Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
The Monarchy Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:43 pm
A Lost Iguana
The fate of the Royals is dependent upon the whim of the populace and Parliament.

..and that she is the only valid head of the commonwealth. That she fulfils essential constitutional roles. The royals do a lot of good for the national finances. That she commands the armed forces and the unconditional fealty of the Channel Islands.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:50 pm
I don't believe that it would be knocking a huge chunk out of our history. Knocking a huge chunk out of our history would be erasing all record of the fact that we ever had a monarchy, not simply abolishing it; that would be consigning it to history.

I mean, what is the point of history if it's completely invalidated by the fact that its records are no longer current?  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

davidcrossfan06

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:27 pm
The monarchy is an excellent example of how to care for the elderly. Why stop that? They don't really do anything, exactly.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:39 pm
Foetus In Fetu
I don't believe that it would be knocking a huge chunk out of our history. Knocking a huge chunk out of our history would be erasing all record of the fact that we ever had a monarchy, not simply abolishing it; that would be consigning it to history.

I mean, what is the point of history if it's completely invalidated by the fact that its records are no longer current?

*Sigh* History = Culture. That's the point. Castles are no longer in use... we have them in records, so why not demolish them to make room for modern industry? Because it's what's known as CULTURE and HERITAGE.

The Egyptian pyramids are no longer serving the original purpose they were built for. Should they be demolished as well? No, because they are a part of what makes Egypt, Egypt. rolleyes See what i'm saying?

Royalty is a part of this country. To get rid of it would not only be like taking a chunk out of history, but a chunk out of our identity as a nation.

Khorkalba

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:34 pm
You'll notice that I never advocated abolishing the monarchy, but I'd be inclined to disagree with you if there were a real benefit to abolishing the monarchy on the grounds that much of the population does not identify with having the royal family as a part of their culture. Most teenagers, I believe, see the royal family as an archaic tradition; either it's out of date and they want it gone or it's quaint but serves no real purpose other than to attract tourism. I don't feel that having a monarchy is necessary to identify as being British, it isn't like we're the first or the only country to have one.

And even if it were such an important part of British culture, that doesn't merit its being upheld, especially if there are real benefits to be gained by abolishing it.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:12 pm
...and what are these "benefits"?  

Khorkalba

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:08 pm
Longbow UK
...But it would be like taking huge chunk out of our history and culture. neutral If you're going to get rid of the Royal family you may as well knock down every castle that still stands, you may as well burn and destroy every last historical artifact we still have. You may as well industrialise the entire country, modernising every last inch of it. Frankly I would rather be dead than see that happen.

Times change; tradition is never the best reason to retain something if it has outlived its usefulness. The current system does serve a purpose, but you cannot make a universally claim that it will always serve a purpose.

Longbow UK

It would reduce some of the burden on the taxpayer, the money could be diverted toward other noble areas in need of extra funding. It remains to be seen how affectionate the public is about the monarchy. From what I have gathered, a majority do not care about Charles and Camilla; one could then assert that the public's interest in the Royal Family is dwindling. Does the public favour replacing the current monarch with a democratically elected head of state? You cannot deny that having a Royal Family implies that the citizens of this country are mere subjects of someone whom is better merely by birth. Some may not agree with that notion.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:57 am
A Lost Iguana
Longbow UK

It would reduce some of the burden on the taxpayer, the money could be diverted toward other noble areas in need of extra funding. It remains to be seen how affectionate the public is about the monarchy. From what I have gathered, a majority do not care about Charles and Camilla; one could then assert that the public's interest in the Royal Family is dwindling. Does the public favour replacing the current monarch with a democratically elected head of state? You cannot deny that having a Royal Family implies that the citizens of this country are mere subjects of someone whom is better merely by birth. Some may not agree with that notion.

No no no no no. Just no. Dammit.

They bring in far more money than they cost, and that's entirely excluding such hazy things as tourism. The abolition in the name of fiscal efficiency is a common but wholly invalid one.

Public apathy is quite a long walk from public opposition. Whether you like it or not, you are a subject. You can't theorise your way out if that. I am a subject of HM the Queen, that cannot be changed and I don't not really consider it to need changing.

If money is your concern, then keep them. It's far more financially beneficial than getting rid of them.

Invictus_88
Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:02 am
A Lost Iguana

Longbow UK

However, (if I'm going to take this seriously), there are many counter benefits that people have prevously listed. However, Foetus In Fetu never said there were benefits to the abolition of the monarchy, simply that if there were, she would probably advocate said abolition.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:20 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Invictus_88
Captain

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:31 am
What? I have not suggested I want rid of them, I was merely pointing out "benefits" that may arise from removing the Royals. Did you miss the post earlier in the thread where I said I did not care, but I would prefer to have the Queen as HoS than someone like Jacques Chirac or George Bush? XD

Invictus_88
They bring in far more money than they cost, and that's entirely excluding such hazy things as tourism. The abolition in the name of fiscal efficiency is a common but wholly invalid one.

I can't open the website for the Crown Estate, so I cannot scrutinise the full figures but I will concede that the assets are making more money for the taxpayer that is being pumped into the Royals. Then again, the Crown Estate owned by the Monarch in trust of the people; it is, effectively, the people's money anyway.

Invictus_88
Public apathy is quite a long walk from public opposition. Whether you like it or not, you are a subject. You can't theorise your way out if that. I am a subject of HM the Queen, that cannot be changed and I don't not really consider it to need changing.

My point about apathy is whether the public would be more interested in having an elected Head of State than the current apathy in the current hereditary system.

I do not care whether I am a subject or not, but there may be some whom do not like that state of affairs (a former flatmate of mine at university despised it, for example).

Invictus_88
If money is your concern, then keep them. It's far more financially beneficial than getting rid of them.

Money is not my concern. I believe that the monarchy does generate revenue. However, I do not agree with the idea that if, and only if, the current constitutional monarchy is in place that such funds are generated.

There is a strong ideological principle to assert that the Head of State should be meritocratic instead of hereditary; and apart from that, I have no real opinion on the matter.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:36 am
Ah, sorry. Seems I didn't read the earlier posts of yours.

The Corwn Estate is owned by the Monarch in trust of the people, but it still belongs to her and her family. It is simply that she is effectively bound to serve the people of the UK and the Commonwealth.

Ugh, lol. I'm unconvinced! People don't seem terribly motivated about party politics in the UK today, but then you metion the monarchy and a lot of people have quite strong feelings. As seen a lot on here.

Meritocracy got us Tony Blair.

Enough said.

xd

Invictus_88
Captain

50ny4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Okay first of all: NO Don't get rid of the monarchy! Although freaking hillarious they are a valuable part of the history of England...if they were gone my entertainment of the news would be shot.

That being said....yes i find them amusing and must honestly say its much better than having some bloody president go to war with everything.

so GO MONARCHY!!!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:28 am
the monarchy is great! heart  

Bono Vox

smoking_hippy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:25 am
God save the Queen!

(Damn link doesn't work)  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games