Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daemon_King

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:55 pm
nadescaflowne
Daemon_king
The Lady Giyan
Daemon_king
Though saves are modifide by the users strength as in if the Elf has a S 6, it's -6 to the armour save of your opponent.

No, actually you have to be str 9 before to get a -6 modifier. srt 1, 2 & 3 dont modify saves and at str 4 the modifier is -1 (which then increases as the strength increases) and the max is -7 at str 10. So the exectuioners axe is only really worth it against dwarf lords or chaos lords.

Edit: It occurs to me that it would also be beastly against the tomb kings (T4 chariots, meet Mr. str 8 elf lord!) and the ogre kingdoms.

I thought you take the users S, and modify with that, meaning S 6 is -6 instead of -3 to the armour save.

If that was the case, you'd have Goblins hacking their way through heavy infantry as if they were Black Orcs .__.;;

You do realize we are talking about the Dark Elves' Executioner's Axe, and what it's effect does. And where does the Str 8 come from with an original Str 4. I recall that 4+2=6.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:43 pm
Daemon_king
nadescaflowne
Daemon_king
The Lady Giyan
Daemon_king
Though saves are modifide by the users strength as in if the Elf has a S 6, it's -6 to the armour save of your opponent.

No, actually you have to be str 9 before to get a -6 modifier. srt 1, 2 & 3 dont modify saves and at str 4 the modifier is -1 (which then increases as the strength increases) and the max is -7 at str 10. So the exectuioners axe is only really worth it against dwarf lords or chaos lords.

Edit: It occurs to me that it would also be beastly against the tomb kings (T4 chariots, meet Mr. str 8 elf lord!) and the ogre kingdoms.

I thought you take the users S, and modify with that, meaning S 6 is -6 instead of -3 to the armour save.

If that was the case, you'd have Goblins hacking their way through heavy infantry as if they were Black Orcs .__.;;

You do realize we are talking about the Dark Elves' Executioner's Axe, and what it's effect does. And where does the Str 8 come from with an original Str 4. I recall that 4+2=6.

you have the wrong effect for the axe. You're thinking of a normal great weapon.

Dark Elf army book
Executioners axe - 80 pts

When rolling to wound in close combat and for armour save modifier purposes, the wielder counts as having a strength double that of his target's toughness. However the Executioners axe is two-handed and always strikes last except in the turn the wielder charges.

While he wields the axe in cc the actual strength value of the highborn doesn't matter  

The Lady Giyan

Daemon_King

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:00 pm
The Lady Giyan
Daemon_king
nadescaflowne
Daemon_king
The Lady Giyan

you have the wrong effect for the axe. You're thinking of a normal great weapon.

Dark Elf army book
Executioners axe - 80 pts

When rolling to wound in close combat and for armour save modifier purposes, the wielder counts as having a strength double that of his target's toughness. However the Executioners axe is two-handed and always strikes last except in the turn the wielder charges.

While he wields the axe in cc the actual strength value of the highborn doesn't matter

Oh. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:59 pm
Hey everyone, just got through the first few pages and picked up some good tips. I'm greener than grass at this game and just collecting at the moment. I've read through the DE codex and the crossbow warriors have really taken my interest so I'm thinking for a starting army, take two regiments of 16 crossbows, a unit of dark riders and a sorceress, and if I can spare the points an assassin.

I've got 40K experience but WFB is way more complex, and for that I'm thankful. But the DE list confuses me a bit and I'm finding it difficult to pick an army style, shooting or combat. I love the high BS and Int, but which do I use more of? If I take too much fire power I'll be damned in CC, if I take too much CC I'll be shot before anything can happen.

I'd just like to know what works best, I know no list is perfect, and DE are probably incredibly hard to play for a beginner to the game, but I'd like to know what strategy keeps the elves alive the longest?

Thanks a bunch!  

Roky_P

GT_Popogeejo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:39 pm
Crossbowmen(elves?) can hold their own on combat.
You will use you Bs more than Int in most battles.
If you go with a shooty army then have some heavy cavalry to back you up.
You should be able to put in so much fire that whatever enemy reach your lines will be so depleted that it can't deal enough damage in CC.
Remember that you can stand and shoot if the enemy if half it's charge distance from you even if it is -1 to hit twisted  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:26 pm
Ah, thanks, sorry I'm used to heralding men into the lines of my enemies in 40K in like a turn, I completely forgot that each unit has a different movement that isn't a standard 6 inches. Thanks!  

Roky_P

nadescaflowne

Aged Lunatic

3,875 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:21 pm
GT_Popogeejo is right that the Crossbowmen can indeed do just as well in combat as they do shooting. I can roll over 80 dice in my shooting phase from Xbowmen, Rders, Shades and the Reapers. With the highly offensive magic on top of that, there is often little of the opposing army left in the 2/3 turns it takes to reach my lines. domokun

I've not used Cold Ones so I can't say how well they work from experience, but Executioners/Black Guard I find handy to deal with the heavily armoured troops that live through the volly of bolts.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:53 pm
Thanks Nade, I just bought a sorceress today and a bolt thrower, both are half painted already, I love these models so much I can't keep the paint off em!

A question about the riders, most likely the dark riders, if they're given crossbows can they advance and shoot in the same turn? I'm sorry, I haven't read the rule book yet, I have 3 stores near by and none of them have it, the one does but I don't want him to tear apart the starter kit just for little old me.

Anyway, I'm thinking of going for superior firepower, have the Dark Riders for both long range and CC and along with my first sorceress put in another one just to spread around the unholy destruction! I do still have my heart set on a chariot, maybe stick in a noble hero just to be a pain, I want cold ones but I've been reading the codex a little and I'm not too fond of the stupidity check, so I think I'll stick with fast, light cavalry that can punch at a distance and up close, but the chariot... I want it! ^_^  

Roky_P

nadescaflowne

Aged Lunatic

3,875 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:03 am
The bolt thrower definatly is a nice model n_n I mounted mine on the Galloper Gun chasis and hook it up to a steed X3 Mobile Reaper domokun
Dark Riders can move and shoot but with a -1 penalty to hit. No too much a problem really though, it annoys the oppenent all the same X3
Not too sure how well Dark Riders will hold up in combat though. They may be better left to carry out the hit and run on the flanks.
Cold ones can be random but the high leadership of the riders makes up for that somewhat. They would also better support the charriot than Dark Riders, and with a Noble in the charriot, he will want protecting. S7+ attacks are evil ._.
Also, when you get the Army Book, don't forget to dl the update for it too.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:23 am
I would try to maximise the Dark Riders' fast cavalry role, using them to draw out enemy units by fleeing from their charges and then rally automatically next turn.  

Narelon the Great

Desperado de Anarquia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:07 pm
After I finish my Tau army I am going o Start a Dark Elf Army what should I aim for in the army?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:32 pm
I like Dark Elves, but I'm going to wait for them to be redone before I start a list. As it is now, in my opinion, they desperately need to be refurbished.  

Daicon

Desperado de Anarquia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:41 pm
But Currently What is the Best tactic for them?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:15 pm
*Shrugs* A solid core of Dark Elf warriors is nice, some with spears and shields, some with repeater crossbows. This gives you a good range of decent melee troops and excellent missile fire. Then, depending on whether you like to harass your enemy with shooting before going in for the ever deadly flank or rear charges, or if straight up muscle is what you like, Dark Riders and Cold One Knights always serve a purpose.

Shades are practically a must. They scout with repeater crossbows, I love it! As for Executioners... I'm not very fond of them. Unless they get the charge, with their toughness of three and only a five plus armor save to back them up, they don't make the best troops to give great weapons to. Killing blow almost makes up for it... but it never really comes into play when you need it to.

Blackguard are amazing. Mmmm, eternally hatefilled stubborn elves. As far as your melee troops go, Blackguard are your best bet with an amazing initiative and weaponskill, and a decent strength. Combine that with rerolling the few misses you get, these guys can do some serious damage.

Repeater bolt throwers, take them and you'll find out why.

As far as character choices go, just have fun with those. Take ones that tickle your fancy.

Daicon

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:42 pm
ShasO Bane
But Currently What is the Best tactic for them?

There really is no "best tactic" for any army. Otherwise what would be the point in playing? Everyone has their own style. It takes awhile to really be good with any army.  
Age of Sigmar Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff