Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Just a question... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:55 pm
illyrianth
Longbow UK
illyrianth

But that would be akin to stating the French, Spanish and Germans are one and the same...which I don't think they'd agree with... XD

I see where you're coming from, but that's a bit different. They're huge. sweatdrop Britain is a tiny island in comparison. You don't have to travel that far to go from England to Wales, or from Scotland to England.

Buuuuuuuuut...Luxembourg is tiny too....and it's a country in its own right wink

Technically, yes... But again, that's a bit different. If France was an Island and Luxembourg was a part of that island then I would consider their people to be French as they were born on the island known as France.

It's the same with Britain. If you're born on this island then you are British. There are no two ways about it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:58 pm
I think we may have to agree to disagree on that point.  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

stringedmessenger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:01 pm
Longbow UK
illyrianth
Longbow UK
illyrianth

But that would be akin to stating the French, Spanish and Germans are one and the same...which I don't think they'd agree with... XD

I see where you're coming from, but that's a bit different. They're huge. sweatdrop Britain is a tiny island in comparison. You don't have to travel that far to go from England to Wales, or from Scotland to England.

Buuuuuuuuut...Luxembourg is tiny too....and it's a country in its own right wink

Technically, yes... But again, that's a bit different. If France was an Island and Luxembourg was a part of that island then I would consider their people to be French as they were born on the island known as France.

It's the same with Britain. If you're born on this island then you are British. There are no two ways about it.

Disagree...if you are born in scotland then you are scottish, welsh in wales, etc... wars have been fought for less! Gaelic in its various celtic coloquial forms is still used scotland,wales, and even cornwall because even they do not class themselves as british.... beware the celts ...and illy ! ~running again !~ ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:03 pm
stringedmessenger
Disagree...if you are born in scotland then you are scottish, welsh in wales, etc... wars have been fought for less! Gaelic in its various celtic coloquial forms is still used scotland,wales, and even cornwall because even they do not class themselves as british.... beware the celts ...and illy ! ~running again !~ ninja

stare Am I going to have to beat you again? domokun  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:03 pm
illyrianth

...But I don't understand it. sweatdrop If your born in Britain then you are British, regardless of your descendants. I could say "I'm not British, i'm a Viking from Scandinavia" but there's no logic in that.

To say you're not British is to say you weren't born on this island.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:06 pm
Longbow UK
illyrianth

...But I don't understand it. sweatdrop If your born in Britain then you are British, regardless of your descendants. I could say "I'm not British, i'm a Viking from Scandinavia" but there's no logic in that.

But some people do not want to be referred to as British. They want to be classed as Welsh, Irish, Scots or even as stringedmessenger said, Cornish. They want to retain a separate identity from the whole.

It's a personal thing and no amount of debate will ever explain it. That's the great thing about personal choice smile  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:08 pm
stringedmessenger

If you were born in Scotland then yes, you are Scottish, but you are also British because believe it or not, Scotland is a part of Britain.

Scottish
English
Welsh

= British

= European

Do the Scots deny being European as well?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:09 pm
Longbow UK
illyrianth

...Don't worry about it and enjoy youre ancestry, I am part scottish /jewish/spanish/english so.... och aye musseltof que passe mate, at least your not a chav begods..... mmm viking eh.. good stuff.. thats wher ethe word "Ale" originates from ..cheers wink  

stringedmessenger

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:11 pm
Longbow UK
stringedmessenger

If you were born in Scotland then yes, you are Scottish, but you are also British because believe it or not, Scotland is a part of Britain.

Scottish
English
Welsh

= British

= European

Hells hon, I deny being European - vehemently...~shrugs~ It's personal opinion, to which everyone is fully entitled....  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:12 pm
The problem is that being British is conflated with the idea of being English.  

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:15 pm
illyrianth
Longbow UK
illyrianth

But some people do not want to be referred to as British. They want to be classed as Welsh, Irish, Scots or even as stringedmessenger said, Cornish. They want to retain a separate identity from the whole.

It's a personal thing and no amount of debate will ever explain it. That's the great thing about personal choice smile

They may not like it, but that doesn't change the truth. They lost the wars... why can they not accept that already?

...I don't particularly like being referred to as British either. I would rather simply be seen as English. But I can't squint my eyes, tap my feet together, and suddenly make the fact that I am British go away. lol

I don't like being called a European either, but I still am one. It's what's known as reality.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:15 pm
Longbow UK
stringedmessenger

Scottish
English
Welsh

= British

= European

I think the scots deny being british but are probably more european than the english due to the ancestral french links in days gone by and a few hundred years ago.

My work operation is in the south but my client operation is in edinburgh and certainly none of the staff young and old would admit to being "british". But hey the Macallan malt is cheaper up there so why get into an unnecessary argument..? heart peace love and single malt

p.s. you can be whatever you want to be and don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.. I am a guitarist above anything else .. and I couldn't give two hoots about any pigeon holeing from political weasels who strive to exercise control over the country for corrupt personal gain... oops
Quote:
child of the seventies
slipped out there... long live s3x dr8gs rock and roll wink  

stringedmessenger

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:21 pm
Longbow UK

...I don't particularly like being referred to as British either. I would rather simply be seen as English. But I can't squint my eyes, tap my feet together, and suddenly make the fact that I am British go away. lol

I don't like being called a European either, but I still am one. It's what's known as reality.

It's more perception than anything else. Personally, I believe that people are fully entitled to their own perception of "the way things are". There is no absolute reality in this case...as with most things in life.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:22 pm
hocrap! Tis late and I have work on the morrow.,..Night night!

EDIT _ Still say I'd love to be Italian though...~wistful sigh~  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:37 pm
stringedmessenger

p.s. you can be whatever you want to be and don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise..

So what if I was to wake up one day and say "I feel a bit French today... I think i'll go tell everyone that I am." despite the fact that I was born on this island, as were all of my relatives. (Ones that I know of)

Would that be okay? wink

The next day I may wake up and decide i'm Saxon. rolleyes See what i'm saying? ...At the end of the day, you are what you are whether you like it or not. If you're born on this island then you are British.

Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff