Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
what is the great rite? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:31 pm
Neko_Bast

Yep ^-^ I didn't find anything that I didn't already know. I don't have acsess to Trad coven stuff so to some people its still not quite the same.

Ummmm... Lack of Wiccan Context makes it not the Wiccan Great Rite.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:36 pm
Neko_Bast

Yep ^-^ I didn't find anything that I didn't already know. I don't have acsess to Trad coven stuff so to some people its still not quite the same.

I'm in the prosess of anwering Reaguns questions in my journal.....

If you don't have the initated Wiccan knowledge, then you've got an ecclectic pagan viewpoint.

That's not bad or anything.  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:43 pm
Nuri

If you don't have the initated Wiccan knowledge, then you've got an ecclectic pagan viewpoint.

Bingo. After all, Sacred Sex traditions pre-date Wicca by thousands of years.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:54 pm
Neko_Bast
I've even preformed it.

What you preformed may have been Sanctified Sex, it may have been a magical ritual, it may even have been hieros gamos but it was NOT the Great Rite. The Great Rite can only be preformed by a High Priestess and High Priest. This sentence is 100% accurate from a non-wiccan understanding and any non-wiccan observer looking at it would agree with the idea that it is the Priest and Priestess engaging in the ritual. If you have preformed the Great Rite, you will be able to tell me why that is not the case from a Wiccan perspective.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:57 pm
TeaDidikai
Nuri

Bingo. After all, Sacred Sex traditions pre-date Wicca by thousands of years.

Seriously. There's likely hundreds of ideas similar to the Wiccan Great Rite, without being the Rite itself.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:16 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

TeaDidikai

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:50 pm
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:06 pm

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:10 pm
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:27 pm
TeaDidikai
We call this argumentum ad verecundiam and argumentum ad numerum. Neither of which are valid support for your position.

PSA Moment: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/
http://www.fallacyfiles.org/

Two lists of logical fallacies, in English, with some Latin thrown in for flavor. Not that Latin isn't a fantastic language, but I like to eliminate the "But wah, Tea's hurting my head with big Latin words I don't understand and so I can keep on making the same logical fallacies" line of thought.

Quote:
Ummmm... that's a bit silly. Who says scantified sex is a bad thing?

Seriously. Consensual sex is good in any form, whether it's marriage!sex or dirty!sex or cheap!sex or happy!sex or angry!sex, etc. The gods weren't created in the 1950s to enforce happy marriages and traditional gender roles or anything. Some gods can and may outright demand sex as a form of tribute, with or without a partner. They don't necessarily wanna marry you, just for all your climax are belong to them.  

Sivirs

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:34 pm
Sivirs
TeaDidikai
We call this argumentum ad verecundiam and argumentum ad numerum. Neither of which are valid support for your position.

PSA Moment: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/
http://www.fallacyfiles.org/

Two lists of logical fallacies, in English, with some Latin thrown in for flavor. Not that Latin isn't a fantastic language, but I like to eliminate the "But wah, Tea's hurting my head with big Latin words I don't understand and so I can keep on making the same logical fallacies" line of thought.
Big Latin Words are good for the soul! scream

Quote:

Seriously. Consensual sex is good in any form, whether it's marriage!sex or dirty!sex or cheap!sex or happy!sex or angry!sex, etc. The gods weren't created in the 1950s to enforce happy marriages and traditional gender roles or anything. Some gods can and may outright demand sex as a form of tribute, with or without a partner. They don't necessarily wanna marry you, just for all your climax are belong to them.
Hell yeah.

Heck, every year I know couples who scantify their sex to mark the date of their wedding.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:40 pm

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:54 pm
Neko_Bast

To me something can only be sanctified after it's considered sinful. I don't see sex as a sin, so calling what I did "sanctified sex" implies that without the rite it was "unholy."
Sanctified: 1)Made holy; freed from sin; consecrated. 2) Sanctimonious; self-righteous
Ummm... or not. Since you have no application of sin within your beliefs, something can be consecrated from a that which is mundane.

My Big Mac isn't holy unto itself- nor is the ale within the Cakes and Ale ritual, nor the liquid within the chalace before the Symbolic Great Rite takes place.

Quote:

Also I didn't say anything was wrong with eclectic rites that are similar to Wiccan ones.
So... why claim your ritual is something it isn't?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:38 pm
I always used sacred or santified in the context of "to be made different, to mark or set aside". Personal definition, not a dictionary one.

No mention of sin whatsoever. I have no concept of sin-but there is one of acceptable to the Gods, and not acceptable to the Gods as a form of worship.  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:35 pm
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items