Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

stabbyfairy

3,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:15 am
I read Eric first when I was 9 (I think), and I've loved them ever since! It's interesting to think that, when I was younger, I missed out on so many references simply because of how young I was, but I still enjoyed them.
The only ones I didn't like so much were Moving Pictures and Small Gods, although that one's grown on me a bit. I can't really say who my favourite character is, because there are just so many good ones. I have to disagree about Thud! though. I think Pratchett just got fed up with always having to have the dwarves and the trolls hate each other, and decided to shift the situation a bit. After so many books, I think he has to change the world in small ways, like with the real world, or it'd get stale.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:36 pm
Well, I liked the secret alliance bit, but I revile the Sally the vampire bits and the constant references to the board game (there's a real THUD! discworld board game out there, one which came out before the novel.)

I can see what he was trying to do, I think, but he didn't do it well. I think the same thing happen in Moving Pictures. Some great ideas got sifted out for later use (like Gaspode the Wonder Dog) but, over-all, it kinda fell flat. It didn't seem to share the same inner philosophy of a lot of his other books either.

Now, I'd really like to see more Tiffany Aching books. Pratchett mentioned in one of the illustrated discworld books that he might write two more Tiffany books, the last one of which he was thinking of calling "I shall Wear Midnight." I've liked the Tiffany books very much so far.  

Harbone

stabbyfairy

3,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:13 am
Yeah, I knew about the board game because my former English teacher bought one (she's even more rabid a fan than anyone else I've ever met), but I didn't think that book was based around the game too much. I didn't really like Sally too much, either, but I managed not to let her get to me. I like how when Vimes went crazy he did the whole 'Where's My Cow?' thing. Aaah, yes.
I would love to see more Tiffany books, although I'd like it for her to end up after them as a regular in the series, or something. I know Pratchett was planning to kill off Granny Weatherwax some time, 'cos he said he didn't think there was anywhere else she could go, so maybe she'll end up with the Lancre witches... Eh, pointless speculation on my part. I can't wait for another Science of Discworld. They're really quite fascinating.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:51 pm
Yes. I think Granny Weatherwax does need to pass on at some time, myself. Cervantes did that with Don Quixote, too. It's not such a bad idea, to retire old characters. Death is part of who we are and any character as beloved as Granny Weatherwax deserves a chance for us fans to say "goodbye."

(Please note that I adore Granny Weatherwax. She's one of my favorites and a character I often strongly identify with! But... you know, things need to end. I really liked Light Fantastic for a long time because it seemed like such a great ending to the Twoflower/Rincewind duo. I mean, I liked Interesting Times, but I would have been fine with Light Fantastic as the last time I saw the two together.)

Also, I'd like to see more of a few wayside characters if Pratchett gets to continue writing. Like Mightily Oats or Dr. Mossy Lawn. I really wanted to find out more about those fellows, like seeing Mightily Oats preaching the faith of Om to vampires and werewolves. That would have been great!  

Harbone

Shaunie007

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:34 am
stabbyfairy
I read Eric first when I was 9 (I think), and I've loved them ever since! It's interesting to think that, when I was younger, I missed out on so many references simply because of how young I was, but I still enjoyed them.
The only ones I didn't like so much were Moving Pictures and Small Gods, although that one's grown on me a bit. I can't really say who my favourite character is, because there are just so many good ones. I have to disagree about Thud! though. I think Pratchett just got fed up with always having to have the dwarves and the trolls hate each other, and decided to shift the situation a bit. After so many books, I think he has to change the world in small ways, like with the real world, or it'd get stale.

Eh, you didn't like small gods? Aw I thought that book was so deep in a way... and funny mind you.
On A diffrent matter i said i didn't like susans parents too much because I don't like too "normal" people as the main characters... but I was sad when they died all the same.  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:21 pm
I've only read a few in the series... the first one was Theif of Time.
Susan has gotta be one of my favorite characters, just for the way that she asserts herself, and because Death's horse is named Binky xd

I'm going to read many more of those books over teh summer. I can't wait! blaugh  

Yashsa

Harbone

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:43 pm
Oh goody. I always like hearing there's a new generation of fans for something I'm interested in evolving. I wonder what insights you'll garner that I never could.

Hogfather is worth reading if you like Susan asserting herself and MORT kinda starts the whole Death cycle of books, giving you insight into Susan's parents and Death's motivations a little more (he's grandfatherly, that's true, but he never does anything for one reason alone.)  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:42 pm
i am in the middle of reading my first pratchett book (gaurds gaurds) and i am almost done with it. my boyfriend told me the only way he would read my Riftwar Saga (by feist) was if i read a terry pratchett book for every book he read. i agreed (obviously) and i was wondering what i should ask him for next, any opinions on exceptionally good pratchett books?  

haelia

Shanti~dragongirl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:39 pm
lavenvi05
Shanti~dragongirl
my dad is a major fan and i've read a lot myself but i prefer the DEATH and witch ones but i also like Monstrous Regiment
I haven't read that much of the disc world books, but I already love the witch and Death books. Hey, have you read his first book "The color of magic"?

yeah I've read it, I've read most of them actually.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:11 pm
i've only read four, i think . Thief of Time was really good  

trisana chandler 92

El Laberinto del Fauno

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:44 pm
I love the diskworld novels very few books ive ever found that are as hilarious as them they keep me laughing from start to beginning  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:27 pm
I can't wait till wintersmith comes out in paper back!  

Shanti~dragongirl

haelia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:00 pm
question (two things, i dunno if this has been addressed already, i didn't read all the replys, and second, correct me if i am wrong, please)

isn't it Discworld?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:57 pm
neutral hmmm...goes to check...yes it is! rofl I don't think anyone noticed that before!  

Shanti~dragongirl

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:59 pm
Shanti~dragongirl
neutral hmmm...goes to check...yes it is! rofl I don't think anyone noticed that before!

Yeah, they have. But the thread creator isn't here (and doesn't come here anymore, I think) to change it, and I don't like to change threads without the creator's permission. So it'll just have to stay that way.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff