Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Cadian IG Restoration/Tallarn Conversion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:01 am
Alright, so after much thinking and brainstorming with Mac, I've more or less decided to start converting my Imperial Guard to Tallarn. The thing is, I'm not going for the middle-eastern stereotype, all covered in robes and jewels and unorganized. They'll still use Cadian breastplates and shoulderpads, with a flak headpiece instead of a helmet. Khaki cloth, light-brown armor, and dark-brown tiger-striped camo on said armor. Unit markings will stay the same. I'll be home relatively soon, so I'll start posting concept art and pull for component ideas from you guys.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:23 am
It will be interesting to see how this turns out, do keep us posted!  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:26 am
Also looking for ideas on making desert bases that are more than just a standard layer of sand.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:57 am
how about a dry cracked earth, just paint some black cracks on any... earthly looking colour you deem fit?
http://www.biblelife.org/globalwarming-dry-cracked-mud.jpg
ignore the site, just the pic...  

Van Evok

Dangerous Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:53 pm
Van Evok
how about a dry cracked earth, just paint some black cracks on any... earthly looking colour you deem fit?
Interesting. I'd want to make it 3D though, rather than just painting it onto the base.

I found there's actually quite a few more desert basing options than I had thought would be available, several lines (Dark Art Minis, Micro Art Studios, Nomz Minis, The War Store,) produce 25mm desert-themed bases. I'll have to shop around and decide if I want to order custom bases or if I want to try and make my own.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:20 pm
DarkElf27
Van Evok
Interesting. I'd want to make it 3D though, rather than just painting it onto the base.

I found there's actually quite a few more desert basing options than I had thought would be available, several lines (Dark Art Minis, Micro Art Studios, Nomz Minis, The War Store,) produce 25mm desert-themed bases. I'll have to shop around and decide if I want to order custom bases or if I want to try and make my own.
If you are planning to do a whole army it might be best to get a pile of greenstuff or putti and some instant-mould, so you can create your own bases or tops for bases, it will be a whole lot cheaper than buying piles and piles of bases from a company!  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:45 am
Lady Blodwynn
DarkElf27

If you are planning to do a whole army it might be best to get a pile of greenstuff or putti and some instant-mould, so you can create your own bases or tops for bases, it will be a whole lot cheaper than buying piles and piles of bases from a company!
My wife and I were actually discussing that same topic yesterday, and we're seriously considering getting some mold-making and casting supplies to try our hand at sculpting some bits, because between the heads for the Tallarn and the bases, there's a few assorted gadgets that will see repeated application for a pretty large army.

Of the companies out there, though, I've been most happy with Dark Art Miniatures for bases. They're by far the lowest price at around $5 for 10 bases (versus $7 for 5 at many other places) and I'm very happy with their quality. I've bought some 40 bases for my wife's Sisters of Battle and about 120 lava bases for my Eldar. I'm not a fan of their desert bases though, which is why I want to find another option.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:33 pm
DarkElf27
Lady Blodwynn
DarkElf27

My wife and I were actually discussing that same topic yesterday, and we're seriously considering getting some mold-making and casting supplies to try our hand at sculpting some bits, because between the heads for the Tallarn and the bases, there's a few assorted gadgets that will see repeated application for a pretty large army.

Of the companies out there, though, I've been most happy with Dark Art Miniatures for bases. They're by far the lowest price at around $5 for 10 bases (versus $7 for 5 at many other places) and I'm very happy with their quality. I've bought some 40 bases for my wife's Sisters of Battle and about 120 lava bases for my Eldar. I'm not a fan of their desert bases though, which is why I want to find another option.
There are these: http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/wasteland-bases-round-25mm-p-714.html

Both easy to copy and cast and to create and cast as inserts of your own. Ask Mel about instant-mould, he knows. ninja  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:14 am
Lady Blodwynn
DarkElf27
Lady Blodwynn
DarkElf27

There are these: http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/wasteland-bases-round-25mm-p-714.html

Both easy to copy and cast and to create and cast as inserts of your own. Ask Mel about instant-mould, he knows. ninja
I liked the sand-dune-y looking ones that Micro-art had, they're just pricey. I want to try and re-create that effect eventually.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:03 am
DarkElf27
I liked the sand-dune-y looking ones that Micro-art had, they're just pricey. I want to try and re-create that effect eventually.
Is simple really effendi. You buy one or two blisters of Micro Art (or other manufacturer of your choice) blisters of your choice, you buy two blisters of instant-mould, you pick the bases you like best, make moulds of those, cast your own bases using cheap as dirt Milliput (white box, red letters) and presto! You've saved yourself an awful lot of money.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:39 pm
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
Is simple really effendi. You buy one or two blisters of Micro Art (or other manufacturer of your choice) blisters of your choice, you buy two blisters of instant-mould, you pick the bases you like best, make moulds of those, cast your own bases using cheap as dirt Milliput (white box, red letters) and presto! You've saved yourself an awful lot of money.
How about some pics of this? ninja  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:06 am
Lady Blodwynn
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
Someone else already did that, it's in a thread somewhere down the line here.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:05 pm
Lt. Brookman
Lady Blodwynn
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
You are no fun. sad  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:08 pm
Lt. Brookman
Lady Blodwynn
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
Well if I use molds on bases, I'm going to fabricate some of my own from scratch and copy them. Otherwise, I will probably just have to come up with a repeatable method of doing desert bases that last... I don't want sand falling off in clumps over time! sweatdrop

Home now, so anticipate new photos of the models I finished on deployment soon, dunno when I'll be starting the Tallarn heads, as most of my un-used ones are packed away already for the move.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:38 pm
Alrighty, photos! I completed two infantry squads and a Mortar squad.

All new units (relatively large image)

Sgt Mehdi Altair close-up Yes, he's got a name, thanks to a fiction-writing spurt that's making me re-design my whole army. stressed

Most of these units are the same ones from the contests earlier this year, so I'm not going to re-post all the pictures unless requested.

Next up is going to be a test-model in the new desert-camo paint scheme.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff