Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 32. ✿ - - - Religious Haven
Atheism 101 - A learning and discussion thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hypocoristical

Tasty Marshmallow

43,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Buggin' 500
  • Fusion Master 1000
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:06 am
xXTeal BloodXx

Should you not celebrate Arbor Day, because you're not a tree? Should you not celebrate Memorial Day, because you're not dead? Should you not celebrate Veterans Day, because you're not a Veteran?

There is an understanding, that the feelings, actions, and things people do during the holiday times. Traditions, are not exclusively "christian", or any religion, for that matter.

Again, I have stated that the church created such holidays, to ease the translation of the bible to the "Heathens", from more Pagan/Polytheistic celebrations. They were created off the backs of Non-christian holidays, to further the church's hold on the world as they knew it then.

Because, if you wish to categorize Christmas/Easter as "Only celebrate if you're a christian", then those should be you're only two days. Well, maybe All Saints Day/Ash Wednesday but, those are Catholics.

So, just because I don't believe in religion, or the baggage that comes with it, I can't drink some egg nog, get presents, or eat sugar cookies with my family? Or get eggs filled with chocolate? (Don't even get me into the Pagan things with Easter. Eggs? Rabbits? Sweets? Oh please!). I believe in my family, and myself - That's enough for me to celebrate. heart

*Go Winter Solstice!!*

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:57 am
Hypocoristical
xXTeal BloodXx

Should you not celebrate Arbor Day, because you're not a tree? Should you not celebrate Memorial Day, because you're not dead? Should you not celebrate Veterans Day, because you're not a Veteran?

There is an understanding, that the feelings, actions, and things people do during the holiday times. Traditions, are not exclusively "christian", or any religion, for that matter.

Again, I have stated that the church created such holidays, to ease the translation of the bible to the "Heathens", from more Pagan/Polytheistic celebrations. They were created off the backs of Non-christian holidays, to further the church's hold on the world as they knew it then.

Because, if you wish to categorize Christmas/Easter as "Only celebrate if you're a christian", then those should be you're only two days. Well, maybe All Saints Day/Ash Wednesday but, those are Catholics.

So, just because I don't believe in religion, or the baggage that comes with it, I can't drink some egg nog, get presents, or eat sugar cookies with my family? Or get eggs filled with chocolate? (Don't even get me into the Pagan things with Easter. Eggs? Rabbits? Sweets? Oh please!). I believe in my family, and myself - That's enough for me to celebrate. heart

*Go Winter Solstice!!*
I do not actually celebrate arbor day,memorial,or veterans day. Like i know they are holidays but i do not throw parties or anything on those days. Also I did not ask for your negative opinion on religion and what not. I was actually asking someone else not you.  

Lady Anonymys

Durem Citizen

Hypocoristical

Tasty Marshmallow

43,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Buggin' 500
  • Fusion Master 1000
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:05 am
xXTeal BloodXx

Last time I checked, this was an open thread. You ignored my last attempt to converse with you so, I did so in this manner. Pardon me, for being more direct but I wasn't be negative. I was asking you your opinion on different holidays, and how they're seemingly sectioned off into religions. This is how I interpreted your written question.

Your original question wasn't towards anyone, and as a member of this guild, I had no idea I had to be asked to speak. I guess I know this now. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:11 pm
xXTeal BloodXx
Shimo Kousetsu
xXTeal BloodXx
So....atheist do not celebrate religious holidays such as Christmas or Easter right? Because both of those are religious holidays celebrated by Christians. But not just Christian holidays. They do not celebrate any religious holidays at all right?
It depends on the person. Honestly, a lot of religious holidays have been commercialized to the point that it's not about religious beliefs.

Personally, I celebrate Christmas and Easter, but not as a Christian holiday. I use it as a time to celebrate my friends and family and give them gifts. It has no religious meaning to me, but then again it doesn't always have meaning to religious people either, thanks to commercialization.
In the area where I live everyone is not Christian so people always say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". They always say that instead because they say its rude to assume everyone is Christian. But why would you celebrate it then? Both holidays were created because of Jesus Christ and you said atheist do not believe in him. If you are an atheist...how would you even enjoy the holiday?
The "Happy Holidays" versus "Merry Christmas" thing is a personal choice. I say both, depending on if I know the person or not.

By the way, Christmas wasn't originally a Christian holiday. Feel free to look that up; it was a Pagan holiday, adopted by Christians to attempt to convert them to Christianity.

As to why I celebrate it, I already said that; I go with the feel of the day. Christmas feels like a time to celebrate being with my loved ones and giving them gifts to show that I care. I don't have to go to church or believe in any deity to enjoy spending time with my loved ones. And, again, most holidays are very commercial at this point; very few people celebrate the holidays as solely something religious. It's a happy time of year, and there are plenty of atheists who enjoy the mood set by it. The same goes for Easter. Bunnies and candy and flowers? I'm in.  

Shimo Kousetsu

Snuggly Blob

Lady Anonymys

Durem Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Hypocoristical
xXTeal BloodXx

Last time I checked, this was an open thread. You ignored my last attempt to converse with you so, I did so in this manner. Pardon me, for being more direct but I wasn't be negative. I was asking you your opinion on different holidays, and how they're seemingly sectioned off into religions. This is how I interpreted your written question.

Your original question wasn't towards anyone, and as a member of this guild, I had no idea I had to be asked to speak. I guess I know this now. Thank you.
My original question was towards the girl i was talking to.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:26 pm
xXTeal BloodXx

That's a bit of a moot point now, isn't it? xd

Hypocoristical

Tasty Marshmallow

43,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Buggin' 500
  • Fusion Master 1000

A Touch of Evil

Tipsy Genius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:44 am
Shimo Kousetsu
Atheists are not "devil worshipers" or "Satanists,"

Satanists aren't devil worshipers either. confused I studied it for a long time, it's actually quite the opposite.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:13 am
I understand why people are atheist. They have their own reason and I totally respect that as long as they respect me. Anyway, I get it. I too was atheist for 10 years. My turn to atheism was out of spite, pain, anger, depression, and trauma. I blamed my problems on god and as revenge, I stopped believing in his existence. For 10 years, I was lost, confused, and alone. I stopped caring about my actions and the consequences of my actions because I stopped believing that there was a god watching me and judging me. That's why I turned to atheism and that's why I turned away from it.

I'm not saying that every story is exactly like mine. We are all different. I'm just one person.

Believing in a higher power makes me feel at peace. It makes me think twice before acting (of course, I always thought twice before acting, only now, I make better choices). It makes me reflect. I don't rely on a god to fix all my problems, no. I fix my problems on my own because they are mine, not His. The good things are His, the mistakes are only mine and I'm responsible and independent enough to take responsibility. I still believe in myself, I still have faith in myself, I still believe I have the power to make a difference and to cause a change, only now I feel like I have a helping hand backing my efforts.

Just wanted to share. I respect all faiths (or lack of).  

A Touch of Evil

Tipsy Genius

Shimo Kousetsu

Snuggly Blob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:04 pm
A Touch of Evil
Shimo Kousetsu
Atheists are not "devil worshipers" or "Satanists,"

Satanists aren't devil worshipers either. confused I studied it for a long time, it's actually quite the opposite.
I didn't mean that they were the same; that was just me stating some things I've personally been called as an atheist, and making the distinction there. There are plenty of people who, because they believe that atheists have been influenced by the devil and pulled away from god, believe that atheists follow the devil, thus those sorts of terms being thrown around, no matter how ignorant.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:33 pm
im an agnostic athiest, and theres this famous story told in hasidic literature that i really love and always tell when someone tries to guilt me for my beliefs (or lack thereof). it says:

the teacher teaches his class that god created everything in the world to be appreciated, since everything is here to teach us a lesson. one clever student asks "what lesson can we learn from atheists? why did god create them?"

the teacher responds "god created atheists to teach us the most important lesson of them all -- the lesson of true compassion. you see, when an atheist performs and act of charity, visits someone who is sick, helps someone in need, and cares for the world, he is not doing so because of some religious teaching. he does not believe that god commanded him to perform this act. in fact, he does not believe in god at all, so his acts are based on an inner sense of morality. and look at the kindness he can bestow upon others simply because he feels it to be right."

"this means," the teacher continued "that when someone reaches out to you for help, you should never say 'I pray that god will help you.' instead for the moment, you should become an atheist, imagine that there is no god who can help, and say 'i will help you.'"

if there is redemption in religion, i believe it is when people come to understand this story.

heartslob

Bashful Cutie-Pie

Lady Anonymys

Durem Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:32 pm
Hypocoristical
xXTeal BloodXx

That's a bit of a moot point now, isn't it? xd
You just don't get it. Nvm.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:02 pm
User Image

My dad and I classify ourselves as Agnostic since it's the best way to describe us. We believe in God (I prefer the term "higher being"), but we don't like organized religion. My mom was shocked to find out I had similar beliefs as my dad because I always went to church with her. (More like she dragged me) But, I also respect other people's religion. I believe everyone has a right to what they want to believe in.

Now, I don't have anything against religious people. My friend's mother is fairly religious, but we get along fairly well. It's those few that give atheist and agnostic a bad name. My dad was in the hospital and this old lady came into his room asking if he wanted her to read from the bible. He told her his belief in religion and god. The woman then said he was going to hell.

Post style by PhallenPixie

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:16 pm
User Image

I would like to expand on this conversation on religious holidays, in particular Christmas. This is information I can recall. I might not be 100% right on this.

For awhile, Christmas was ban by the Church because of what happened. People got drunk and caused trouble. Christmas was brought back by the colonist. See, at first, the colonist didn't want to have any holidays. But, the kids were becoming depressed. So, the parents decided to have a day to cheer up the kids, and they chose what will become Christmas. This continued on for awhile because the kids were better. At some point, the Church wanted in on the holiday, so they said that Jesus was born on December 25 when it was sometime in the Spring. I normally don't like to site cartoons, but I think I heard this information somewhere else. I just remembered that it was mentioned in The Boondocks.

Myself, I celibate Christmas for the reason why we have it now, gift giving and being with friends and family.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:22 pm
xXTeal BloodXx
I do not actually celebrate arbor day,memorial,or veterans day. Like i know they are holidays but i do not throw parties or anything on those days. Also I did not ask for your negative opinion on religion and what not. I was actually asking someone else not you.

User Image

Okay.... Then what about Halloween? If I remember correctly, that was based off a pagan holiday.

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50

koreycabra

8,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:26 am
I'm an Agnostic Atheist, but I am really contemplating my stance on everything. I have friends from all religions, but I really thing my mindset is shifting towards Atheism..and dismissing Agnostic viewpoints.  
32. ✿ - - - Religious Haven

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff