Welcome to Gaia! ::

Death Note Forum

Back to Guilds

Death Note Forum - Come join us for Death Note information, graphics, screenshots, quotes, artwork, news, role play, games, fun and prizes! 

Tags: Death Note, Death Note Forum, Death Note Role Play, Death Note Anime, Death Note Fans 

Reply Death Note Discussion
Who was really justice: L or Light? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Who was justice?
Light
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
L
53%
 53%  [ 28 ]
Neither
28%
 28%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 52

Zaige Delecroix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:52 am
DomaDoma
Zaige Delecroix
And there is a difference between putting a toe out of line and being an outright bully.

There's also a difference between laziness and being an outright bully. How about tagging? Don't forget that suicide-by-tagging attempt in episode thirty. I'm sure that a lack of graffiti on the walls is worth a few hundred deaths.

And that's just what Light sets out to judge.

By episode three, he's killing mere suspects, and not the kind, like Otaharada, who are actually in the process of committing a crime and the news media is just being polite. By his third year of judgments, he's relying on this great big Lodge 341, this Defarge's Knitting Club, they call the Internet. Now, probably a plurality, if not a majority, of the information there comes from leaks by police officers. But police officers are hardly immune from mistakes, vendettas and plain bad faith; that's why we have a justice system, not just a whole bunch of police officers.

PS: Personally, I'd rather deal with the jerks in life than see them dead. But as I don't think we'll ever agree on that point, it's not part of my argument.

Yes, I agree that killing people for being lazy isn't a good thing. All the other stuff that you have listed are things I would have to go back and rewatch the show to pick up on. But I think you are right that some of our disagreement stems from a difference in principles rather than a different understanding. Many people just don't get that and just keep insisting that they know something I don't.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:34 pm
Zaige Delecroix
DeathNotesC
L of course. Justice isn't doing what's good for good necessarily, is it? Justice is doing good for everyone. While it's true criminals had their chance to be good citizens, they do NOT deserve to die for those actions, especially if it's something like robbery. Needless to say, I do not support the death penalty.

I think what L sees as Justice is everyone's right to freedom and happiness. We, as humans, have absolutely no right to judge and punish others for their wrongdoings since we are all human. By definition, humans are born with original sin. Punishing people like that is hypocrisy, especially in killing them. How does that make you any better than they?

Also, Justice doesn't see itself as God. That's ridiculous and arrogant.

L is Justice, and I have never and will never think otherwise. :]

L supports the death penalty. He was going to have Kira executed once he was caught. How do you reconcile believing that L is justice with not supporting the death penalty? If you ask me, THAT stinks of hypocrisy more than anything.

Has it ever really been said that L supports the death penalty? Yes, he was going to execute Kira. Could that be because that would be common good? Sacrificing one life for the good of many is, you would think, the right thing to do, even if those lives are, themselves, criminal. If Kira was never stopped, everyone would eventually fall victim, no?  

DeathNotesC

Zaige Delecroix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:31 pm
DeathNotesC
Zaige Delecroix
DeathNotesC
L of course. Justice isn't doing what's good for good necessarily, is it? Justice is doing good for everyone. While it's true criminals had their chance to be good citizens, they do NOT deserve to die for those actions, especially if it's something like robbery. Needless to say, I do not support the death penalty.

I think what L sees as Justice is everyone's right to freedom and happiness. We, as humans, have absolutely no right to judge and punish others for their wrongdoings since we are all human. By definition, humans are born with original sin. Punishing people like that is hypocrisy, especially in killing them. How does that make you any better than they?

Also, Justice doesn't see itself as God. That's ridiculous and arrogant.

L is Justice, and I have never and will never think otherwise. :]

L supports the death penalty. He was going to have Kira executed once he was caught. How do you reconcile believing that L is justice with not supporting the death penalty? If you ask me, THAT stinks of hypocrisy more than anything.

Has it ever really been said that L supports the death penalty? Yes, he was going to execute Kira. Could that be because that would be common good? Sacrificing one life for the good of many is, you would think, the right thing to do, even if those lives are, themselves, criminal. If Kira was never stopped, everyone would eventually fall victim, no?

And by killing criminals, Light protected a lot of innocent people from being killed by them. What gives L the right if Light doesn't have the right? And whether or not L supports the death penalty, the fact of the matter is that he was working for a system that you apparently don't support, which means that L shouldn't be justice either in your book.

I may not agree with the philosophy that no one has the right to take the life of another, but I can at least respect that they have that opinion. But your stance is nothing but blatant hypocrisy. What makes it even worse is the fact that you denounced Light and people who would support him as being hypocrites which, ironically, makes you an even bigger hypocrite than you would have been otherwise.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:25 pm
I think that L was more Justice than anything because Light just killed people even if it was for the greater good. L was trying to save people instead of having them murdered by a freakazode that thought it was his job to clean up the world...  

Saiisawsome

Kavoru

Moonlight Hunter

8,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:03 pm
L...
You see.. At first, Light had a (somewhat) good idea, getting rid of all criminals. But when L began to taunt Light, if you notice, he vowed to get rid of L.. Not because L is a criminal, but because L was against him. Also, whenever someone came close to finding him out, he would kill them. Even if they were innocent. L never used innocent people as decoys. Lind L. Taylor was a criminal, who was already scheduled to be executed later that day.
So, as you can see..
Light is not justice.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:15 pm
Kavoru
L never used innocent people as decoys.

Technically speaking, he did use Matsuda as a decoy. But there was nothing to point to Higuchi having the Eyes, so yeah.  

DomaDoma

Kavoru

Moonlight Hunter

8,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:36 pm
DomaDoma
Kavoru

Technically speaking, he did use Matsuda as a decoy. But there was nothing to point to Higuchi having the Eyes, so yeah.

When did he use Matsuda as a decoy?
I can't really remember.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:03 am
Kavoru
DomaDoma
Kavoru

When did he use Matsuda as a decoy?
I can't really remember.

During the plan to snare Higuchi, he set up this long, drawn-out talk show on Sakura TV where they'd reveal Matsuda as the spy, see how Higuchi attempts to kill him with a second fake name, and then grab him. "In and out", as they should know better than to say on Firefly. =p  

DomaDoma

Kavoru

Moonlight Hunter

8,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:56 pm
But he wasn't really behind the screen. They were just mannequins. Weren't they?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:38 pm
Sadly i had to vote neither... i think they both had good ideas. and personally i like L alot better then Light. but thats aside the point. the really character that personifies justice is not in the poll. and that character would be out of two characters. Matsuda of Yagami-sama.  

x-Mi-Ma-x

Beloved Kitten

6,950 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • The Wolf Within 100

DomaDoma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:15 pm
Kavoru
But he wasn't really behind the screen. They were just mannequins. Weren't they?

By the time Higuchi got to the studio, yes. Which is why I'm saying it doesn't really count.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:54 pm
DomaDoma
Kavoru

By the time Higuchi got to the studio, yes. Which is why I'm saying it doesn't really count.

Oh. Lol. It's been like a year since I watched the show.. xD  

Kavoru

Moonlight Hunter

8,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200

FoxMarcello

4,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:55 pm
Like I said on the other thread, all in all I'm on team L. However, that doesn't mean I think he was totally in the right. I voted that neither of them are justice because, again mentioned in my other post, Light thought he could judge people just by what he hears on the news, not knowing for certain their true feelings and intentions. He was also willing to kill anyone who got in his way, regardless of who they were.

On the other hand, I don't think L was justice, mostly because it didn't seem to me that he had an interest in anyone who got in his way either. When L saw a possible advantage in Misa, for example, he took it without a second thought of anyone's feelings or opinions. L was able to keep the deaths he caused within death row, but I don't think he'd hesitate if an innocent person had to die...  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:41 pm
I am on team L til the end! He is ahmazing and i absolutly love him!!! Even though he would make me fat I love him!!! Hes super smart!! 4laugh

User Image  

x-Miss Understood

xRyiox

Melodious Lunatic

10,050 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:44 am
That's a good question! But the answer is neither. They had different views of justice, both as a lawful good and a lawful evil.

So, I don't think any sane person would have supported either of them. In the end they were just stalemates of one another and both views ended in the death of both of them.  
Death Note Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff