Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cherub and Friends Art Guild

Back to Guilds

In this guild you may post your art for all to see, get tips on improving your work, and enter our monthly contests! 

Tags: anime, drawings, avatar, manga, shop 

Reply Contest
Art Style Contest ( Contest is over ) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

univers-m

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:02 pm
Shuuchi
univers-m
Salvador Dali is a (very famous) great example of surrealism

temptation of st anthony
the persistance of memory

BTW:
copying doesn't seem fair at all! :< referencing should be allowed only. copying is a completely different skill from realism, it relies on hand-eye coordination only, no prior knowledge or skill with realism. :<

copying = good practice, not creating unique art

exactly. :V you said that much easier than i did  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:06 am
Shuuchi-kun has a way with words. ^^  

Pandiecakes
Captain

Timid Healer

14,400 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Millionaire 200

Pandiecakes
Captain

Timid Healer

14,400 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:33 am
Six more days, everyone!

Perhaps it would be a good idea to extend this contest until the end of the month if Circus Freaks doesn't mind.

She was supposed to have a Horoscope contest soon. I don't even know if she still wants to.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:44 am
univers-m
Salvador Dali is a (very famous) great example of surrealism

temptation of st anthony
the persistance of memory

BTW:
copying doesn't seem fair at all! :< referencing should be allowed only. copying is a completely different skill from realism, it relies on hand-eye coordination only, no prior knowledge or skill with realism. :<

here's my view on it: i took the photo right? and photography IS an art; so it's not like i'm copying someone else's art. Also with photos, it's the same thing as if i position myself correctly and draw the scene from there, the photo just allows me to not have to stay there and draw it immediately.
and third off ... i'm kinda just basing the drawing on it, it's, sorta a reference but since i'm drawing the same scene(ish)...

now for the sake of argument,
personally, i wouldn't say that copying just relies on hand-eye coordination. it still requires that skill to be able to mimic the same style, and to notice details and stuff.

though i do agree with shuuchi's statement :3

------------------

photo

User Image

and yes, i do have issues with blending with color pencils; probably doesnt help that i was lacking an orange and was using RoseArt brand >___>"  

bloodwitch

Edgiest Mage

univers-m

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:15 am
it's actually.. nothing like sitting there and drawing the scene. >.> converting 3-D to 2-D and 2-D to 2-D are worlds of different.

i know it's your own art your copying, but that's not the problem.. the problem is that copying is such a different skill. if you think about it, all it takes to copy something is a lot of time and ANYONE can do an excellent job. when you sit down at that same scene and draw you'll find it's a LOT harder. :3

i'm not trying to give you trouble though, i'm sorry if it seems that way, just trying to make a point :s  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:44 am
That drawing came out beautifully, Bloodwitch! ^^ heart  

Pandiecakes
Captain

Timid Healer

14,400 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Millionaire 200

RzDz
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:36 am
Everyone plz note which style you pick , bloodwitch so u went with realism ? Actually it looks a lot like expressionism but its up to you  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:37 am
Pandiecakes
Six more days, everyone!

Perhaps it would be a good idea to extend this contest until the end of the month if Circus Freaks doesn't mind.

She was supposed to have a Horoscope contest soon. I don't even know if she still wants to.

No its ok . We host contests without brakes so lets just move on  

RzDz
Vice Captain

bloodwitch

Edgiest Mage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:58 am
univers-m
it's actually.. nothing like sitting there and drawing the scene. >.> converting 3-D to 2-D and 2-D to 2-D are worlds of different.

i know it's your own art your copying, but that's not the problem.. the problem is that copying is such a different skill. if you think about it, all it takes to copy something is a lot of time and ANYONE can do an excellent job. when you sit down at that same scene and draw you'll find it's a LOT harder. :3

i'm not trying to give you trouble though, i'm sorry if it seems that way, just trying to make a point :s

lol; i dont think you're giving me trouble
hnn... you do have a bout about the 3d-2d thing; i just dont have the time to hang around campus and draw most of the time... -sighs-, which was actually why i had the photo...
but i did ask rzdz if i could base it off the photo b/c i wasn't sure -shrugs-

@pandie: aww thanks >////////< color pencils are not my strong point

@rzdz: o__O i'm not sure how it would fit into expressionism, b/c i didnt really depict an emotion (that i can see), so yeah, my attempt at realism  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:09 pm
bloodwitch
univers-m

hnn... you do have a bout about the 3d-2d thing; i just dont have the time to hang around campus and draw most of the time... -sighs-, which was actually why i had the photo...

@rzdz: o__O i'm not sure how it would fit into expressionism, b/c i didnt really depict an emotion (that i can see), so yeah, my attempt at realism

expressionism means emotion in the way you draw , i feel that you personalized picture rather than tried to depict nature

Van Gogh for example drew real things but not in realistic way which means that his art is infulanced by emotion  

RzDz
Vice Captain

bloodwitch

Edgiest Mage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:03 pm
RzDz
bloodwitch
univers-m

expressionism means emotion in the way you draw , i feel that you personalized picture rather than tried to depict nature

Van Gogh for example drew real things but not in realistic way which means that his art is infulanced by emotion

sweatdrop i always personalize my drawings o___O  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:07 am
So i tried to make primitivism first but it looks more expressionism now.
Made all in smudge and brush tool.

User Image  

Hardrock_Cafe

Aged Smoker

8,400 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100

I_EmptyRain_I

Gracious Phantom

7,300 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100