Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Slash Guild

Back to Guilds

HPSG is a guild for the discussion and pure love of all things Harry Potter and slash! Join us in support of your favorite pairing! 

Tags: Harry Potter, slash, Potter, femslash, Harry 

Reply HPSG Head Quarters
Severus Snape, Potions Master. Hot or not? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Ren The Ryoko]
Crew

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:42 pm
Specter Flux
[Ren The Ryoko]
Specter Flux
[Ren The Ryoko]

I would like to point out that you're thinking educators in a very limited range of countries. There are plenty of modern places around the world where smacking a student upside the head wouldn't be given a second glance.

The magical community is one of them.

Meh, I wouldn't want to hang out with him either though.

On a completely unrelated note, I hope when you start teaching you get saddled with a genius student who won't shut up. Just because it should be amazingly interesting to see how you deal with not being able to get anyone else in the class involved.

Or you have a system to go around the room in order, so everyone gets called on.
Or you have ALL the kids answer by using white boards or writing their answers down first.
Or you can have each kid in the class choose the NEXT kid to answer the question.

Except...

Snape tries to direct questions at other people.

And Hermione answers them anyway.

Snape tries to get students to correct their own mistakes in the hope that they might possibly learn from them.

And Hermione fixes Neville's potions anyway.

This is what I want to see you deal with, not just some person who's delighted they know things, which pretty much describes me as well.

Are we looking at the same scenes here?

Yes, Hermione helps her peers. Collaborative learning is actually highly encouraged in the academic literature. Snape's grading methods are harsh and unhelpful. He relies on insults to instruct students, shaming them for failures instead of giving suggestions.

I work with students who are encouraged to help their struggling classmates. Students aren't meant to be punished for not knowing things. They are supposed to be learning what they don't know.

Hermione raises her hand to answer questions, and as I recall, never shouted out except for the occasion I already talked about in which Snape was trying to humiliate Harry for not knowing things they hadn't even covered in class.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:46 pm
[Ren The Ryoko]
Specter Flux
[Ren The Ryoko]
Specter Flux
[Ren The Ryoko]

I would like to point out that you're thinking educators in a very limited range of countries. There are plenty of modern places around the world where smacking a student upside the head wouldn't be given a second glance.

On a completely unrelated note, I hope when you start teaching you get saddled with a genius student who won't shut up. Just because it should be amazingly interesting to see how you deal with not being able to get anyone else in the class involved.

Or you have a system to go around the room in order, so everyone gets called on.
Or you have ALL the kids answer by using white boards or writing their answers down first.
Or you can have each kid in the class choose the NEXT kid to answer the question.

Except...

Snape tries to get students to correct their own mistakes in the hope that they might possibly learn from them.

This is what I want to see you deal with, not just some person who's delighted they know things, which pretty much describes me as well.

Yes, Hermione helps her peers. Collaborative learning is actually highly encouraged in the academic literature. Snape's grading methods are harsh and unhelpful. He relies on insults to instruct students, shaming them for failures instead of giving suggestions.

I work with students who are encouraged to help their struggling classmates. Students aren't meant to be punished for not knowing things. They are supposed to be learning what they don't know.

Hermione raises her hand to answer questions, and as I recall, never shouted out except for the occasion I already talked about in which Snape was trying to humiliate Harry for not knowing things they hadn't even covered in class.

Do you think Snape would be so irritated by Hermione if she wasn't speaking when she clearly wasn't intended to?

Hermione isn't helping Neville, she's doing his work for him.

What would you do if during the middle of a test, one student leaned over and started filling out / rewriting the others' answers?  

Specter Flux

Amateur Millionaire

[Ren The Ryoko]
Crew

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:52 pm
Specter Flux
[Ren The Ryoko]
Specter Flux
[Ren The Ryoko]
Specter Flux
[Ren The Ryoko]

Except...

Do you think Snape would be so irritated by Hermione if she wasn't speaking when she clearly wasn't intended to?

What would you do if during the middle of a test, one student leaned over and started filling out / rewriting the others' answers?

I don't care HOW irritated Snape was. The way he acted is not the responsible way for a teacher to behave. He's not a child. He's supposed to be an educator.

And as I recall, Hermione WAS helping Neville. Mostly because Neville was too terrified of Snape to ask for help, and Snape would have only mocked him if he asked.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:55 pm
[Ren The Ryoko]
Specter Flux
[Ren The Ryoko]
Specter Flux
[Ren The Ryoko]

Except...

I don't care HOW irritated Snape was. The way he acted is not the responsible way for a teacher to behave. He's not a child. He's supposed to be an educator.

And as I recall, Hermione WAS helping Neville. Mostly because Neville was too terrified of Snape to ask for help, and Snape would have only mocked him if he asked.

I don't care how irritated Snape was either. You're missing the point. You implied there was no evidence Hermione constantly shouted in class. There's plenty of evidence. Like the fact that she apparently did it so much it drove Snape crazy.

What evidence is there she actually helped Neville rather than doing the work herself? I don't recall him learning anything, nor even her showing him what to do. All I recall is that she fixed his potion.  

Specter Flux

Amateur Millionaire

[Ren The Ryoko]
Crew

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:15 pm
Specter Flux
[Ren The Ryoko]
Specter Flux
[Ren The Ryoko]
Specter Flux
[Ren The Ryoko]

Except...

I don't care how irritated Snape was either. You're missing the point. You implied there was no evidence Hermione constantly shouted in class. There's plenty of evidence. Like the fact that she apparently did it so much it drove Snape crazy.

What evidence is there she actually helped Neville rather than doing the work herself? I don't recall him learning anything, nor even her showing him what to do. All I recall is that she fixed his potion.

Other than the fact that Snape is irritated, do you have any evidence that Hermione was actually shouting out?
We know that Snape has a sort fuse, after all. Him being irritated doesn't exactly imply that Hermione was being a huge distraction to the class.

Um..I remember her going over and helping him with his potions. Like, once she had finished her work, trying to get his to passable with him.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:43 am
[Ren The Ryoko]
Specter Flux
[Ren The Ryoko]
Specter Flux
[Ren The Ryoko]

Other than the fact that Snape is irritated, do you have any evidence that Hermione was actually shouting out?
We know that Snape has a sort fuse, after all. Him being irritated doesn't exactly imply that Hermione was being a huge distraction to the class.

Um..I remember her going over and helping him with his potions. Like, once she had finished her work, trying to get his to passable with him.

Yes, I have evidence.

A: Despite the rather limited amount of description given to classes, we still saw her shout out.
B: Snape was ticked off at her for doing this.
C: Snape tends to get irritated at people for things they actually do. He doesn't pull reasons out of thin air. "Hey, here's a kid who's keeping perfectly quiet, I think I'll take points away for constantly talking too much."
D: There is no evidence that Snape constantly accuses people falsely. You may disagree on whether he should be pointing out these perceived flaws, but there is generally no doubt that they exist.

Doing someone's work is not helping him in the context of school. Telling him where he went wrong is a good start, leading him to a better understanding so he won't make the same mistake next time perhaps, but just fixing his errors for him? Because you want him to feel good about himself, because you want him to get a good grade despite the fact the he doesn't deserve one and/or you yourself want to look brilliant? This is bad. Very, very bad.  

Specter Flux

Amateur Millionaire

[Ren The Ryoko]
Crew

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:20 am
Specter Flux
[Ren The Ryoko]
Specter Flux
[Ren The Ryoko]
Specter Flux
[Ren The Ryoko]

Yes, I have evidence.

A: Despite the rather limited amount of description given to classes, we still saw her shout out.
B: Snape was ticked off at her for doing this.
C: Snape tends to get irritated at people for things they actually do. He doesn't pull reasons out of thin air. "Hey, here's a kid who's keeping perfectly quiet, I think I'll take points away for constantly talking too much."
D: There is no evidence that Snape constantly accuses people falsely. You may disagree on whether he should be pointing out these perceived flaws, but there is generally no doubt that they exist.

Doing someone's work is not helping him in the context of school. Telling him where he went wrong is a good start, leading him to a better understanding so he won't make the same mistake next time perhaps, but just fixing his errors for him? Because you want him to feel good about himself, because you want him to get a good grade despite the fact the he doesn't deserve one and/or you yourself want to look brilliant? This is bad. Very, very bad.

Can I get a quote or at least a page number for Hermione shouting out in class? Because the only time I remember her talking out of turn was when Snape was firing unfair questions at Harry to embarrass him.

As I recall Hermione WAS trying to teach Neville how to fix the potions.
But even if they were "cheating", it's still not excuse for insulting students.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:41 pm
I find him attractive.  

Honey Sprinkles

Dangerous Informer

Born Backwards

Dapper Lunatic

10,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:20 am
[Ren The Ryoko]

I honestly find him ridiculously UNattractive.
Sure, Alan Rickman is awesome. Super hot. No doubt.

But Snape?
Bitter, angry, greasy, hook nosed bully, Snape?
No thank you. I feel no real attraction to any adult who would treat a child the way Snape treats Hermione and Neville.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:32 pm
Alan Rickman as Snape = Hot as hell 4laugh whee

As for the books, ermm... I haven't read them all. I really love him in Half Blood Prince and in the Prince's Tale. Yeah... I skipped around the books for him so I guess I do find him hot. HAHa  

kabulin

jempurpled

Newbie Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:54 pm
I don't find Snape attractive. I think of him more as just cool and someone to admire for his loyalty.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:37 am

Ew. No

Secret Kimiko

HPSG Head Quarters

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out