Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
Recipes! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:10 pm
I have no real recipes, but I experiment alot. I'll try to write down the amounts and exact ingredients I use soon. whee  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:44 pm
Totally stealing this recipe off of Post Punk Kitchen, which is a kick a** resource website for vegans, vegetarians and inspiring veg*ns.

Quote:

Equipment:
Baking Sheet, Blender, 2 large bowls, mixing spatula, cookie sheets

Ingredients
3/4 cup canola oil
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla

1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon whole flax seeds
1/2 cup soymilk

2 cups all purp flour
3/4 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F.

Grind the flax seeds on high in a blender until they become a powder. Add soymilk and blend for another 30 seconds or so. Set aside.

In a large bowl sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.

In a seperate large bowl cream together oil and sugar. Add the flax seed/soy milk mixture and mix well. Add the vanilla.

Fold in the dry ingredients in batches. When it starts to get too stiff to mix with a spatula, use your hands until a nice stiff dough forms. Add the chocolate chips and mix with your hands again.

Roll dough into 1 inch balls and flatten into a disc that's about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet about an inch apart.

Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes, then set them on a wire rack to cool completely.

Variations:
For chocolate chocolate chip cherry cookies, replace 1 teaspoon of the vanilla with almond extract, and replace 1/2 the chocolate chips with dried cherries.

For chocolate nut cookies, replace 1 teaspoon of the vanilla with a nut extract (almond, walnut, what have you) and replace the chocolate chips with 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (hazelnuts, almonds or walnuts all are good).  

Astrox

Meldisse

Interesting Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:08 pm
Hey Everyone!

If any of you love/like Japanese food like me... but can't seem to find many dishes that are veggie... Here is a link I hope you all will like.. I know I do heart http://www.recipezaar.com/r/110/70/123/169 My fav is the Green Tea IceCream! Feel free to tell me what you think.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:14 pm
Yay, a recipe thread! I'll have to print these out, they sound pretty good. I had a recipe somewhere that I made in highschool and it was good. But I haven't been able to find it for awhile now. If I happen to find it, I'll make sure to post it here! 3nodding  

Schaala

whitewaterlilly13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:49 pm
VEGAN VERY FILLING BURRITOS

1 Can Refried beans ( or whole beans if you prefer...just make sure they are vegan if they are refried)

2 medium Potatoes ( shreeded/ grated)

Canola oil

Salsa ( optional)

Any kind of veggies you want......

5 tortias ( flour or corn)

Fry up the potatoes like you would for hash browns with salsa. Heat beans. In a skillit heat Canola oil, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Over medium heat, toast each toritia. Flip about 1-2 minutes in, it should be golden brown on each side....

Serve Taco style...

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:33 pm
NOTICE: I do not claim these recipes to be vegan, but I'm sure you can modify them to fix that:

Vegetable Soup:
-olive oil
-2 leeks (cleaned and chopped)
-3 carrots (peeled and chopped)
-3 celery stalks (cleaned and chopped)
-1 medium onion (chopped)
-2 potatoes (peeled and chopped)
-handful greenbeans (cleaned and cut into 1-inch peices)
-1 can stewed tomatoes
-1/2 bag frozen corn
-1/2 bag frozen peas
-1 can cannolini beans (drained and rinsed)
-4 cans vegetable stock
-1-2 teaspoons rosemary
-1-2 teaspoons thyme
-1-2 bay leaves
-black pepper
-white pepper

Put some olive oil in the pot. Set to medium heat. When heated, add onion, leek, celery, and carrot. Cook until soft. Add some stock, the potatoes, greenbeans, and tomatoes (including liquid in can). Cover, let simmer for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are mostly cooked through. Add frozen corn and peas, and cannelini beans. Add more stock if necessary, and add seasonings. Cover again, and cook until temp. of soup comes back to simmer and frozen foods heat through. Add more seasoning to taste. Serves... um... a lot!

---------------------------------------------------
Whole Wheat Garlic Croutons:
-sliced whole wheat bread
-olive oil
-garlic powder
-onion powder
-black pepper
-salt

Cut bread slices into small cubes, or use small cookie-cutters. Place in bowl. Add oil and spices. Toss to coat. Spread in single layer on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 300 degrees about 15 minutes or until croutons brown slightly. Add to veggie soup above or a salad!  

spacekitten

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150

ANGORAPHOBIA

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:32 am
I just found this recipe for dahl enchiladas that sounds AMAZING! As soon as I try it, I'll tell you how it goes and if it went well, I'll post it. (I'm a biiiig fan of culturally confussed cooking. whee heart )  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:49 pm
Okay, so I haven't had the time it makes for the Indian enchiladas, but here's a relatively simple recipe for regular veggie enchiladas that is SO good.

-4 or more 8 - 10" tortillas
-your favorite salsa. (I used medium hot tostitos brand. such a wimp/consumerist. redface )
-shredded cheese or cheese substitute. (Cheddar, Monterey Jack, etc.)
-shredded carrots

Filling:
Any mix of vegetables you like. I used:
-1 medium bell pepper
-1 small-medium zuchinni
-1 small-medium yellow squash (Looks like a yellow zuchinni. Not sure of the acutal name.)
-1 scant cup of sliced mushrooms. (I used baby bellas.)

Cut vegetables as desired, (I like small squares of pepper and short strips of zuchinni/squash.) Saute pepper and zuch/squash on high with a dollop of olive oil until they begin to wilt; add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are also wilted. Add sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and cayenne to taste.

Spoon a small amount of filling and salsa onto one end of a tortilla. Just roll it up, without folding in the ends. Place the filled tortillas inside an appropriately sized pan. (I used an 8"x8" brownie pan, which is perfect for four enchiladas made on 8" tortillas. TIP: line the pan with aluminum foil so you don't have to scrub the pan.)

Once all the pan is filled, spoon some salsa or, if you're not as cheap as I am, actual enchilada sauce over the enchiladas. Sprinkle a layer of cheese and carrot over top. Bake at 350 degrees for about 7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.

NOTE: The sugar and carrots are optional, but they add a little bit of sweet that sets of the spices in the rest of the dish really well. Never use more than a tablespoon of sugar, though. Also, the carrots help cut back on the impulse to use more cheese, and they make the whole thing look a lot cooler. 3nodding But whatever. I take a lot of liberty with my recipes. Never the same thing twice! mrgreen  

ANGORAPHOBIA

Muted Faith9

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:43 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:44 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

collapsiblbunny

ANGORAPHOBIA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:01 am
Before I went veggie, I lurved HotPockets because they were so easy. Amy's brand foods have veggie equivalents, but they're uber-spensive, so here is my easy road to veggie microwave sandwiches.

You need:
pizza or croissant dough (Pizza dough is really easy to make, but you can always use the stuff that comes in poppy-tubes)
any kind filling you want. (I heart steamed vegetables with italian seasoning and a little tomato paste.)

Just portion out the dough (One pizza makes 4 or 5) and press it into circles. Spoon in some of your very own veggie-friendly filling and fold the dough over. Press the edges with a fork to seal and use a sharp knife to score 2 or 3 ventilation holes in the top. Bake at 350F until the dough is that golden-brown yum color. You can either serve them immediately or freeze them and heat them later as a meal! (That's the feature I am totally luffing) If you freeze them, cool them completely first. Put them on a wire rack to cool faster. This will prevent freezer burn.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:24 am
Ultra-excellent Pizza sauce! I got bored Friday and made this by accident!

Olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic (Up to you) crushed or minced
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1-2 T fresh basil, chopped.
1-2 T fresh oregano, chopped.
4-6 T tomato paste
1 fresh tomato, seeded and chopped. (You can also use a generous handful of halved cherry tomatoes)

Coat the bottom of a saucepan with olive oil and add the garlic. Heat over high heat, toasting the garlic. (This makes garlic-infused olive oil. If you like it spicy, add in pepper flakes as well, about 1 T) Add in the chopped onion and brown, stirring constantly. Add in basil and oregano and cook until dark and wilted. Stir in tomato paste and fresh tomato, mixing in evenly.

When you put sauce on your pizza, leave the extra oil in the pan. You can use it to make bruschetta, or you can reserve the sauce, and use the oil to make the pizza dough. (It will be a slightly pink dough.) If you really don't like oily anything, make the infused oil and reserve most of it, adding only as needed. The oil and sauce can keep for up to three days if refrigerated. I have no idea if you can freeze them. Might as well try it, but it could be messy. Anyway, this sauce is so good that even my steak-and-potatoes dad prefered my veggie pizza to a meatball pizza made with canned sauce. Shocking!  

ANGORAPHOBIA

ANGORAPHOBIA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:48 pm
More yummies for j00. Midsummer boredom is in full swing, and so is my garden, so I've been doing MUCHO cookage! Lots of experimentals involving squash... I'll let you know if that ever works out. sweatdrop

Fresh Bruschetta

Ingredients:
- Olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 T fresh basil, chopped
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups tomato, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup black olives, chopped
- ¼ cup mushrooms, chopped
- 3 large dinner rolls

Place some olive oil and the garlic in a cold pan, heating until fully infused, reserving some. Sauté some of the onion and all of the basil until wilted. Add green pepper and sauté briefly. Add tomato and water, stirring constantly until all water is evaporated and tomato is cooked. Reserve tomato mixture.
Saute remaining onions in plain olive oil. Add olives and mushrooms, sautéing until fully cooked. Combine tomato and mushroom mixtures and reserve.
Cut dinner rolls lengthwise into slices approximately ½ inch thick. Place on a baking sheet and toast under a broiler. Remove and flip slices. Brush with ½ reserved garlic-infused olive oil and finish toasting. Brush with remaining oil and let sit until easily handled. Spoon vegetable topping onto the toast and serve immediately.

and even better....

Southwestern Risotto

Ingredients:
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- ½ large bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalepeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- ½ large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 ½ cups water
- mixed spices to taste (Recommended: chili powder, cayenne pepper, paprika and garlic powder as desired. Chili powder is fairly mild, but still lends the “Southwest” flavor, while cayenne adds outright spice. Paprika and garlic powder make the dish warm and savory without affecting the “hot factor.”)
- 2 ½ cups cooked rice (An easy way to use up leftovers.)
- ½ cup refried beans (optional)

Saute the onion and peppers until slightly softened. Combine vegetable stock, water and spices in a large mixing bowl. Add rice and beans to pan, pouring in approximately ¼ of the liquids. Add in the tomato and stir constantly until most of the liquid is absorbed. Add remaining liquid as the rice absorbs it, stirring constantly so that little sticks to the bottom of the pan. When finished, the tomato should be fully cooked; if not, add ½ cup of water, cover, and let simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, again making sure that all liquid is absorbed.

More to come! (oh dear... sweatdrop )  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:56 pm
I didn't measure things properly, just threw some things together and came out with a yummy and healthy cookie type things and wanted to share:

-about 2 cups oatmeal, softened with boiling water but not properly cooked through
-about 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
-1 large banana
-Splenda and honey (optional, feel free to replace with anything sweet that you like)
-About a half teaspoon or so cinnamon
-about a half teaspoon vanilla
-2-3 tablespoons Wondra flour (feel free to replace with whatever flour you like)

Basically, mix the oatmeal and banana together. Add the applesauce. Sweeten and add te cinnamon and vanilla. Mix thoroughly. Add however much flour you need to thicken the consistency so it's a cookie consistency batter. The more oatmeal you use, the less flour you need. Put on a cookie baking thing sprayed with cooking spray (or whatever you have, but I wouldn't suggest a cake pan, because the banana doesnt let it get completly dry on the inside, and the thicker it is, the longer it'll take to bake) and bake at abou 360 until its all golden and not totally mushy inside (poke it with a stick to check). It's really yummy, and has practically no sugar or fat the way I made it. mwahaha, sucess at last!  

Cassandra022

.Blasphemous.Vaseline.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:01 pm
for all my vegan brothers and sisters, Rice pudding that tastes soooo good. I made it last night biggrin

Creamy Dairyless Rice Pudding

~4 cups of water
~3/4 cups white rice (basmati preferably, but plain long grain rice is ok too)
~4 cups soy milk (reduced fat preferably, but regular and vanilla soy milk works just as well)
~1/2 cup pure maple syrup
~1 tsp ground cinnamon
~1 tsp pure vanilla extract
~1/4 cup raisins or currants
~1 tsp freshly grated lemon peel (I usually make it without and its just as good)
~ seasonal sliced fruit to top (optional as well, but strawberries or peaches are great with it)

bring the water to a boil in a heavy saucepan. add the rice and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 more minutes. Drain the rice and return it to the pan with the soy milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, raisins, and lemon peel. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gentley for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring often, until the pudding is think and creamy. Serve warm or chil for at least 2 hours or overnight. Garnesh with fress fruit if you wish.

Serves 4 - 6
takes about 1 hour to prepare.

PM me for the nutritional facts if you want them. Enjoy! biggrin  
Recipes & Cooking Tips

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out