Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fox on Stilts

Aged Fox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:29 pm
meekstape
Fox on Stilts
meekstape
i got my two cats from a near by shelter as kittens and they are the two sweetest cats imaginable. queen is very playful and mischievous, but loves to snuggle and be held. damien is a lil baby mushy mess. he is more mellow and snuggly than queen, but still playful and sweet. damien is also very vocal, he meows constantly.

that being said, i spoil them the best way i know how: with food. i make sure they get the best food that i am able to find, which usually ends up being nice fatty pieces of raw meat, and raw food especially made for pet consumption. it's...a bit pricey, yeah, but their coats and beautiful, they're healthy and active, and their poop is healthy!! if i can feed them any of that stuff, i make sure the canned food i buy has plenty of taurine, and contains no form of....grain gluten. in fact, i make sure the food contains little to no grains period, since cats (and dogs) cant digest that kind if stuff and it just ends up turning into fat.

i worked for an animal nutritionist for about two years, and he taught me a lot about animal nutrition and what dogs and cats need and about common pet food myths and stuff. i hated working for him, but really do treasure that knowledge!

Hey that's actually some really great info there. I'm going to have to remember that and check my cats food and possibly make some adjustments to what I buy them. My cats sleep all over the place too. Especially right on top of my butt. razz

one of my cats does that. queen, whenever i decide to lay on the bed in the middle of the day, she'll hop on the bed and lay on top of me, usually right on top of hips because im always laying on my side lmfao.

but yeah, concerning animal nutrition: since dogs and cats are carnivores, they cant properly digest grains and such (even though commercial foods are loaded with them as fillers to keep the price down), and that almost always translates into weight gain, animal obesity, and other health issues down the line.

dogs and cats receive their energy from raw fatty meat (not cooked meat, this removes all the needed nutrients they need). the fat content in the meat is good for muscle growth and glossy coats.

since you have dogs and cats here are some lil quick tips for both: for cats, be sparing on the dry food. cats get a majority of their moisture from their food, meaning wet, canned food or raw meat etc. a cat will almost rarely drink from it's water bowl, and if you notice that it is, it's not getting enough moisture from its food. the problem this will create down the like is crystals in the cat's urinary tract, and other kidney related problems.

for dogs: stay away from raw hide. it's bleached and all the nutrition is removed, and it's pretty much the equivalent of giving a child card board and telling him it's mcdonalds. if you want to give your dog a nice treat, opt for bully sticks or nice big animal bones (you can get these from holistic pet stores and stuff, usually from the same food companies that make pet grade raw foods). the bones are unbleached, and filled with animal bone marrow that is packed with nutrients and such. dogs get a bit messy when they chew on them though so be sure to put down a towel or something.

Literally writing all of this down right now. emotion_c8  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:32 pm
Fox on Stilts
meekstape
Fox on Stilts
meekstape
i got my two cats from a near by shelter as kittens and they are the two sweetest cats imaginable. queen is very playful and mischievous, but loves to snuggle and be held. damien is a lil baby mushy mess. he is more mellow and snuggly than queen, but still playful and sweet. damien is also very vocal, he meows constantly.

that being said, i spoil them the best way i know how: with food. i make sure they get the best food that i am able to find, which usually ends up being nice fatty pieces of raw meat, and raw food especially made for pet consumption. it's...a bit pricey, yeah, but their coats and beautiful, they're healthy and active, and their poop is healthy!! if i can feed them any of that stuff, i make sure the canned food i buy has plenty of taurine, and contains no form of....grain gluten. in fact, i make sure the food contains little to no grains period, since cats (and dogs) cant digest that kind if stuff and it just ends up turning into fat.

i worked for an animal nutritionist for about two years, and he taught me a lot about animal nutrition and what dogs and cats need and about common pet food myths and stuff. i hated working for him, but really do treasure that knowledge!

Hey that's actually some really great info there. I'm going to have to remember that and check my cats food and possibly make some adjustments to what I buy them. My cats sleep all over the place too. Especially right on top of my butt. razz

one of my cats does that. queen, whenever i decide to lay on the bed in the middle of the day, she'll hop on the bed and lay on top of me, usually right on top of hips because im always laying on my side lmfao.

but yeah, concerning animal nutrition: since dogs and cats are carnivores, they cant properly digest grains and such (even though commercial foods are loaded with them as fillers to keep the price down), and that almost always translates into weight gain, animal obesity, and other health issues down the line.

dogs and cats receive their energy from raw fatty meat (not cooked meat, this removes all the needed nutrients they need). the fat content in the meat is good for muscle growth and glossy coats.

since you have dogs and cats here are some lil quick tips for both: for cats, be sparing on the dry food. cats get a majority of their moisture from their food, meaning wet, canned food or raw meat etc. a cat will almost rarely drink from it's water bowl, and if you notice that it is, it's not getting enough moisture from its food. the problem this will create down the like is crystals in the cat's urinary tract, and other kidney related problems.

for dogs: stay away from raw hide. it's bleached and all the nutrition is removed, and it's pretty much the equivalent of giving a child card board and telling him it's mcdonalds. if you want to give your dog a nice treat, opt for bully sticks or nice big animal bones (you can get these from holistic pet stores and stuff, usually from the same food companies that make pet grade raw foods). the bones are unbleached, and filled with animal bone marrow that is packed with nutrients and such. dogs get a bit messy when they chew on them though so be sure to put down a towel or something.

Literally writing all of this down right now. emotion_c8

it could be pricey, but in terms of the pet's health i think every penny is worth it. heart  

drumnbass420

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Fox on Stilts

Aged Fox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:33 pm
Slick Southpaw
Fox on Stilts
Slick Southpaw
Most expensive thing i thought we bought was a harmonica.
Mayyybe like $15?
It was so long ago. But my cat sings along with you when you play it; so I'm not sure who's toy it is, since Hobbes enjoys yowling (and it's waaay different than his other yowls n meows).

Now I need a porch, rocking chair, and a cowboy hat and I'll be all set.

I have never heard of that before. lol How cute though. I can totally see that picture in my head though.
...Hobbes is a strange cat. one of his favorite foods is watermelon. He loves eating that for some reason and will challenge you if you have some. He's also tripped over carpets when trying to steal bags of treats and can't seem to tell the difference between a bag of dried cranberries, cough drops, almond slices and thinks they're all treat bags to steal.

Pictures, I must see a cat eating watermelon. This is my new goal in life. emotion_awesome Your cat just sounds like a big bag of fun! haha  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:34 pm
meekstape

it could be pricey, but in terms of the pet's health i think every penny is worth it. heart

Oh yes, I couldn't agree more. I want all my pets to live long and healthy lives no matter what.  

Fox on Stilts

Aged Fox

Fox on Stilts

Aged Fox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:37 pm
Sachie Whitby
I've spent more than $200 on cat furniture and when I replaced it, I got cat furniture at Costco that would have cost more than that at an actual pet store.

One of my cats is diabetic and cats don't get health insurance. Thus I end up paying $100 a vial plus cost of diabetic needs to insure she gets her shots. I love my cat and don't want her going blind, especially since she has diabetes because we didn't know better and used to give her food that had grain in it. >.<

My cats are now 100% grain free. Dry food is a mix of Taste of the Wild [the one that is entirely fish] and Instinct Rabbit Formula [sorry Ridley if you see this.] Canned food is either chicken, duck, or rabbit mostly and sometimes fish. No grains at all, not even rice, no meat by products, no beef, no anything else you shouldn't feed cats.

My cats have lots and lots of toys, enough that my house really looks like I does day care for cats.

Yes, they're very spoiled, but they're good cats and very affectionate.

Oh wow I'm betting that your cats love you. Delishious rabbit, mmm. Haha I'm sorry to hear about your cat though sad this makes me more determined to eliminate grains from my pets food.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:37 pm
When I had a dog he slept on the ground. Outside. sweatdrop  

Voat

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

MrsrachaelSnape

Invisible Cat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:38 pm
Fox on Stilts
MrsrachaelSnape
Fox on Stilts
MrsrachaelSnape
Fox on Stilts
MrsrachaelSnape
I have a havanese google the price wink

emotion_jawdrop <-- The look on my face right now.

Did you look up the price if you want them in chocolate color?

Why I want them as a rare pet on gaia as well (not too rare)

I did. Wayyyy out of my price range. lol It would make a cute rig pet though.

3nodding I should upload more picture of him. He loves the camera. I have a funny picture of him with gaia gear.

Now this I must see.

I had to take my sister out of the picture but you get the idea-

User Image

him and kiki

User Image

How Gaia can sell Zomg to everyone-
User Image

didn't like this hat-User Image
I think you get the point. I have more though rofl  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:52 pm
Fox on Stilts
Pictures, I must see a cat eating watermelon. This is my new goal in life. emotion_awesome Your cat just sounds like a big bag of fun! haha
User Image
He is a great conversation starter, I tell ya that. He also loves hairspray. If you have hairspray on you...PREPARE TO BE LICKED. Or hair gel. He doesn't like fresh perms though. But he likes hair dye taste too.

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

Jayce Reinhardt

Divine Muse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:59 pm
My dogs feast on Inova but it's getting expensive so I have to look into another food that is decent for dogs.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:03 pm
Slick Southpaw
Fox on Stilts
User Image
He is a great conversation starter, I tell ya that. He also loves hairspray. If you have hairspray on you...PREPARE TO BE LICKED. Or hair gel. He doesn't like fresh perms though. But he likes hair dye taste too.

my cats like refried means and SWEAT...i get sweaty palms frequently and they always find me to lick my palms its so gross

@jayce inova is a great food, but yeah the higher end foods for pets tend to be really expensive ))): you can try abbey. i think it;s called abbey at least. it has a boring, no frills package design but it's another excellent food that i dont think is all that pricey.  

drumnbass420

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Jayce Reinhardt

Divine Muse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:06 pm
meekstape

@jayce inova is a great food, but yeah the higher end foods for pets tend to be really expensive ))): you can try abbey. i think it;s called abbey at least. it has a boring, no frills package design but it's another excellent food that i dont think is all that pricey.

Thank you, will see if I can find it tomorrow when I wake up.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:12 pm
Fox on Stilts
Sachie Whitby
I've spent more than $200 on cat furniture and when I replaced it, I got cat furniture at Costco that would have cost more than that at an actual pet store.

One of my cats is diabetic and cats don't get health insurance. Thus I end up paying $100 a vial plus cost of diabetic needs to insure she gets her shots. I love my cat and don't want her going blind, especially since she has diabetes because we didn't know better and used to give her food that had grain in it. >.<

My cats are now 100% grain free. Dry food is a mix of Taste of the Wild [the one that is entirely fish] and Instinct Rabbit Formula [sorry Ridley if you see this.] Canned food is either chicken, duck, or rabbit mostly and sometimes fish. No grains at all, not even rice, no meat by products, no beef, no anything else you shouldn't feed cats.

My cats have lots and lots of toys, enough that my house really looks like I does day care for cats.

Yes, they're very spoiled, but they're good cats and very affectionate.

Oh wow I'm betting that your cats love you. Delishious rabbit, mmm. Haha I'm sorry to hear about your cat though sad this makes me more determined to eliminate grains from my pets food.

My cats do love me a lot! To be specific though...

Rikku [my diabetic female] loves me and only me. She doesn't quite like other cats, non-cat animals or other people at that much.

Duke Ellington [my male] likes everyone but loves me. He's an exceptionally good cat and has what I consider to be a very ideal temperament.  

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Uncle Haijin

Rainbow Trafficker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:34 pm
My cats are spoiled, whiny little monsters that I'm just enabling by giving everything they want, heh. They seem to regard me as a shrimp on demand machine, I let them sprawl out on top of me at night (Josie sleeps on my feet, Wyatt tries to curl up on my stomach or thighs), and I might draw the tub for them sometimes so they can splash around.

Trying to convince my mom to get them on a better diet (they've been eating Friskies because it's cheap but it's kind of horrible) so this thread has been really great. It's been hard to convince her because the vets here push Science Diet and Iams pretty hard.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:36 pm
golden doodle we got free, though he does have to go to the groomer every month or so for 25 bucks. he's very fuzzy.  

koirat

Shirtless Dog

15,025 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
  • Magical Girl 50

Ping of Death

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:31 am
My dogs are very picky with the food they eat. So we cook a separate meal for them everyday. Usually fried fish or beef in a soup.  
Come Back Mero <33

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff