Welcome to Gaia! ::

GCD GANGSTAS

Back to Guilds

Its just that hip, yo 

Tags: Geeceedee, GCDer, Items, Plot, Awesome 

Reply Come Back Mero <33
What books is you reading' son? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

M a l c c h i a t o

Dangerous Gaian

8,300 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:40 pm
|: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins.
I wasn't horribly impressed [understatement of the year] with The Hunger Games, but I hate not finishing the series. At least they're free on the Kindle's Lender Library.

Next week: A Song of Fire and Ice.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:50 pm

... I really liked the hunger games books..
I just finished reading "The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor"
not sure what book I want to read next

Vitalli

Dangerous Wife

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:53 pm
Menlusa
Sachie Whitby
I didn't have any problem with Dracula, but you either like Stoker's writing style or you don't. The only negative to it that I saw was that because it was told entirely from the point of view of letters, journals, etc; you pretty much knew that whoever the current POV writer was, that character was going to survive the scene.

No, I don't go for the guy writing "aaaaaaaaaah" on a cave wall as he sees a monster approaching when I read books.

Currently reading would be the Divine Comedy. I completely finished the Inferno/Hell section and was on the purgatory section when I got busy with other things. I may just start over from the beginning.

Yeah I think that was my issue with Dracula.
Although I have read a couple books where the point of view letters and journal entries, I just couldn't get into it with that one.

I've been meaning to read the Divine Comedy actually, but Its wayyy down on the list at the moment.

Just to warn you with the Divine Comedy as that it is essentially an epic poem, but Dante's writing style isn't nearly as reader friendly as Homer's. I'd read The Iliad and The Odyssey, preferably in that order, before the Divine Comedy if they are also on the list.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:54 pm
I'm finishing up Angela's Ashes. Harrowing, but well-written.

I also just picked up Heir Apparent by Vivan Vande Velde again. It's way below my reading level now, but when I first picked it up, it was one of the funniest things I'd read up to that point. It's still decent, and the humor hasn't aged for me.  

Espeonel

Dedicated Dabbler

17,050 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100

Menlusa

Sparkly Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:14 am
Ping of Death
Me too!

I didn't have an opportunity to study other myths because I was having a hard time finding books that aren't related to Roman or Greek. Thanks to the e-books, I have a bigger collection now.

Ah I have yet to delve into the great world of e-books, but yeah it's hard tofind any good mythology books not about greek or roman gods. Those ones are huge and I can only find tiny sections or books about other mythologies.

Sachie Whitby

Just to warn you with the Divine Comedy as that it is essentially an epic poem, but Dante's writing style isn't nearly as reader friendly as Homer's. I'd read The Iliad and The Odyssey, preferably in that order, before the Divine Comedy if they are also on the list.

Yeah, that is why its way down on the list actually.
I got the Illiad and the Odyssey last xmas (still needing the Aeneid) and I've been planning on reading those first to get used to the style and then venturing to Dante

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:58 am
Menlusa
Ping of Death
Me too!

I didn't have an opportunity to study other myths because I was having a hard time finding books that aren't related to Roman or Greek. Thanks to the e-books, I have a bigger collection now.

Ah I have yet to delve into the great world of e-books, but yeah it's hard tofind any good mythology books not about greek or roman gods. Those ones are huge and I can only find tiny sections or books about other mythologies.

I got most of my e-books from manybooks.net and Project Gutenberg. They're legit. You might be able to find some interesting books. 3nodding  

Ping of Death

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Ping of Death

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:00 am
Talim-Hime
I'm finishing up Angela's Ashes. Harrowing, but well-written.

I also just picked up Heir Apparent by Vivan Vande Velde again. It's way below my reading level now, but when I first picked it up, it was one of the funniest things I'd read up to that point. It's still decent, and the humor hasn't aged for me.
Angela's Ashes is one of my fave books! I even read the sequel called 'Tis. First book is much better though.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:23 am
Yesterday I read the Alice in wonderland books. Next I'll re-read either the Harry Potter books or the chronicles of Narnia, it really depends on how much time I have.

Hopefully I'll start going to the library in the new year, I really do need to read more books.  

Evil Goth Bunny

Kawaii Bunny

Ven Loraine

Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:26 am

TWILIGHT

YES. The thing I swore to never touch with a stick.

But it is kinda amusing. Not AS horrible as the movies, but still pretty damn bad.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:39 am
I want to read 'The Help' emotion_dowant I hope somebody gives it to me for Christmas.

Recently my friend told me she has the True Blood books so I've borrowed the first one. Haven't made it past page 2 though. /I need a good series. I haven't been reading lately.  

Waking Buddha

8,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Genea

Crew

Sexy Glitch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:40 am
I'm reading a bunch of classics at the moment. I love ebooks and a phone with a massive screen. emotion_dowant  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:53 am
Rayinte
ROMVLVS
Right now I'm reading Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher.

Codex Alera is one of my top three favorite high fantasy stories. Of all time.

Not reading anything at the moment, but I might re-read Hunger Games during my SWTOR downtime.

Yeah, I don't really read a lot of fantasy. I read a lot of sci fi, though, but the genre's are completely different.

I mean, I've read just about every discaorld books, and I read LotR when it came out, but other than that I haven't read anything.

Edit: Oh, and Harry Potter.  

ROMVLVS
Crew

Elocutionist

9,200 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gaian 50

DC-Chan

Mega Noob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:04 am
"The Nerd Who Loved Me" by Vicki Lewis Thompson...

"Nothing But Trouble" by Rachel Gibson...

"Body Check" by Deirdre Martin...

The last three books I read, and they're all really cheesy/steamy-sex filled romance novels...Involving hockey. And Vegas showgirls. And more hockey.

plz dun judge.

emotion_8c

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:25 am
I'm not reading anything because I don't really read unless I have to. LOL I haven't read any books "for fun" since High School.

If I do read, it's news or comedy articles. I like BBC and Cracked. I don't really have time to commit to reading something other than textbooks. So, articles are perfect for someone like me.

I read A LOT of manga but I wouldn't really count that as heavy reading. >>''  

I Found A Sexy 1

Chatty Lunatic

7,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Jolly Roger 50

Dickie Twinkles

Sparkly Shounen

15,150 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:29 am
Menlusa
Diet Poison
Dracula by Bram Stoker.

I've been interested for years, but never got around to obtaining a copy.

Can't seem to get far without being interrupted, though.

Oh em gee.
I went through a 'classic monster' phase a year ago and Dracula was the last one I read of that list.
And while I love frankenstein, dorian grey, etc, dracula was just horrible to me personally.
It took me a handful of days with the other ones, but it took me a year to finish stoker.

Too much waffle about paprika chicken scream  
Come Back Mero <33

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces