Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Finally time to let you know: Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

-kissME-1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:57 am
wicked_faery if your going to take on a group of people who spend their time studying different religions, and all the different aspects of them, and people who actually have degrees in certian religions, I suggest you do your research AND type properly. These people are literate, smart and know what they're talking about. Arguing with them over typing shorthand is useless, arguing with them over anything is useless if you don't have a 30 page thesis. If you can't back it up don't say it, you'll get ripped apart. I know I have been. Thanks to these people I've learned to do my homework (And look things up at an amazing rate.) and above all else admit defete and go do my homework.

Thanks guys I'm actually doing my dedication soon and beginning my studies for my first degree.

As for the topic, I was writing somthing but I'd like to finish it and fine tune it before anyone else even reads it let alone puts it anywhere.

Note: I reread this after I posted and had to laugh at my own spelling and putting words in the wrong places. Oh and excuse that my name piled up a bit but I seem to be the only night person in this guild  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:16 am
just so y'all know, wicked_faery isn't a member here anymore. She un'subed herself.  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:19 am
Nuri
just so y'all know, wicked_faery isn't a member here anymore. She un'subed herself.
~divorces the conversation from the member to speak in generalizations~ Would you consider such actions to be an example of the kind of thing people talk about when the term Fluffy is used?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:28 am
TeaDidikai
Nuri
~divorces the conversation from the member to speak in generalizations~ Would you consider such actions to be an example of the kind of thing people talk about when the term Fluffy is used?

The idea of a teenager stomping off in a huff comes to mind. Slam the door and cry for a while, then come back downstairs in time to get fed dinner. Yes i believe the term fluffy is applicable here. That and teenage melodrama.  

Pelta

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:35 am
missmagpie
TeaDidikai
Nuri

The idea of a teenager stomping off in a huff comes to mind. Slam the door and cry for a while, then come back downstairs in time to get fed dinner. Yes i believe the term fluffy is applicable here. That and teenage melodrama.
Well, to her credit, she didn't make an "I'm leaving you ebil pegus!" thread.

Not sure I would go as far as melodrama.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:30 am
TeaDidikai
missmagpie
TeaDidikai
Nuri

Point taken. Though I wouldn't be surprised if she went to one of the fluffier forums and started an "ebil pegus" thread there. But let's not talk about that. No point in making accusations until things actually happen.
I would say though that her behaviour constitutes what one would describe as "fluffy." Actually, it would be rather useful if someone could create a broad outline or definition of 'fluffy.' Because it's really such a vague term. But then again, I'm sure none of us would be able agree on one if it were presented. wink  

Pelta

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:35 am
missmagpie
TeaDidikai
missmagpie
TeaDidikai
Nuri

Point taken. Though I wouldn't be surprised if she went to one of the fluffier forums and started an "ebil pegus" thread there. But let's not talk about that. No point in making accusations until things actually happen.
I would say though that her behaviour constitutes what one would describe as "fluffy." Actually, it would be rather useful if someone could create a broad outline or definition of 'fluffy.' Because it's really such a vague term. But then again, I'm sure none of us would be able agree on one if it were presented. wink
It's been done. whee  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:33 am
TeaDidikai
missmagpie
TeaDidikai
missmagpie
TeaDidikai
Nuri

It's been done. whee

Ah. Thanks! blaugh  

Pelta

Saint Judas Iscariot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:35 am
missmagpie
TeaDidikai
missmagpie
TeaDidikai
Nuri

I'm not sure that I could even agree myself upon a proper definition. For example, in some cases I feel that anyone practicing a religion that their only knowledge of consists of reading one book (or less) they are fluffy. However, I know that sometimes even with very little knowledge of something, that religion just "feels right." Especially when one believes in reincarnation it's hard to rule out other influence behind religious selection.

The biggest thing to note about fluffies is that many times they read a little bit, become a "Wiccan/Buddhist/Pagan/Ceremonial Mage/Pumpkin/Whatever" and suddenly find the need to throw it in everyone's face. You know - letting the pentagram slip out at church. Saying "Oh my Goddess" all the time but only around A: Your parents and B: The other people of your religion you want to impress.

I've always believed that religion is mostly internal. I really only discuss my personal religious beliefs A: On forums dedicated to such, or B: When asked directly by someone trustworthy. Don't get me wrong, I'll tell people what I'm researching presently, and my broad beliefs concerning reincarnation and karma. I don't scoff when my friends talk about God. I nod, and let it pass. I don't try to force convert anyone. I don't scratch off the GOD from "In God we Trust" on the back of dollars (*cough*Penn Gilette*cough*) I do wear symbols that mean something to me. Generally, though, I keep them on a long chain around my neck. I can FEEL it on my chest, and the wait of it reminds me of the beliefs I claim to. But no one else sees it. It is not a trinket. It's a physical reminder for me to do what is proper as per my belief system.

My beliefs are my business, and other's belief's are their own business, until they specifically ask me for spiritual guidance. That, to me, is part of being not fluffy.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
I quite like the definition of fluffiness in the thread linked to above in Teadidikai's post as "Willful ignorance." Things like pretending the world is all cheese and crackers (or whatever they want it to be) and everything's all good and happy ("I only do *white* magyck. Everything else is either bad or doesn't exist") and completely refusing to see the darker side of things, all fall into that catagory. As does being overly vocal about your beliefs just to get attention. Does any really well-informed believer of any religion do it to that extent? Another common trait of fluffiness is being really damn condescending. I call it the "snob syndrome." Tweenies read a page of SilverRavenWolf, think they're sisters to any/all goddesses they choose and self-initiated high priestesses, and then take every opportunity to lord it over everybody else. That's a lot of what i think goes in to being fluffy. But then, it all comes under the rather nice heading of "willful ignorance," as suggested in the linked thread.  

Pelta

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:07 pm
I think Starlock had a good point that most people are willfully ignorant about something. Which is why I like the second part of the definition we have there.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:09 pm
TeaDidikai
I think Starlock had a good point that most people are willfully ignorant about something. Which is why I like the second part of the definition we have there.

Sorry, which second part was that? Not being confrontational or anything - I think i may have just missed it when reading through the thread. Was it the bit on uniterest in accuracy, or how fluffies tend to sterilize the pagan path to make it more in keeping with their light and loving view of the world? I'd think it'd be more the latter...
Maybe the definition should be on a banner posted somewhere in a place of prominence. This is a rehab guild, after all. smile  

Pelta

Saint Judas Iscariot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:32 pm
missmagpie
I quite like the definition of fluffiness in the thread linked to above in Teadidikai's post as "Willful ignorance." Things like pretending the world is all cheese and crackers (or whatever they want it to be) and everything's all good and happy ("I only do *white* magyck. Everything else is either bad or doesn't exist") and completely refusing to see the darker side of things, all fall into that catagory. As does being overly vocal about your beliefs just to get attention. Does any really well-informed believer of any religion do it to that extent? Another common trait of fluffiness is being really damn condescending. I call it the "snob syndrome." Tweenies read a page of SilverRavenWolf, think they're sisters to any/all goddesses they choose and self-initiated high priestesses, and then take every opportunity to lord it over everybody else. That's a lot of what i think goes in to being fluffy. But then, it all comes under the rather nice heading of "willful ignorance," as suggested in the linked thread.

Fluffies hate Ceremonial Magic. "You tried to summon a demon??? Willingly???!!!"

And honestly, reading a Ravenwolf book and thinking you are sisters to a Goddess is like reading a book on the French language and thinking that that gives you the right to not only be a French citizen but the Queen of France. Gag me with a stick somebody!

Wait! That reminds me of some Tweenie girl who I overheard at the mall one friday night saying "Lyk, Gag me with a wand!"

*Points up* THAT is fluffy. Although I think that almost anyone who claims to be Pagan, and dresses up in black on friday nights and heads to the mall with pentagrams emblazened on their clothing is fluffy. (I said ALMOST, I've met one or two exceptions, expecially in malls with occult book stores that have Cermonies and the like)

I've heard some say that those that like Harry Potter and are Pagan are fluffy. I *love* Harry Potter. But I realize it's fictitious. I don't want to live in Harry Potter. The ones that take Harry Potter to excess and think that if they can just get that love spell down they could go to Hogwarts... that's fluffy.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:41 pm
Judas Gabriel
Fluffies hate Ceremonial Magic. "You tried to summon a demon??? Willingly???!!!"
I've met fluffy CM'ers. It's... disturbing.
Quote:

*Points up* THAT is fluffy. Although I think that almost anyone who claims to be Pagan, and dresses up in black on friday nights and heads to the mall with pentagrams emblazened on their clothing is fluffy. (I said ALMOST, I've met one or two exceptions, expecially in malls with occult book stores that have Cermonies and the like)
Too broad a brush for my liking. Goth night at Jakes is the only good music in the clubs. It's on Friday and I have to be able to wear my costume jewelry (my pent) some time after all.

missmagpie

Sorry, which second part was that? Not being confrontational or anything - I think i may have just missed it when reading through the thread. Was it the bit on uniterest in accuracy, or how fluffies tend to sterilize the pagan path to make it more in keeping with their light and loving view of the world? I'd think it'd be more the latter...
Maybe the definition should be on a banner posted somewhere in a place of prominence. This is a rehab guild, after all. smile

Good idea.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas