Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Asatru a la Deoridhe Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vingthor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:02 am
Deoridhe, i noticed one thing that was missing. Though you might not be done yet. The good gods, and the evil ones. I'm not sure if modern asatru makes any note of any difference between the two but those that have worshipped throughout their family does.

Quote:
Honestly, I think that's a lot of what the stories of the gods are for. The gods themselves are for grander things, but their stories are to teach us and make us think.

Congrats on the THor's Hammer!

And Tea, I love you.

Thor's hammer is called Mjolnir. The more you know, because knowledge is power.

One thing that i find most interesting about modern asatru though, are the rituals. Most have no historical bearing whatsoever and were just created on the spot. (Kinda like some things in wicca, I have nothing against wicca mind you.) I am not posting this to flame anyone or have anyone angry at me, i'm just making a remark.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:31 am
PhantomPhoenix0
Ok, here's a question. Is it possible to be an Asatruar, but have no specific diety you work with? If you remember my earlier thread in the main forum, I have issues in talking with the gods, so maybe im missing something, but I still havent seen any signs or anything. I do feel im in the right place though, just kinda lost sweatdrop

Don't feel left out. I had been waiting patiently for a sign for about 6 months before receiving one. Huginn and Muninn showed up in my backyard and decided to stay for good... after that, everything started falling into place. Just keep your eyes peeled. ^^  

Ciora

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:26 am
bobz
Though it may be simply random musings, every source I've found that has info on the runes/rune poems seems to spell the names of the runes differently.
In your opinion, or in your studies have you noticed this too? I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Also, what would you consider to be the best source for a listing of the rune-spellings (in English)?

I learned the names of the runes orally. I've seen a number of different names for a given rune (though most people can figure out which I am talking about) and a number of different spellings. I spell runes phonetically. Much to the delight of everyone around me. stare

PhantomPhoenix0
Ok, here's a question. Is it possible to be an Asatruar, but have no specific diety you work with? If you remember my earlier thread in the main forum, I have issues in talking with the gods, so maybe im missing something, but I still havent seen any signs or anything. I do feel im in the right place though, just kinda lost sweatdrop
Very much so.

Not all paths demand a patron.

I know a number of Asatru in my group that do not have patrons.

Deoridhe
Heh. Plus, some of them are just inaccurate. Industriusness? b***h, PLEASE. That's a Protestant value, not a Norse or Germanic one.
Now now- Industriusness does have it's place.

I mean, it takes a lot of work to lay around for the winter months then pillage... and their fields were stoney and icy for a large part of the year. To overcome that is industriusness if I ever saw it.

Quote:

Do. It's part list of do and do nots, part lists of names, and part bits of stories long lost.
Actually, I tend to view it more as a good suggestion.

I mean, some of the stuff is just good sense, none of which will have a god smiting you on GP.

Quote:

And Tea, I love you. heart

~"Drunk Thor Puppet"~ Luffs -hiccup- You tooz -hiccup, sloush of mead- You bawdy wench you! -hiccup- ~Thor goes back in his box~

Hokaru Moneru

One thing that i find most interesting about modern asatru though, are the rituals. Most have no historical bearing whatsoever and were just created on the spot. (Kinda like some things in wicca, I have nothing against wicca mind you.) I am not posting this to flame anyone or have anyone angry at me, i'm just making a remark.
I'm inclined to assert that this has more to do with the individual groups than an overall statement of Asatru practice.

For one, "Going 'neath the cloak" and Blots as my group does them are traditional. We might have a pre-Blot ritual which is unique, but a number of traditions are found within texts.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:43 pm
PhantomPhoenix0
Ok, here's a question. Is it possible to be an Asatruar, but have no specific diety you work with?

Very possible. In fact, I even know an atheistic AsatruaR who participates in a kindred. The concept of gods as patrons and matrons for everyone is a relatively new one. In the past you might favor a god and give more offerings to them, but there wasn't the sense of being chosen back, by and large, outside of the clergy. Some have explained the difference by saying that those being called back into the service of the gods would have been the clergy back then. I feel this is part of the story,b ut I dont' feel it is all of it.

---------------------------------

Hokaru Moneru
Deoridhe, i noticed one thing that was missing. Though you might not be done yet. The good gods, and the evil ones.

I don't think "good" and "evil" qualify when discussing the Norse gods, or even their enemies, so I won't ever discuss that. There are different ways of going about things, and there is a concept of "inside" and "outside," but I don't think either of those scan in any useful way onto "good" and "evil".

Hokaru Moneru
I'm not sure if modern asatru makes any note of any difference between the two but those that have worshipped throughout their family does.

Deoridhe
Congrats on the THor's Hammer!

Thor's hammer is called Mjolnir. The more you know, because knowledge is power.

What, exactly, made you think I didn't know that? However, Mjollnir is specifically the Hammer Thor Weilds; the Thor's Hammer is a representation of that; one may choose to honor the difference by referrign to that which humans wear as Thor's Hammer instead of claiming them all to be Mjolnir.

Hokaru Moneru
One thing that i find most interesting about modern asatru though, are the rituals. Most have no historical bearing whatsoever and were just created on the spot.

Actually, both the Blot and the Sumbel show up in the Sagas, or were you referring to different rituals which my Kindred doesn't do?

-----------------------------------

Chaiyo Dekana
Deoridhe
Heh. Plus, some of them are just inaccurate. Industriusness? b***h, PLEASE. That's a Protestant value, not a Norse or Germanic one.

I mean, it takes a lot of work to lay around for the winter months then pillage... and their fields were stoney and icy for a large part of the year. To overcome that is industriusness if I ever saw it.

Actually, I was under the impresison tha thistorically they raided in the wintertime when they couldn't farm...? Not the really bad part around Yule and for awhile after, of course, but once the harvest was done.

Chaiyo Dekana
Deoridhe
Do. It's part list of do and do nots, part lists of names, and part bits of stories long lost.

Actually, I tend to view it more as a good suggestion.

I mean, some of the stuff is just good sense, none of which will have a god smiting you on GP.

Some of it. I love the parts about keeping your mouth shut. lol After I got really drunk and passed out and ended up praying to the porcelein gods for a couple hours I was quoted the bit about not overimbibing. My kindred are cruel, sometimes.

Chaiyo Dekana
Deoridhe
And Tea, I love you. heart

~"Drunk Thor Puppet"~ Luffs -hiccup- You tooz -hiccup, sloush of mead- You bawdy wench you! -hiccup- ~Thor goes back in his box~

*places a bottle of homebrew in with him* heart I do love Thor; he's incredibly forgiving.

Chaiyo Dekana
For one, "Going 'neath the cloak" and Blots as my group does them are traditional. We might have a pre-Blot ritual which is unique, but a number of traditions are found within texts.

I haven't gone 'neath the cloak yet, but reading about it was very interesting. Jenny Blain went into that and other bits of Seidhr in her book on them.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

PhantomPhoenix0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:37 pm
Deoridhe
Chaiyo Dekana
Deoridhe

Actually, I was under the impresison tha thistorically they raided in the wintertime when they couldn't farm...? Not the really bad part around Yule and for awhile after, of course, but once the harvest was done.

Ive been reading Egil's Saga, and it talks about raids being done during the summer, then settling down for the winter. Ill try to dig up sections of it.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:57 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Vingthor

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:36 am
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:34 pm

Vingthor

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:16 am
As an FYI, I've updated the first page.

Thanks!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:38 pm
I was reading over the creation myth the other day, and I began to wonder if it is to be taken symbolicly, as opposed to literaly.  

PhantomPhoenix0

Charity.Solei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:56 pm
Ok. Something I have always wondered about is if you have a creation myth in your religion? If so what is your take on it?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:45 pm
yes we do. and i believe it whole heartedly, but since this is deoridhe's thread, im gonna let her explain it.  

Vingthor

Actumen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:34 am
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:08 am
I actually know a handful of Asatru who take the creation myth quit literally. So much so that they deny evolution. I don't think Deo falls into that group though.  

TeaDidikai

PhantomPhoenix0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:56 pm
TeaDidikai
I actually know a handful of Asatru who take the creation myth quit literally. So much so that they deny evolution. I don't think Deo falls into that group though.

I would imagine that some take it literally, I was just interested in if it was a universal belief that the ground we stand on is literaly the remains of Ymir.  
PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff