Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Music and Magic Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pelta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:29 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:56 am

Pelta

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:23 am
Thank you so much!

Question: Do you assign certain coraspondences to different notes for magical toning?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:51 am
TeaDidikai
Thank you so much!
No problem! Happy to help! mrgreen

Quote:
Question: Do you assign certain coraspondences to different notes for magical toning?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean... If you mean that a C could be used for something different from an F or any other note, then no. A single note doesn't have much meaning without relating to other notes. That's why intervals and scales are so important. It's the relationships between notes that make music what it is.
Now, I think certain keys could be used for different things. Like the C major scale is in the key of C, and how pieces in the key of C (Ie. being major and having no sharps or flats) could have a slightly different effect than, say, a piece in F major. That's because I hear a different tone quality in the two.
Erm.... Does that answer your question?  

Pelta

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:01 pm
missmagpie
TeaDidikai
Thank you so much!
No problem! Happy to help! mrgreen

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean... If you mean that a C could be used for something different from an F or any other note, then no. A single note doesn't have much meaning without relating to other notes. That's why intervals and scales are so important. It's the relationships between notes that make music what it is.
Now, I think certain keys could be used for different things. Like the C major scale is in the key of C, and how pieces in the key of C (Ie. being major and having no sharps or flats) could have a slightly different effect than, say, a piece in F major. That's because I hear a different tone quality in the two.
Erm.... Does that answer your question?

Sort of.

Toning- either abstract (single sound drawn out at random) or contextual (such as the Futhark) can be a very useful tool (although I don't think it is complex enough to be music on its own).

I ask because it would be interesting if contextual toning shifted with the note based upon corraspondences the note carries on it's own.

For example- if Fehu, was to be toned to invoke wealth, and middle C was tied to physical existance while high C was tied to say- intellectual influences, and what you really wanted was for a college scholarship to come through, one could tone Fehu in high C.

Make sense?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:01 pm
TeaDidikai
Toning- either abstract (single sound drawn out at random) or contextual (such as the Futhark) can be a very useful tool (although I don't think it is complex enough to be music on its own).

I ask because it would be interesting if contextual toning shifted with the note based upon corraspondences the note carries on it's own.

For example- if Fehu, was to be toned to invoke wealth, and middle C was tied to physical existance while high C was tied to say- intellectual influences, and what you really wanted was for a college scholarship to come through, one could tone Fehu in high C.

Make sense?
Ooooh! I've never heard of this before! Call me stupid but I'd never heard that the Futhark had musical connotations! eek *Interest piqued* Is there a way to learn more?

But for your purposes the context would be put on the note by the person using it. I would have never known that C could be toned to invoke wealth if you hadn't told me, and I've been playing that note nearly every day for the past eleven years! The problem I can see with that is if you just heard a note, would you be able to say that it is C? Very few people have perfect pitch, and if you can't tell the difference in sound between a C and an A#, how can the C alone have any specific significance? My focus on this is more on the sound of the note itself and the effects one can draw out of the music, as opposed to the context placed onto the note externally. It is a really interesting thought though....  

Pelta

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:13 pm
Toning the Futhark works like most any other mantra one can think of. The single word (in this case the name of the futhark letter in question) has meanings tied to it.

I wasn't suggesting that middle C itself would be intoned for wealth beyond the context of Fehu, but that the different notes and pitches would have meaning- such as those ascribed to the Chakras.

For example- an Eclectic pagan might look at the Chakras and that which is ruled by them. One could draw the note tied to the Chakra (for the sample above, the note used in connection with the throat chakra so that one's words which speak one's mind might be a "clear path" towards the scholarship) and thus opt to tone Fehu (meaning wealth) with the note for the throat chakra in order to make room for the scholarship.

(Did that make sense to anyone?)  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:18 pm
TeaDidikai
That made perfect sense to me. Being a singer and not much of an instrument musician anymore, I might be able to figure out what notes would work with that combination, for myself at least, based on what vibrations are produced in my body and what images certain pitches evoke for me...Very sensible.  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:28 pm
TheDisreputableDog
TeaDidikai
That made perfect sense to me. Being a singer and not much of an instrument musician anymore, I might be able to figure out what notes would work with that combination, for myself at least, based on what vibrations are produced in my body and what images certain pitches evoke for me...Very sensible.
Ah good. I love it when magical theory makes sense to other people.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:45 pm
TeaDidikai
For example- an Eclectic pagan might look at the Chakras and that which is ruled by them. One could draw the note tied to the Chakra (for the sample above, the note used in connection with the throat chakra so that one's words which speak one's mind might be a "clear path" towards the scholarship) and thus opt to tone Fehu (meaning wealth) with the note for the throat chakra in order to make room for the scholarship.

Mostly. It's an interesting mix. And as notes do have specific vibration frequencies I could understand how they would have effects on the body's energy centres. So what you're saying is to use the Futhark and an associated note as a mantra. To take that a bit further, couldn't you use combinations of tones and runes to create something like a musical bind-rune, created to a specific function? It would be more complex than just toning it as a mantra, and could be used as more like a song. Also, If one assigned each note of a scale to a Chakra (discounting the octave, so there would be seven distinct, different notes) and then used a combination of the tones to activate or influence specific Chakras....  

Pelta

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:39 pm
missmagpie
So what you're saying is to use the Futhark and an associated note as a mantra. To take that a bit further, couldn't you use combinations of tones and runes to create something like a musical bind-rune, created to a specific function? It would be more complex than just toning it as a mantra, and could be used as more like a song. Also, If one assigned each note of a scale to a Chakra (discounting the octave, so there would be seven distinct, different notes) and then used a combination of the tones to activate or influence specific Chakras....
Bingo- I just wouldn't call it a bind rune as the word has a specific meaning.

But you nailed the concept.  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:39 am

Pelta

Kal Eldritch

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:07 pm
Question: As one could associate different notes with the Futhark, would these notes be set in stone, or is the meaning of the note of a more personal level? Also, if one were to figure out what note meant wealth to them, could it be conceivable that notes of a mathematically constant patern (Hz divided or multiplied by 2, for example) could be somehow related (they are essentially the same note, just in an octave up or down), or would it be more likely that each different frequency had a different meaning and no set relationship to other tones?  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:17 am
Sovereign of Darkness
Question: As one could associate different notes with the Futhark, would these notes be set in stone, or is the meaning of the note of a more personal level? Also, if one were to figure out what note meant wealth to them, could it be conceivable that notes of a mathematically constant patern (Hz divided or multiplied by 2, for example) could be somehow related (they are essentially the same note, just in an octave up or down), or would it be more likely that each different frequency had a different meaning and no set relationship to other tones?

I personally wouldn't ascribe certain meanings to specific notes for the simple reason that you'd have to have perfect pitch for it to work right. If you did, though, I would think mathematically related notes would have very similar, if not the same meanings. C is still C, whether it's low C, middle C or super high C. It's still a C. The difference would be in vibration rates - that high C might get you up and jumpy because it's more energetic and low C might be more grounding because of its depth. But then we're working with the sound itself and not the letter names. I mean, could you tell if something was a low C just by hearing the note?  

Pelta

Kal Eldritch

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:44 pm
missmagpie
Sovereign of Darkness

I personally wouldn't ascribe certain meanings to specific notes for the simple reason that you'd have to have perfect pitch for it to work right. If you did, though, I would think mathematically related notes would have very similar, if not the same meanings. C is still C, whether it's low C, middle C or super high C. It's still a C. The difference would be in vibration rates - that high C might get you up and jumpy because it's more energetic and low C might be more grounding because of its depth. But then we're working with the sound itself and not the letter names. I mean, could you tell if something was a low C just by hearing the note?
Actually, I could. When i hear a note, I relate it to four of the pitches that I memorized. Me being a violenist, those notes are (in order from lowest to highest)G, D, A, E. Granted, they're the only notes that I've memorized, but by relating each note to one of those gives me a vague understanding of just where on the scale it is. It might not be spot on, but it'd be in the ball park.

The only reason I ask is if you would want to have multiple people in a music based ritual (more of in the note sense, not freqency sense). There would have to be some sort of system in order to maintaing consistency with energy output in the ritual. If a note meant something else to everyone, the circle wouldn't that be effective. Then again, music and magic could be considered personal, so maybe I'm just grasping at straws.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff