Kelso The Great

Hilarious Hellraiser

14,950 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:14 pm
I have a few questions and comments.
1) what happened to the guild exactly to make it go inactive for so long? It seemed as though it tore itself apart from the inside out, I thought it had been pretty much abandoned. I understand there have been a few leadership changes, but it started to get to where there were a bunch of contests and s**t that made it seem like they were losing sight of what the goals are.
2) In my guild hiatus, I have been posting in the forums like crazy and working on my own ideas. One I have heard recently was a Marketplace Boycott. Meaning you stop buying and selling. Basically it would be like an account freeze, but voluntary. The only down side I see to this is that the Marketplace tax is the most effective sink. Another idea I heard recently was to raise the tax much higher for very expensive, over inflated items in the 10mil and up range to keep a lid on inflation.
3) I have many theories about this situation, and have a pretty good grasp about what is going on, so if anyone here would like to ask questions, feel free to.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:29 pm
Kelso The Great
1) what happened to the guild exactly to make it go inactive for so long? It seemed as though it tore itself apart from the inside out, I thought it had been pretty much abandoned. I understand there have been a few leadership changes, but it started to get to where there were a bunch of contests and s**t that made it seem like they were losing sight of what the goals are.
2) In my guild hiatus, I have been posting in the forums like crazy and working on my own ideas. One I have heard recently was a Marketplace Boycott. Meaning you stop buying and selling. Basically it would be like an account freeze, but voluntary. The only down side I see to this is that the Marketplace tax is the most effective sink. Another idea I heard recently was to raise the tax much higher for very expensive, over inflated items in the 10mil and up range to keep a lid on inflation.
3) I have many theories about this situation, and have a pretty good grasp about what is going on, so if anyone here would like to ask questions, feel free to.

The guild did in fact go through a bunch of leadership changes. Our captain left, then returned, then left again three days later. The holidays were hectic for many of the crew so we were unable to get online. As much as Gaia means to us, real life does come first and many of us have families and holiday responsibilities. I myself lost internet for quite a while and after had spotty connection due to some power issues in my apartment complex.

As of right now the crew is still changing. Keep your ears perked for updates in that area as we settle in, decide new roles, and try to get this guild back on track.

Personally I wasn't particularly fond of the amount of holiday contests. As a group the staff has decided to go ahead and cut back on those. You won't see any big events like that for quite a while. Right now we're focusing on getting input from the users to best determine our course of action next.

We need to hear what you guys have to say. There aren't many of us on crew and we can't possibly cover the amazing spectrum of ideas that come from within our community.

While I'm sure you have a pretty good grasp on the situation, we would prefer that no misinformation go out to our members and have them acting on things that aren't from a first hand source. If you do have first hand sources to back up your theories, please let us know so that we can cite them in an upcoming endeavor to show users what are and aren't reliable sources for information.

Thanks so much for your comments and your continued work to further the goals of the guild and the under-represented members of Gaia.  

xx I met my fate xx

Distrustful Gaian

26,215 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

TheJesterGuy

Aged Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:48 pm
kujjles

As much as I enjoy the idea of a day of silence, someone said something about it being effective cause they won't get people's money from it. I'm willing to bet though, that most of the people who participate in day of silence don't spend money on gaia already, I could be quite wrong there though. But, it's a corporation, they're not gonna bat an eyelash if a group of people who are already refusing to give them money leave for a day/a week/a month even. What we'd need to do is draw in some of the people giving them cash. We need to make an effect on the users, who will take more notice (someone here said a bunch of their guildies and friends left so it makes a bigger impact on individuals than corporation junk heads). I think we need to try to spread the idea around, get people who spend money on the site on the bandwagon, really make the users see how much of an impact this has, how many of their threads just freeze, guilds, etc. Especially if we go for a longer time? Think of it. We, and our supporters would vanish. Then, bored with the lack of activity in threads and guilds, more people go on the x-amount-of-time hiatus, possibly more follow even. When it gets to a good amount of their cash users bugging out for a while... then they'll start taking notice.

I don't know if the scale I'm thinking is possible to achieve. I get the feeling that a lot of people who are still really into the money spending are younger folks who wouldn't understand the issue and what we stand for, people who just go to mum n dad for $40 every month or what have you. It's just based on how they seem to present themselves when they talk to me anyway. But... if we could achieve a grand scale thing like I mentioned above... that would be wonderful. It would require effort from a lot more than just guild heads, but I'd help spread the message.

Yeah. Thinking better, this is not a good idea at all. It will just backfire in a bad way.
If we got more people to join the cause and less pro-gold generator supporters, I'd be a viable option.

dark pillow

Yeah, I agree. Only those who have so much to spend that they can just throw their gold around or those who want the items really badly would buy them. :I

If that is true then I can only expect that the items they intend to put in the shop will be as expensive as the re-colors currently in dernier cri. :U I was hoping for re-colors of newer items rather than only the super old ones. Reasons being that they can justify taking alot more gold for the old items (since the originals are way overpriced) and the fact that I honestly like the newer items better. xD The last one is just a personal preference though.

Take me for instance. There has been times when I have been able to afford the old MC re-colors, and sure, I'd fancy me a devil tail... But not enough to spend 6mill on one. o.o I thought the point was making it available to more people? I think maybe around 200k would have been okay? 500k max. If it costs more then I won't buy it because that kinda money can get so much more in the marketplace.

But man, I really do hope they don't only put re-colors of old MCs in the shop... ;.;

I hope it doesn't happen so. I'd be nicier if they could give you more accessible prices without having to resort to playing the market every single time.

I hope the same. I had enough of so much recolors, because they just passed the barrier of laziness right now with all these stuff in La Victorie.

xx I met my fate xx

Honestly, it's not that small of a percentage. A million gold is almost nothing these days and MOST people have at least that much. I think it's a good gold sink. Items that were doomed to be CS recolours anyway are at least being sold for gold so that people who don't spend real money on Gaia can get them.

I can afford everything they've put out so far, I just don't want them. They haven't released anything I think "OMG I GOTTA HAVE!" because I don't want to spend 1million gold for one pose.

I see. It's indeed very easy to gain 1 mil nowadays.

However, my problem with DC is that only a few items are appealing and so expensive at the same time. I'd require some patience and self-control to get there.
So, yeah, DC to me is an average "gold sink" but not one of the best.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:49 pm
xx I met my fate xx

The guild did in fact go through a bunch of leadership changes. Our captain left, then returned, then left again three days later. The holidays were hectic for many of the crew so we were unable to get online. As much as Gaia means to us, real life does come first and many of us have families and holiday responsibilities. I myself lost internet for quite a while and after had spotty connection due to some power issues in my apartment complex.

As of right now the crew is still changing. Keep your ears perked for updates in that area as we settle in, decide new roles, and try to get this guild back on track.

Personally I wasn't particularly fond of the amount of holiday contests. As a group the staff has decided to go ahead and cut back on those. You won't see any big events like that for quite a while. Right now we're focusing on getting input from the users to best determine our course of action next.

We need to hear what you guys have to say. There aren't many of us on crew and we can't possibly cover the amazing spectrum of ideas that come from within our community.

While I'm sure you have a pretty good grasp on the situation, we would prefer that no misinformation go out to our members and have them acting on things that aren't from a first hand source. If you do have first hand sources to back up your theories, please let us know so that we can cite them in an upcoming endeavor to show users what are and aren't reliable sources for information.

Thanks so much for your comments and your continued work to further the goals of the guild and the under-represented members of Gaia.

Well if you think I would spread misinformation purposely then you obviously have no clue about who I am. I have attempted to be a regular in the SF and GCD, and often discuss these issues. I have come to consider myself and a few others as a voice of reason in a sea of speculation.
Some things have become common knowledge, like the existence of GGens and inflation, but as I have said many times before, G.I. has left the community to speculate about what is going on. Good luck finding first hand sources for everything.
I do believe I said I had theories, not facts. If you don't like what I have to say, I can take myself elsewhere, but trust me when I say that I can be a very good ally. If you really want this guild on the right track, making members feel as if their thoughts and ideas are not fully welcome is not the way to do it. One must consider all possibilities. Whether they be accurate or not is for the individual to ascertain for itself.  

Kelso The Great

Hilarious Hellraiser

14,950 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

xx I met my fate xx

Distrustful Gaian

26,215 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:01 pm
Kelso The Great
xx I met my fate xx

Well if you think I would spread misinformation purposely then you obviously have no clue about who I am. I have attempted to be a regular in the SF and GCD, and often discuss these issues. I have come to consider myself and a few others as a voice of reason in a sea of speculation.
Some things have become common knowledge, like the existence of GGens and inflation, but as I have said many times before, G.I. has left the community to speculate about what is going on. Good luck finding first hand sources for everything.
I do believe I said I had theories, not facts. If you don't like what I have to say, I can take myself elsewhere, but trust me when I say that I can be a very good ally. If you really want this guild on the right track, making members feel as if their thoughts and ideas are not fully welcome is not the way to do it. One must consider all possibilities. Whether they be accurate or not is for the individual to ascertain for itself.

I'm sorry if you misread my tone. I did not mean to imply that you would ever purposefully spread misinformation. I was merely pointing out that while theories are always welcome, I don't necessarily believe it is a good idea for members to be PMing you with their questions. We do have a guild staff for that. I know you are only doing your best to be helpful and further the cause but I would like to remind everyone, not just you, to make sure that theories are labeled clearly as such and not as fact. There is enough controversy in the Gaia community as it is without rumours that can't be verified getting out of hand.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:02 pm
Umioko

» Gold Generator Names :: Yeah, this one seems like it's not a huge deal. Well it's been bothering me with how they're naming things. Flynn's Booty/Chest, Santa's Sack, and even shops like Sam's Body and Parts and Ruby's Rack. I can't stand them! It's disgusting to me. Why can't they just not do that and name them more proper names without any sexual hints to them? It's usually women too, naming their body parts and such like their objects. /ragerantmybrotheratealotofnutterbutters

I loved your whole post, but I especially love this part! I'm so sick of the gross innuendos! I didn't realize it when Sam's Body and Parts came out because I was kinda really naive, but my dad saw it over my shoulder and started laughing and had to explain it to me. (Jeez, that was a looong time ago. sweatdrop )
It's becoming increasingly common for them to pump out these names and I think it's hardly appropriate for a site catering to people as young as 13. I haven't seen many young users lately, though. Most of us are "old" now.  

Pegasaurus Rex

Stone-cold Loiterer

Pegasaurus Rex

Stone-cold Loiterer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:17 pm
Diabolic Edge

Aside from my complaining (sorry for the rant), I would like the idea of "Day of Silence", though I'm not too sure how affective this would be, given the thousands of people who log on each day, and a few hundred wouldn't really make a difference, well, enough to be noticed. I rarely get on as it is.

Hi Edge, and don't worry about ranting. Sometimes you just have to let it all out.

About the Day of Silence, my personal take on it is that there's not much we can control on Gaia except ourselves. We can choose not to log in to show our dissatisfaction and that's beneficial to some who actually want to "do something". We may not have many participants, but I remember from the last time we did this there were many people (myself included) who felt refreshed after taking that day off. I log into Gaia pretty much every day and it's hard--especially with things so negative.
I think the Day of Silence is a good way for us to say "I don't approve" and also take a much needed break. I came back with a clearer view on things and a few new ideas. That tends to happen whenever I step back from a problem. "You can't see the forest for the trees", as they say.
Those who don't want to don't have to participate, but I would like to have a few things going at once so people have options for how to make themselves heard.

Silence is sometimes heard the most, in my opinion.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:19 pm
shamantra
This is great, it's such a shame that gaia stopped the ATA, even though most of my questions were ignored, since they pertained to gaia aquarium community, it still was important for staff and the community. Apparantly dead set on increasing their cash, and not wanting to see the overwhelming disapproval of most of us, they bypassed it by closing. Sad!

I would just like ANYTHING related to giving us fish back in gaia aquarium, this is my priority request. I'd be happy with ONE more fish. I'll expand later on other issues too. Just wanted to check in and say thanks for this heart

I agree, the ATA gave us a chance to feel like we might make a difference and get some answers. Now we hardly have a clue at what's going on. sad

I'll make sure to include aquarium updates in my e-mail to Gaia. I know how much you love your fish. whee  

Pegasaurus Rex

Stone-cold Loiterer

TheJesterGuy

Aged Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:19 pm
Umioko

» Recolors :: Is anyone else getting tired of all of these recolors? I am! I mean, they're neat and all. I understand that people love them, but there's so many now it's a bit ridiculous. I feel that once an item has been recolored two or three times over, it is no longer as unique. I'm just a bit tired of seeing them. A lot of them are recolored the same shades/tints of certain colors too (but I guess they do that to match other items). Here, below are two avatars made completely with recolored items. I am so sick of seeing that tint of blue and pink. D:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

» New Items :: It might just be me, but the new items (like Cash Shop ones I believe) do not seem so great. Like, some leg poses look so similar and boring now. Lately I feel as if I've been seeing the same things over and over. Are there less "new" items released now? I really don't know, thanks to the 12 Recolors of Christmas. I don't really consider recolors as new items. There just seems to be less new releases.

» Site Updates :: Speaking of announcements, I haven't seen any regarding updating the site with the fixes and changes in a while. Sure there was that New Years one letting us know what to expect, but I really haven't seen any updates besides that. What about the Dev Notices or something? Was that discontinued as well? Or maybe it's been a while and I've already forgotten about it. Ah, I really don't know anymore. I need to start paying better attention.

» Gold Generator Names :: Yeah, this one seems like it's not a huge deal. Well it's been bothering me with how they're naming things. Flynn's Booty/Chest, Santa's Sack, and even shops like Sam's Body and Parts and Ruby's Rack. I can't stand them! It's disgusting to me. Why can't they just not do that and name them more proper names without any sexual hints to them? It's usually women too, naming their body parts and such like their objects. /ragerantmybrotheratealotofnutterbutters

» Flynn's Booty Threads :: So I've got a suggestion on what people could maybe take part in if they want to! I was inspired by this thread here. Took forever to find it again. Please read the thread, I think it's a really great idea. I would be neat if the guild took part in this, I think. It would be neat if a lot of members made one on the same day or within the same week. Maybe on the day or week the next Flynn is introduced from making an announcement or something about this? It would help advertise the guild too, perhaps if you have a banner in your signature or something. Maybe each new topic could link back to that thread too? To show where we got our inspiration and how unified we are or so. These kinds of threads usually get a lot of <3's too. Perhaps we can leave that in when creating a new thread to show there's a lot of support.

I guess that's enough from me, haha. Thanks again for hosting these and listening. c:

Very well put together comment, lady. Thank you. smile

Recolors
Ugh, recolors. I also had enough of them, because this "tactic" is getting old too fast.

New Items
I also think the same. There's only a few selected that I considered nice, but since recolors and gold generators had taken the spotlight, you won't see too much new stuff. It's a pity 'cuz I liked from Deen's Potion 2nd Gen, Mathematical Knight and the "Verdant Grove" stuff.

Site Updates
The last announcement I ever read regarding such a thing was when after the site went offline almost for a bunch of hours.
Uncle Kenny posted an alert regarding about this situation and that they were working in this issue:

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/gaia-news-updates/staff-updates/t.63632027_1052/#1052

Other than this... nope.

Gold Generator Names
Well, it depends of the person, really. It's the same deal with the number 69: some people see it as a number but some see it as a reference to explicit sex.
So if there's something or someone to blame is our "nature". Sometimes too much information can disrupt our senses, you know...

Flynn's Booty Threads
Your idea sounds great. That would be a good plan to get heard but...

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/gaia-community-discussion/who-actually-buys-flynn-s-booty-chest/t.88914699_364/#364

...you risk calling the attention of people like this: pro-gold generator buyers and "fanatic cult followers" of this current leadership, where the latter want nothing but have a piece of us in a "fight".
But I guess it's like they say: everything in life has a price to be paid.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:25 pm
Shuukakuusha
Remember yesterday
Think about tomorrow

User Image
Oh, but I love this retaliation!
You honour your credo!

I am too young a member to have questions thus far.
Consider this reply a cuddo's and a belated happy new-year!

But live today
Life is to short anyway

Thanks for showing up and giving support! It really is appreciated and it helps us to know what our members like/don't like.

Happy new year to you, as well! 3nodding  

Pegasaurus Rex

Stone-cold Loiterer

Pegasaurus Rex

Stone-cold Loiterer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:29 pm
Negi163
Just going to say
w/ all these gc sales shoved in our faces

I never brought anything gc in months

just here to browse good art and chat w/ friends. = w =

I haven't bought GC in my life, so I always have wondered what it's like for people that were accustomed to buying it. Did the prices discourage you or was it the amount of sales? Or both?

I recently started buying avatar art, myself. I never knew how many people drew so well! I wish members were allowed to have their own shop where they could sell pixels your avatar could actually wear, because some of artists are great at pixels and coding and all that jazz.

I don't know how well that could work out, but that would be one heck of a gold sink. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:43 pm
Pegasaurus Rex

I haven't bought GC in my life, so I always have wondered what it's like for people that were accustomed to buying it. Did the prices discourage you or was it the amount of sales? Or both?

I recently started buying avatar art, myself. I never knew how many people drew so well! I wish members were allowed to have their own shop where they could sell pixels your avatar could actually wear, because some of artists are great at pixels and coding and all that jazz.

I don't know how well that could work out, but that would be one heck of a gold sink. xd

Well, I never bought items that were above 299 GC, so I can't help you that much. sweatdrop
As for this GC spamming is just annoying. The only item that are worth something now are the RIGs, like "Verdant Grove". That RIG had very interesting items.

Yeah. I guess that suggestion must have been thrown around a long time ago.
I'd be good if they had an art shop instead of using the forums to do such a thing.

Not to mention I'd be easier to see what each artist can do and who you'd want to have a commission with. smile  

TheJesterGuy

Aged Gaian

Pegasaurus Rex

Stone-cold Loiterer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:48 pm
Kelso The Great

I'm sorry if we weren't very clear on the whole situation. It's been a very hard and confusing transition.

As Fate said, we lost our captain without any notice and I really wasn't in the right mindset to become captain--which I suddenly had to be. Then Christmas came and we tried to do a few too many things at once and well, hence the re-evaluation to bring the guild back to its roots. I got the hang of the whole captain thing now (mostly) and am trying out a few ideas. This ATG is one of them, and it seems like so far so good right now. It may not seem like it, but we're actually planning a lot and trying to figure things our on how this guild would best be run. We do have real lives and problems so sometimes things are slow in going, but I think it's good that you're proactive because this guild isn't a "follow what we say and do nothing else" kind of thing. Basically it's a safe place to voice ideas and not have to be worried about being harassed in SF.

I have seen you around SF and I liked some of your posts. The Marketplace Boycott is very interesting. I do agree that the MP tax is probably the most effective gold sink we have right now and that's why I've been buying high-priced items and selling them a little cheaper sometimes just to try to lower the ABP, but mostly to take gold out of the system. I don't think I've managed to lower the ABP on anything, though. I never sell it low enough for a vendor to think "I'm gonna buy that and hike up the price", so nothing has been affected drastically.

Are you referring to the tax Uncle Kenny made a thread about a few months ago? Man, that was crazy. It's a hard thing because if the tax is higher, people don't make as much money and it mostly hurts the people who have less gold. At least, it hurts them more.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:54 pm
Pegasaurus Rex
Negi163
Just going to say
w/ all these gc sales shoved in our faces

I never brought anything gc in months

just here to browse good art and chat w/ friends. = w =

It has nothing to do with the prices of the items recently.

Spending cash used to be something we did out of love for this place. Now we're being thrown nothing but GC sales in our faces. (Okay, excuse me, when get 1 gold shop update a month rolleyes )

That's like saying "so, since you were so willing to spend GC before, let me just trample on that kindness and see how far we can stretch that wallet of yours. it's for your own good, really, I mean, you guys wanted to be nice and spend GC, so now we're giving you all the GC buying opportunities you can get. aren't we such accomodating people?"

No thanks.  

piggyzhou

Godlike Angel

19,750 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Wing Mastery 100

TheJesterGuy

Aged Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:55 pm
Well, here are some threads that would be interesting to "annex" to this ATG:

http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=24132913