Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
When the student is ready...? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

quantum_leaper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:45 am
TeaDidikai
reagun ban
At the risk of sounding presumptious, I think it's for her own good. And I've never forbidden her from going, for it's quite clearly not my place, I've just strongly advised she not go.
~quietly wonders if she would survive a room full of Reaguns... shudder~ twisted

But he's really a pusscat......

Miss Magpie,

I do believe its possible we have met IRL,I am the guy Reagun tags along with to the moots
wink

Also i wrote the article for the January moot and did the opening for the febuaray one.

bluewolfcub...

Wonderful thing this free will thing.... wink  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:02 pm
quantum_leaper

xd
Quote:
Miss Magpie,

I do believe its possible we have met IRL,I am the guy Reagun tags along with to the moots
wink

Oooh! I know you! You're funky! And I have a pretty candle! Have a cookie! I baked them myself! Though they probably won't last until next thursday...
Yay too many exclamation marks! I'm all hyper because I recently got back my copy of The Golden Bough and had forgotten how fantastic it is! I should probably run away now to read it as I have gone completely off topic... If there even was one. *checks thread* Oh yeah! The teaching one. On that note I'm thoroughly bummed that I'm missing that Tarot class. Damn illness keeping me away. stare  

Pelta

quantum_leaper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:58 pm
missmagpie
quantum_leaper

xd
Quote:
Miss Magpie,

wink

Oooh! I know you! You're funky! And I have a pretty candle! Have a cookie! I baked them myself! Though they probably won't last until next thursday...
Yay too many exclamation marks! I'm all hyper because I recently got back my copy of The Golden Bough and had forgotten how fantastic it is! I should probably run away now to read it as I have gone completely off topic... If there even was one. *checks thread* Oh yeah! The teaching one. On that note I'm thoroughly bummed that I'm missing that Tarot class. Damn illness keeping me away. stare

You know i don't think i've ever had the word "funky" applied to me... smile

The whole last opening thing....just so you know that very much last second planning, i didnt have clue what i was doing!

Hope you feel better.
Your in the tarot class?
Ok i am drawing a blank here on who you are..

Whats a Golden bough?

On the actuall topic it occurs to me,

I think what happens a lot of time that fluffies who have potential usually wind up with a teacher to kinda keep them on right path for them. Or perhaps someone who doesnt have a starting point to work with and can't seem to find their feet. Or needs someone to put the reigns on them...

Personally i have wondered about the whole mentor thing and I think maybe at one point i would've liked to be taken under someones wing and shown a few things or more accuratley had a few things explained.

I dont think everyone needs a personal teacher, i think people need other people to learn from but not everyone needs the Teacher/Pupil thing as i undertstand it and have seen.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:30 am
quantum_leaper
missmagpie

You know i don't think i've ever had the word "funky" applied to me... smile

The whole last opening thing....just so you know that very much last second planning, i didnt have clue what i was doing!
Oh I could tell. But usually the last minute ones are the nicest and most interesting. Like Reagun's the month before. And like various other ones that have had to be spontaneously put together because the person who was meant to do them didn't show up... Creative spontaneity often produces the best results. And I liked your candle thing.

Quote:
Hope you feel better.
Your in the tarot class?
Ok i am drawing a blank here on who you are..
Teehee you don't know who I am! I could lord this over you... But I won't. Remember when you were a super-nerdy jedi knight along with Reagun? I was the jester who couldn't juggle very well. wink
And I'm not in the Tarot class because I've currently got Glandular Fever. I really wanted to go though. And I shouldn't have been going to the past few moots but I did anyway.

Quote:
Whats a Golden bough?
The Golden Bough By Sir James Frazer is one of the most fantastic books of anthropology available. It is totally fascinating and worth a read by any discerning pagan. Or by anyone for that matter. It's just an amazing book.

Quote:
On the actuall topic...
oh yeah... that... sweatdrop

Quote:
Personally i have wondered about the whole mentor thing and I think maybe at one point i would've liked to be taken under someones wing and shown a few things or more accuratley had a few things explained.

I dont think everyone needs a personal teacher, i think people need other people to learn from but not everyone needs the Teacher/Pupil thing as i undertstand it and have seen.
I think everyone needs a teacher at some point. Whether that teacher is yourself or someone else, a book or a person, a spirit or a corporeal being, everyone needs to learn from someone. It does help if there's somebody more experienced to guide you and it makes things a lot faster and easier. Not to mention that for some traditions a mentor within the tradition is practically essential.  

Pelta

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:57 am
quantum_leaper

So's a rabid lynx. Your point is? wink

missmagpie
I think everyone needs a teacher at some point. Whether that teacher is yourself or someone else, a book or a person, a spirit or a corporeal being, everyone needs to learn from someone.
I contest the assertion that a book can count as a "Teacher". There's a reason text book salesmen are not charged with Human Trafficing.

I also contest that one can be one's own teacher within the context of a spiritual path on the grounds that to teach is to know and reveal an understanding to a student. An individual can notice things and thus learn, but that does not make one a teacher.

Quote:
It does help if there's somebody more experienced to guide you and it makes things a lot faster and easier. Not to mention that for some traditions a mentor within the tradition is practically essential.

That's another thread. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:41 am
Miss magpie,

Got ya now!.

I thought it was you alright but i was thrown when you mentions the tarot class. It makes sense.

I think people will learn a lot faster and better from other people.

I would tend to agree there is only so far you can go with books...  

quantum_leaper

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:59 am
TeaDidikai
quantum_leaper

I prefer to think of myself as a canine than a feline. Cats don't show up in either my Native American totem (as read by a medicine woman in dublin while she was over {Chippua (sp?) tribe somewhere) or in my Celtic one (as read by a fellow Aes Denai)  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:07 am
TeaDidikai
I contest the assertion that a book can count as a "Teacher". There's a reason text book salesmen are not charged with Human Trafficing.
whee I'm afraid I may have to descend into semantics here...
www.m-w.com

teach
1 a : to cause to know something b : to cause to know how c : to accustom to some action or attitude d : to cause to know the disagreeable consequences of some action
2 : to guide the studies of
3 : to impart the knowledge of
4 a : to instruct by precept, example, or experience b : to make known and accepted
5 : to conduct instruction regularly in
By the first definition, a teacher can be someone/thing that 'causes to know something.' I can be 'caused to know something' by a book, so why can't a book be a teacher? A history textbook can guide my studies of history, so can't it also teach me? It would also impart knowledge of history to me, so the third definition checks out too. Throughout the definition it doesn't say that the one doing the teaching has to be human...

Quote:
I also contest that one can be one's own teacher within the context of a spiritual path on the grounds that to teach is to know and reveal an understanding to a student. An individual can notice things and thus learn, but that does not make one a teacher.
I see your point there. So saying that one can be one's own teacher is a misnomer. Unless you subscribe to Crowley's thoughts that within each person is an immortal link to divinity which has access to all spiritual knowledge, in which case learning from this entity would be like teaching yourself... but that's a bit of a far stretch so I'll concede to you on this one. biggrin  

Pelta

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:10 am
missmagpie
Unless you subscribe to Crowley's thoughts that within each person is an immortal link to divinity which has access to all spiritual knowledge, in which case learning from this entity would be like teaching yourself...

Urm... not really, it's the entity teaching you.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:41 am
reagun ban
TeaDidikai
quantum_leaper

I prefer to think of myself as a canine than a feline. Cats don't show up in either my Native American totem (as read by a medicine woman in dublin while she was over {Chippua (sp?) tribe somewhere) or in my Celtic one (as read by a fellow Aes Denai)

I'll remember that.

Maggi>> I note you quoted the word Teach- not Teacher. If you want to get into a round of hair splitting, I'll match you point for point.  

TeaDidikai

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:13 am
reagun ban
missmagpie
Unless you subscribe to Crowley's thoughts that within each person is an immortal link to divinity which has access to all spiritual knowledge, in which case learning from this entity would be like teaching yourself...

Urm... not really, it's the entity teaching you.
Yeah but the entity is considered the higher 'Self' in some cases, in which case it's yourself teaching you... But then it all gets ridiculously complicated and it's not even a belief I subscribe to, which is why I conceded the point.

Tea, I quoted the word 'teach' because the definition of 'teacher' was 'one who teaches,' so I thought using the former word was more useful. Tbh I don't particularly want to get into a round of hair-splitting. It's a bit silly for me to descend into semantics in the first place. Would you say though, that if an author of a book was a teacher and divulged his information in the book, could you not say that you could learn the same things from a book that you could from a teacher? This might not make a book a 'teacher' as such, but would be the same for all intents and purposes.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:16 am
on semantics.overload() wing.goCrazier();  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:32 am
reagun ban
on semantics.overload() wing.goCrazier();
OH NO!! Run for cover!! HE COULD BLOW ANY MINUTE! xp

i'm sowwy. Never meant to make poor wing go splodey. sad  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:44 am
No Maggie, I wouldn't say that.

(Semantics: the One in which you speak of for Teacher is a lingustical reference to a person. A book is not a person).

Furthermore- books do not accept personal responsability for those who read it. The Teacher Student relationship is a dynamic but exacting thing, and I will not agree that something without a personality unto itself can hold such a dynamic exchange of energy with the student.  

TeaDidikai

xsparkledovex

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:59 am
While we're at it let's argue the definition of computer too

Hey jc, free...will? neutral xd  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items