point.

London Bridges, amusingly enough, is about the French Revolution.

Feel free to post other rhymes with morbid or hidden undertones. (one about falling from branches comes to mind)

No offense, but those are really commonly known. You don't need a fever to figure that out. I learned it in 7th grade history. That was 3 years ago.

Sorry to have been less than clear in my post - actually I knew the meaning when I was 2 (yes, I said two.My I.Q. is rated as the top 5% in the world)as my grandmere was eccentric. I merely stated that my fever brought back fond memories of amusingly morbid songs. I'd speak of others of interest to me only I haven't the inclination anymore. Perhaps another day I shall dust this topic off ere I bring it to the fore once again.

[Even if you have a high IQ, you wouldn't be able to remember things from age two.]

|You have just been punjabbed|

There's a possibility that he could. You'd be surprised at some of the things people remember from an early age. I agree with Ceilisidhe. I can forget many things really easily, but other parts of my memory are very vivid (I have a few memories from ages 2 and 3 years old). Never say something is impossible just because you haven't encountered it personally.

|Have a nice day!|

Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces