Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]
Astronomy Summer Term [FINAL is UP] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Astronomy Class outdoors !?
  Sounds about right...
  Awww, I wanted class in the Tower !
View Results

vwinter1114

Friendly Explorer

7,100 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Loiterer 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:48 am
ApostleOfTheWind13

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,

✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧

I love to find out about the birth and death of stars too. They are so destructive but create solar systems and planets as well. It's so amazing!

✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧

Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:17 am
vwinter1114
ApostleOfTheWind13

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Hailey Redgrave, first year Ravenclaw at Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

I know, it's so fun to watch the computer animation! Space truly is one of the great mysteries of our world maybe even the greatest. Can you imagine the measures we would have to take to live out there? The devices that would have to be invented!

Hazel, 10 3/4"
Firm with Phoenix feather core

ApostleOfTheWind13
Crew

Sweet Gaian

SharpProcess

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:07 pm
I'm actually a fan of physics, so I guess you might say, it's the order in chaos that gets me. The math of singularities is particularly fascinating. That sounds a lot colder than I mean it, I think, because other people don't relate to numbers the way I do. Gravity, space, time, oh bby! Plus, the cosmos is pretty and a necessity to life!

At the risk of impropriety, advancement to the next year. xp I do enjoy these classes, they're interesting enough, I just don't care that much about constellations.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:53 pm
Picking up on y'all's conversations...

I don't think it's possible we're the only life in this universe, let alone potential others. Then again, I believe that life is like the starting of a fire: if the conditions are right, then it is not a probability that it will happen, but guaranteed. It's looking at it from the other angle, namely, while everyone else is going, "we exist, so conditions were right" I'm going "the conditions were right, so we exist." In other words, people see our early Earth conditions as a coincidence, chance happening that coincides with the rise of life, while I see those conditions as inevitably causing life.

I'm that way with space, too. Just look at what we call it - space - a lack of stuff, a vast emptiness. But I don't see it that way at all. I think of stuff as the default state of reality, and doubt it's even possible to have a place and time wholly unfilled.

Kenzie, look to the North to find both dippers! If you can find the big dipper, the two stars that make the cup part that aren't connected to the handle, if you follow their line upwards it points to the North star, which is the start of the little dipper's tail. The little dipper looks kind of weird, upside-downy, but the big dipper looks just like a squat cup with a curved handle. Once you find them they will be easy to find again. If you can get a look at them without city lights or a full moon, they'll be easier to see, but if it's too dark all the extra stars can make it confusing. ((The moon is actually so bright tonight at my house in the country that the big dipper is the only constellation I can see at all! Looking North, it's to my left (the Northwest) and looks like it's lying on it's side, the side that points to the little dipper that I can't see right now.))

SharpProcess

Aunt Slappy
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:27 pm
Mothette x
I'm actually a fan of physics, so I guess you might say, it's the order in chaos that gets me. The math of singularities is particularly fascinating. That sounds a lot colder than I mean it, I think, because other people don't relate to numbers the way I do. Gravity, space, time, oh bby! Plus, the cosmos is pretty and a necessity to life!

At the risk of impropriety, advancement to the next year. xp I do enjoy these classes, they're interesting enough, I just don't care that much about constellations.

I love the physics and chemistry and math and pretty much science behind the dynamics of space ! I absolutely love it ! and I honestly love staring at the sky and seeing what constellations are in the night sky that day, the mythology is more of a history lesson, I enjoy teaching it because, it's interesting how people in the past tried to identify the stars and connect it to our world, even though they are so far away...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:33 pm
ApostleOfTheWind13

One difficulty with teaching these lessons behind the constellations....is that i can't define the location of the constellation because we aren't all staring at space from the same angle or view (some people live in northern and southern hemisphere), so not everyone will even have the chance to see some of them

Aunt Slappy
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

ApostleOfTheWind13
Crew

Sweet Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:41 pm
Aunt Slappy
ApostleOfTheWind13

One difficulty with teaching these lessons behind the constellations....is that i can't define the location of the constellation because we aren't all staring at space from the same angle or view (some people live in northern and southern hemisphere), so not everyone will even have the chance to see some of them

Oh...I didn't think about it from that point of view. Still, just learning the stories behind the constellations is just as enjoyable not to mention educational.

Hazel, 10 3/4"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:47 am
ApostleOfTheWind13

Received the 5 pts extra credit for doing a great job in the her classwork !

Aunt Slappy
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

Aunt Slappy
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:56 am
Points awarded for lesson one ! Lesson two will be out later today, At the end of the term the student who showed the most determination for participating will be awarded 25+ points for there house.. this small amount can make a larger difference
-10 for Gryffindor for not doing the assignment
+55 for Ravenclaw
+25 for Hufflepuff
+45 for Slytherin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:44 pm
I thought the switch up to a Syrian myth instead of Greek was interesting. I don't really see the resemblance to a fish though.  

SharpProcess

ApostleOfTheWind13
Crew

Sweet Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:58 pm

I liked that Perseus didn't seem to take his devotion and marriage to Andromeda lightly. He rescued her, fell in love, then fought for her.

Hazel, 10 3/4"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:34 pm
Really? I thought it was kind of disturbing. Andromeda probably didn't have a choice in any of it, certainly not in what her father planned for it and probably not in the marriage to Perseus. And people were killed in that fight. Not exactly what I'd call romantic.  

SharpProcess

Cotton Kitten

Invisible Star

8,450 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:55 pm
Kori walks into the astronomy Tent, much, much to late. "I'm sorry I'm late professor!" She says.

((ooc: I was on vacation with no computer and no wifi last week, and tomorrow I am going away for another week. When I come back, can I do the previous lessen as well as the current one?))

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:33 am
evil-rainbow cat
Kori walks into the astronomy Tent, much, much to late. "I'm sorry I'm late professor!" She says.

((ooc: I was on vacation with no computer and no wifi last week, and tomorrow I am going away for another week. When I come back, can I do the previous lessen as well as the current one?))

Yes you may you will receive house points for the second lesson for the first lesson classwork can't be made up but the hw will be half the points and ex is void.  

Aunt Slappy
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

ApostleOfTheWind13
Crew

Sweet Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:29 pm
Mothette x
Really? I thought it was kind of disturbing. Andromeda probably didn't have a choice in any of it, certainly not in what her father planned for it and probably not in the marriage to Perseus. And people were killed in that fight. Not exactly what I'd call romantic.

That may be so but wouldn't you rather her father have permitted her to Perseus without her say than her father promising her to his brother, her uncle, without her say so? I know that was sort of common in those days but it's still really creepy and disturbing for me.

Hazel, 10 3/4"

Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas