The Skaven Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jishin

Steadfast Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:04 pm
Skaven aren't really random. Yes, they blow themselves up, but that's just good ol' rat fun. They'll still pretty much do what you want them to do, and the extra firepower is worth the occasional explosion.

@Daemon_king: You forgot about the Battle Standard Bearer in addition to the rank bonuses. Having played with one, I don't think the Skaven should ever be without one. Getting to reroll failed leadership tests is a Good Thing. You don't even need to buy him a magic standard. Just pay the 25 points on top of the Chieftain's cost, and poof, piles of rerolls. I keep my BSB in the semi-back where he can run to rally fleeing units. Very, very nice, especially with the Storm of Chaos Eshin list.

@Neo-azrael: Warlock Engineers are great, and super-cheap for what they do. I generally play in a 1000-point campaign setting, and I always take at least one, maxed out except for the pistol. They only get Warp Lightning. .... HAHAHA. Only. One Warlock Engineer can easily kill 150% of his points value, and often more like 200-250%. They are rightly feared and very effective and very very cheap, at 85 points!

@ubergeist: I like Skryre and Eshin myself, but I'd strongly recommend that you play with the standard Skaven list for a good while, like you said you were getting, before attempting the Storm of Chaos Eshin list, which is VERY tricky to play. Very good, mind you, but very tricky.

I recommend you pick up at least one unit of 5 jezzails -- excellent for taking down those pesky knights. Ratling guns are a must, as has been previously mentioned. You might as well get a warp-lightning cannon as your rare, since you don't have any Plague Monks to take the Censer Bearers with. That, and the cannons are fun. (:

I'll be honest, Rat Ogres confuse the heck out of me. I never use them. (:

I also recommend that if you take an assassin, do not hide him in a unit. Generally, they're not terribly useful there, unless you are 100% certain you'll get him into close combat. Leave him out but close to one of your other units. This leaves him free to run around, pick off stragglers, and try to smash the opposing general.

Poison is OMGuseful. When you take your Gutter Runners, give them poison on everything.

And it's already been said, but make sure you wind up with a total of at least two units of Clanrats, at least 25 strong. That will make sure that they get into the enemy with their full rank bonus intact. Stormvermin are cool and all, but they're really too expensive, except in very small or very big fights.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:11 pm
If anyone still comes here, this is the list I have devised for my initial 1,000 points of Skaven. It's my first Fantasy army, so feel free to completely and totally pick apart, criticise, and offer advice on the list.

Heroes-

Chieftan- Great Weapon, Warpstone Armor, Shield. 86

Warlock Engineer- Warp-Blades, Upgraded Warp Energy Condenser, Supercharged Warp Power Accumulator, 2x Dispel Scroll. 135

Core-

25 Clanrats- Musician, Standard. 140

25 Clanrats- Musician, Standard. 140

20 Clanrat Slaves 40

4 Rat Swarms 180

3 Giant Rat Packs 90

Special-

20 Plague Monks- Additional Hand Weapons, Full Command. 185

996 Points Total

I'm not sure how well it would work. If you can't see, I'm kinda emphasizing the Strength in Numbers thing, without going too ridiculous and having nothing but Clanrats n' Slaves just so that I can have over 200 mini's in 1,000 points. Still a bit over 100 though, but that's standard for Skaven.

Knights will be my bane, as I have little specifically to take them down unless I can completely swamp them with rats, or manage to fry them with the Warlock.

I'd like to fit in another Chieftan as the BSB, but I need to find something to cut for it...

Human Cladogenesis

Drachyench

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:35 pm
BIG: Anti-Slaan Tactic

Simply load a basic Skaven Hero with a Brass Orb. Shove him in a unit. Get close to the Slaan. Congrads, if you hit, a Slaan has a 5 in 6 chance of insta death with no saves.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:15 pm
Drachyench_The_Eternal

Simply load a basic Skaven Hero with a Brass Orb. Shove him in a unit. Get close to the Slaan. Congrads, if you hit, a Slaan has a 5 in 6 chance of insta death with no saves.

And your problem there is trying to HIT the Slaan. With his Palanquin rule, which allows him to stay out of the fighting rank until there are only three other combats, most often you'll never get the chance to touch that bad boy. Especially while his pumping out so many rerolls a turn. Hehe, Slaan are nasty. biggrin  

Daicon

Drachyench

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:25 pm
Daicon
Drachyench_The_Eternal

And your problem there is trying to HIT the Slaan. With his Palanquin rule, which allows him to stay out of the fighting rank until there are only three other combats, most often you'll never get the chance to touch that bad boy. Especially while his pumping out so many rerolls a turn. Hehe, Slaan are nasty. biggrin

Brass Orb = Throwing Weapon. Throwing Weapon that you placea Template for. It just needs to have the Slaan touching the Template, and bye-bye slaany. It also works well against anything with an average I of 3 or less for their units, as they can have a large chunk of points obliterated in a single throw.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:58 pm
Clan Eshin Army List, what should I improve on it? ((PS: I'm sticking with all skirmishers, so I won't take things like Storm Vermin or anything...))

Lord: Master Assassin: Weeping Blands, Bands of Strength, Warp Amulet, Smoke bombs

Heros: Assassin: Warpstone Throwing Stars/Brass Orb (Depending on my foes)

Sorcerer 1: Level 2, Warpscroll
Sorceror 2: Level 2, 2 Dispel Scrolls

Core: Night Runners x15
Night Runners x15
Night Runners x13
Night Runenrs x13
Rat Swarm x4

Special: Jezzails x4
Jezzails x4
Gutter Runners x10
Gutter Runners x10

The Gutter Runners have throwing stars and Poisoned attacks, and the Night Runners have additional hand weapons and Throwing Stars.  

Drachyench

Clockwork_Creep

Dangerous Lunatic

7,150 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:11 pm
I was thinking of begining a Clan Pestilence Army.
Any suggestions?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:15 pm
lord_illpalazzo
I was thinking of begining a Clan Pestilence Army.
Any suggestions?

Plague Monks?  

Daemon_King

Daicon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:33 am
Drachyench_The_Eternal
Daicon
Drachyench_The_Eternal

Brass Orb = Throwing Weapon. Throwing Weapon that you placea Template for. It just needs to have the Slaan touching the Template, and bye-bye slaany. It also works well against anything with an average I of 3 or less for their units, as they can have a large chunk of points obliterated in a single throw.

Ah, my mistake then. Still, if anyone was going to take a Slaan I would hope they would spend the points to insure it gains a nice 2+ ward save against non-close combat attacks, what with it being a big old large target and all.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:22 am
Daicon
Drachyench_The_Eternal
Daicon
Drachyench_The_Eternal

Ah, my mistake then. Still, if anyone was going to take a Slaan I would hope they would spend the points to insure it gains a nice 2+ ward save against non-close combat attacks, what with it being a big old large target and all.

Actually, Brass Orb ignore Ward saves and basic saves. The only way to avoid its effects (Instant Death) Is to pass your initiative test...  

Drachyench

Daemon_King

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:30 pm
Drachyench_The_Eternal
Daicon
Drachyench_The_Eternal
Daicon
Drachyench_The_Eternal

Actually, Brass Orb ignore Ward saves and basic saves. The only way to avoid its effects (Instant Death) Is to pass your initiative test...

Yeah, and Slann and other Lizardmen have low Initiatives, but they take a different test because they're cold blooded right?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:06 pm
Daemon_King
Drachyench_The_Eternal
Daicon
Drachyench_The_Eternal
Daicon
Drachyench_The_Eternal

Yeah, and Slann and other Lizardmen have low Initiatives, but they take a different test because they're cold blooded right?

Lizardmen are low-int, but in return get to roll 3d6 and pick the lowest two for Leadership.  

Drachyench

Daemon_King

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:49 pm
Drachyench_The_Eternal
Daemon_King
Drachyench_The_Eternal
Daicon
Drachyench_The_Eternal

Lizardmen are low-int, but in return get to roll 3d6 and pick the lowest two for Leadership.

Yeah, but why would you want to axe the Slann? I mean, isn't that more of a bad thing.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:41 pm
Daemon_King
Drachyench_The_Eternal
Daemon_King
Drachyench_The_Eternal
Daicon
Drachyench_The_Eternal

Yeah, but why would you want to axe the Slann? I mean, isn't that more of a bad thing.

Considering said Slaan will most likely be over 400 points, and that was a 2K army I was suggesting it for, the enemy suddenly loses 2 Dispel Dice, 4 Powerdice, 400 Points of Lord, Hero, and Rare, along with part of its bodyguard. A good chunk of points taken away. Pluss, if that was Lord Kroak, you're now guarentied at least a draw...  

Drachyench

Daemon_King

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:32 pm
Drachyench_The_Eternal
Daemon_King
Drachyench_The_Eternal
Daemon_King
Drachyench_The_Eternal

Considering said Slaan will most likely be over 400 points, and that was a 2K army I was suggesting it for, the enemy suddenly loses 2 Dispel Dice, 4 Powerdice, 400 Points of Lord, Hero, and Rare, along with part of its bodyguard. A good chunk of points taken away. Pluss, if that was Lord Kroak, you're now guarentied at least a draw...

You have to be careful when it comes to those Slann.  
Age of Sigmar Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff