Welcome to Gaia! ::

[ B U R N :: the everything guild ]

Back to Guilds

The Everything Guild... For Everyone, Everywhere. Designed with you in mind, to help you make the very most out of your Gaia experience! 

Tags: charity, contests, reality, advice, gold 

Reply - Extended Discussion & Debate -
Is it okay to interfere with other countries affairs? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Matasoga
Crew

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:45 pm
Supinelu
Matasoga
Supinelu
Matasoga
Supinelu
If they ask for help, or our country you know, actually consults with these peoples and attempts to understand their belief system/culture/whatnot.
Because I'm fairly sure I could tell you exactly what response some Americans would have to other countries fiddling in our affairs.

The countries leaders understanding and the soldiers are two different things. I think people enlisting for any service where they might ever be deployed overseas should be made to pass a foreign affairs/world cultures class before they are authorized.

You really need both, in my opinion. The countries leaders have to understand before they can authorize these foreign affairs cultures. They need to know what they're informing, after all. We all need to keep making improvements there - America, Britain, France, third world countries etc. etc.
It shouldn't be so hard just to give a s**t about someone elses way of life.
Also fully my opinion.

Oh, I don't mean to say that they aren't both important. I guess I have no reason to assume that the leader being informed is a given... Not after Bush. No matter who is in charge though, if the soliders conduct themselves as uneducated, ethnocentric, ignorant, uncultured, bumpkin twits then the way that America is viewed by the rest of the world will never change.

I know what you meant :3
I just have a hard time placing full blame on a group of people thrust into a chaotic and difficult situation when society at home is putting all sorts of negative ideals/claims in their heads. Of course, this isn't the leaders of the nations entirely, so it was a bit of a misstep continuing down that line.

And I don't mean to be overly critical of my own country either, though I personally believe that it could do some more serious looking into it's actions. With America being one of the bigger nations that it is, like it or not, we're role models. I'd like to see more positive stories or hell, even just less violent ones. But that's our media for you >.>

If you (or any other civilians in this or any other country) saw the unreleased pictures from Gitmo or the soldiers taking a picture with a middle Eastern man holding a sign that says "I ******** camels" presented as nothing but a funny sig pic, you might not think it "overcritical" at all.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:09 pm
Matasoga

If you (or any other civilians in this or any other country) saw the unreleased pictures from Gitmo or the soldiers taking a picture with a middle Eastern man holding a sign that says "I ******** camels" presented as nothing but a funny sig pic, you might not think it "overcritical" at all.

Hmm...you know, I might be a little distracted here. Mostly, I just don't want to be seen acting like America's a horrible miserable place and should be blasted out into space.

Could use a hit over the head about certain things, but not absolutely irredeemable.

I have seen some of those pictures that are mentioned and they are horrible and disgusting. Those issue should be taken with soldiers like that. Not every single soldier. There are some very good people out there.  

Supinelu

Versatile Genius

Matasoga
Crew

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:42 pm
Supinelu
Matasoga

Hmm...you know, I might be a little distracted here. Mostly, I just don't want to be seen acting like America's a horrible miserable place and should be blasted out into space.
Could use a hit over the head about certain things, but not absolutely irredeemable.
I have seen some of those pictures that are mentioned and they are horrible and disgusting. Those issue should be taken with soldiers like that. Not every single soldier. There are some very good people out there.

Make no mistake, I don't hate America. I love what it could be and it pains me that the two are so different, but I'm just sick to death with the idea that we might not have federally recognized gay marriage in my lifetime. That thought is absolutely disgusting, shameful and appalling. Not only that, but we go about liberating places abroad from their tyranny without even having to open our eyes to our own.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:48 pm
Matasoga
Supinelu
Matasoga

Make no mistake, I don't hate America. I love what it could be and it pains me that the two are so different, but I'm just sick to death with the idea that we might not have federally recognized gay marriage in my lifetime. That thought is absolutely disgusting, shameful and appalling. Not only that, but we go about liberating places abroad from their tyranny without even having to open our eyes to our own.

:3
I see. I'm glad to hear other people think we should hold ourselves just as accountable as we do others.  

Supinelu

Versatile Genius

Matasoga
Crew

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:53 pm
Supinelu
Matasoga
Supinelu
Matasoga

I see. I'm glad to hear other people think we should hold ourselves just as accountable as we do others.

Yes, it's that precisely, though we should discuss that particular aspect no further here out of respect for the original topic.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:01 pm
Matasoga
Supinelu
Matasoga
Supinelu
Matasoga

Yes, it's that precisely, though we should discuss that particular aspect no further here out of respect for the original topic.

Yes. I do apologize for appearing to get severely side tracked OP sweatdrop  

Supinelu

Versatile Genius

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:08 pm
Yes. Whatever will benefit our country the most. That's how international politics has always been.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:43 pm
Matasoga
Supinelu
Matasoga

Fun fact, Matasoga: I'm from Texas and very proud of that fact. I'm a Soldier in an All Male unit. I am a straight Christian male. I am open about my support for gay marriage (And yes, I use the word Marriage) and the repeal of DADT. I'm like the anomoly among people like me. XD

And thanks, Supinelu. XD  

Lord Redtail Rathan

Invisible Genius

Matasoga
Crew

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:03 am
Lord Redtail Rathan
Matasoga
Supinelu
Matasoga

Fun fact, Matasoga: I'm from Texas and very proud of that fact. I'm a Soldier in an All Male unit. I am a straight Christian male. I am open about my support for gay marriage (And yes, I use the word Marriage) and the repeal of DADT. I'm like the anomoly among people like me. XD
And thanks, Supinelu. XD

I wish that there were more of your lot that had your views.
For the record, I am fervently anti-war, but that doesn't mean that I am anti-soldier. People on my side of the fence become assholes if they are unable to tell the difference between on and the other.
I believe that myself and all people who hold anti-war ideals would do well to remind themselves that the soldiers didn't start the wars and signing up (usually with either high-minded ideals or as a way to help themselves get by) are not to blame.
Point being, you won't hear me soldier-bashing... But nor will I come to the defense of soldiers who break the law or have no respect for the foreign peoples or their culture while occupying their land. It is they, as I mentioned, who perpetuate the image of "ignorant, ethnocentrist American" to the world at large and I would like to see all such people face immediate discharge.
Excuse me if I wandered a bit too far from the topic at hand.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:11 am
Matasoga
Lord Redtail Rathan
Matasoga
Supinelu
Matasoga

And thanks, Supinelu. XD

I wish that there were more of your lot that had your views.
For the record, I am fervently anti-war, but that doesn't mean that I am anti-soldier. People on my side of the fence become assholes if they are unable to tell the difference between on and the other.
I believe that myself and all people who hold anti-war ideals would do well to remind themselves that the soldiers didn't start the wars and signing up (usually with either high-minded ideals or as a way to help themselves get by) are not to blame.
Point being, you won't hear me soldier-bashing... But nor will I come to the defense of soldiers who break the law or have no respect for the foreign peoples or their culture while occupying their land. It is they, as I mentioned, who perpetuate the image of "ignorant, ethnocentrist American" to the world at large and I would like to see all such people face immediate discharge.
Excuse me if I wandered a bit too far from the topic at hand.

While i was against Operation Iraqi Freedom (or "New Dawn" as a bunch of political ******** call it), I still agree with Enduring Freedom, of which I am currently deployed in support of. Now that I'm actually in Agfhanistan, I can see why we've been here so long. It wasn't just to catch bin laden and al-Queda, but to take away enough Taliban power that the Aghani people can reclaim their own country for the first time in decades. These people are tired of wars. Just the other day I was patrolling through Herat, and I saw little trees on the side of the road, all in a line. The people are trying to bring this country back to its former glory. I love this culture. I love the people I've talked to. I've even been trying to learn Dari (The ancient language of persia) so that i can do more than say hello and good bye. I have the utmost respect for these people, though I blame my mother for that. She's a VERY southern woman. But I do freely admit that when it comes to the Taliban pieces of shittake mushroms, I have absolutely no qualms about lining my rear sight apeture with my front sight post, pointing it at his face, and pulling the trigger. Any person that will strap on a vest full of bombs, walk into a crowded market with men, women, and children, and blow themselves up, is NOT a patriot, NOR a human being. There's a reason why a good portion of us Soldiers agree and support OEF. Because no parent should be afraid of sending their daughter to school. No man should have to worry about armed thugs invading his home, shooting his sons, raping his daughters and wives (regardless of the age of either), shooting them, all in front of him because he decided to be polite to an American. Whether or not a bunch of civilians and hippies (Not calling you one, I'm referring to others) think we shouldn't be over there, I do. If I was former president Bush in 2001, I'd've sent the US Military in, even knowing what I do know. "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of all who threaten it."

-"Doc"
2STB
2nd BDE, 4th ID
US Army
"All People Long to be Free."  

Lord Redtail Rathan

Invisible Genius

psycheduck

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:44 am
WhiteWingtip
Peace Makers are more like the US*; they go in, guns waving, and demand peace, or else.

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep...

"Fighting for peace is like ******** for virginity." - George Carlin

...because reality is finally better than your dreams...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:17 am
Umbrae Ac Silentium
WhiteWingtip
Peace Makers are more like the US*; they go in, guns waving, and demand peace, or else.

"Fighting for peace is like ******** for virginity." - George Carlin

To White Wingtip: Go ******** yourself. Thank you.

To UAS: I'm tired of seeing that quote everywhere. You have absolutely no idea just how often war and conflict bring about peace. most people don't unless they see it through the eyes of a soldier or a person in the country said war or conflict takes place.  

Lord Redtail Rathan

Invisible Genius

psycheduck

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:14 pm
Lord Redtail Rathan

Flaming other members is NOT acceptable. Don't do it again.

User Image
Umbrae Ac Silentium
~he who wields the banhammer
~master of the no-dachi kinshi no ken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:44 pm
Umbrae Ac Silentium
Lord Redtail Rathan

Flaming other members is NOT acceptable. Don't do it again.

User Image
Umbrae Ac Silentium
~he who wields the banhammer
~master of the no-dachi kinshi no ken

Lol. My bad. I just found that insulting. I don't go in "guns waving" and demand peace "or else."  

Lord Redtail Rathan

Invisible Genius

An Honest M I A

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:15 pm
Nice to see were still on topic... stare But I kinda saw this coming, oh well.  
- Extended Discussion & Debate -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff