Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply The White Tomb [Archives]
Herbology (Closed) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

techpriest35
Crew

Dangerous Mage

13,790 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:06 am

"that is a good point kamilia they most likely had to wait till the molting point of a dragons life when they shed the scales and then get new tougher layers of leather like substance but more durable but not as strong as diamonds that might be the only way its possible"

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:10 pm
(( Announcement: I may not be able to answer any in-class questions anymore because I've plans to travel out of the country this month, and only have time to post assignments. If you're confused about any of the lessons/assignments I post in the future, please PM me about it instead of posting it in the classroom, I'll be able to answer quicker that way. But feel free to continue discussing other in-class curiosities among the other students if you wish to. ))  

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:14 pm
Midterm Quiz!
Due: 05.15.10
All midterm assignments should be turned in via PM.
Worth 10 points.

- Herbology I -

1. When re-potting any kind of plant, what items should you have with you besides the plant?

2. Describe the look of the Devil's Snare in your own words.

3. What sort of location would a Devil's Snare prefer?

4. Devil's Snare highly reactive to what?

5. In the wild, the above mentioned mechanism provides a fantastic defense against what?

- Herbology II -

1. Hearing a fully grown mandrake's scream will do what to you?

2. What should you always wear when handling mandrakes?

3. Describe what a young mandrake looks like in your own words.

4. Ditany (White) is more commonly found around which locations?

5. Describe the look of white dittany & cretan dittany.

- Herbology III -

1. You should take care when handling puffapod beans. Why?

2. Describe the look of the fully grown puffapod & its beans in your own words.

3. How does one go about harvesting the beans from the puffapod?

4. What kind of location should you not grow geraniums in?

5. Fanged Geraniums bite with what part of their anatomy?

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:15 pm
Lesson 3
Due: 05.16.10

- Herbology I -
Watering Daisies

"Time to tend to your daisy! We seem to have hit a dry spell over the past few days, so the daisies could use some watering. I put the student potted daisies over there," she points in the direction of the labeled pots in which each daisy sits comfortably swaying, though not as energetically as before, "You may notice a change in your daisy's nature from before, which is completely normal I assure you. Daisy's are not naturally mobile; what you are seeing now is actually a side effect from growing in their former location. Before you students re-potted the daisies, these plants were growing in a mooncalf dung fertilized soil. Mooncalf dung, which is a silvery colour, is very good for making plants grow well if it's collected before the sun comes up; if used properly, it's super effective on magical plants which will grow much faster and stronger when fertilized by it. If used on mundane plants, this dung may or may not produce magical side effects, depending on the plant. In the case of the daisy, there is a side effect of movement and a sensitivity to touch."

"Due to the magical side effects it produces, there is a superstition that the effected plant becomes more effective when used in potion-making. Whether this superstition has merit, however, is anyone's guess as witches and wizards today continue to argue over this idea. Whether you believe in it or not, these side effects are still interesting to ornamental gardeners who just want to make their gardens look interesting. But I digress!"

"Today, instead of using a water can, I want you to try to water your daisy using the charm, Aguamenti. The charm conjures a jet of clear pure water to be released from your wand. It can be a little tricky to handle though if you've never done it before, as it requires concentration to maintain the water pressure the way you want it. So don't be discouraged if you're not able to to it properly during class today, I have spare watering cans in the corner if you're unable to do it. But the important thing today is that you try to do this charm at least once during class. Try practicing it in the air first, as we don't want to scare the daisies. Watch me now."

The professor holds up her wand at the ready, pointing at an imaginary target towards the ceiling, "Use the swish & flick movement, and... Aguamenti!" Following her own instructions, she conjures a jet of water from her wand that fountains across the greenhouse to some plants who happily bask in the water spray, and holds the wand steady. Then the jet lowers in water pressure, only able to splash the ground. "When you've mastered this charm, you'll be able to control the water jet like so," the water jet strengthens and weakens accordingly as the professor aims at different plants in the room over the students heads. "It's important to keep the wand steady as the water jets forth, or else you may splash something you didn't intend to," she suddenly relaxes her hand, causing the jet to almost hit a student, before quickly reflexing the jet back into the direction of the plants, "See?" xp

"Right then, collect your potted daisy, and give Aguamenti a go. Remember it's not the end of the world if you can't do it properly today. That's what practicing is for. Once your plant is watered, place it on my desk, and you're free to go."

-- Casting Aguamenti Instructions --

To attempt the spell, roll one 20-sided die using the Post Action when role-playing the casting. Get a 20 to make a successful casting.

- Herbology II -
Leaping Toadstools

As the students take their seats, they take notice of a large trough full of soil sitting atop Professor Juni's desk, and atop the soil sit quite a few fat wiggling red capped mushrooms. As the last student walks in through the door, the Professor pipes up, "Close the door please, shut it tight would you? We've got some wanderers in the room today."

"In this trough I have some toadstools. Oh, and just so we're clear, toadstools are not plants. No, they're not fungi either, but that's a much closer answer. Actually, toadstools (and mushrooms) are a specific part of fungi. They are the fruiting bodies also known as sporocarps. These are the structures that produce the spores needed for the fungi to reproduce. The rest of the fungal body is below the toadstools in the soil.

"However, unlike most other toadstools that stay attached to the fungus, these ones are a little more--" She SLAMS the table suddenly, causing every toadstool to leap off the trough and start bouncing around the room, "--jumpy! Here's your assignment for today! Grab a bucket from my desk, and catch 5 of these toadstools to place in your bucket." Professor Juni ducks to dodge one of the jumping mushrooms as it bounces off a wall, "Use whatever means necessary to catch them, but do not harm them. Once you grab one, it's likely to try to jump away again, so just slap it on the top of the cap. That'll stun it back into a dormant state. Once you've got 5, bring it to me and you're done for today! Ok, go!"

-- Catching Leaping Toadstools Instructions --

To successfully catch a toadstool, roll one 20-sided die using the Post Action while role-playing the attempt. Roll a 15-20 to make a successful catch.

- Herbology III -
Venomous Tentacula

As students enter the greenhouse, the first thing they notice is that the tables have been moved to the walls, while two are left standing in the middle, cordoned off, and for good reason. On top of each table sits a large green plant with shoots & vines hanging over the table edges, the stems as well as some of the vines themselves are spiked, rather like that of a rose bush, but while a rose bush is motionless & hard, this plant looks ominously limber. The spikes near the center of each plant look much larger, and toothy.

"Hello class, don't get too close to these yet. I already fed it a few good steaks today, but it still gets temperamental when they're crowded by people acting touristy. Here we have the Venomous Tentaculas. Pretty nasty plants these. They're predators if you haven't guessed by what I'm feeding them, and they've got a hell of a poisonous bite if you don't watch yourself. It also expels venom from its shoots, and has venomous spikes. Highly dangerous if you catch one of these things on a bad day. Fortunately that day isn't today.

"Actually... I suppose it wouldn't be that dangerous so long as you don't let it eat you. That wizarding comedian, oh what was his name, Derwent Shimpling I think it was. He ate an entire Venomous Tentacula on a bet, and lived to tell the tale. ...his skin stayed purple after that though. Oh right, sap of the plant, which can be extracted through the shoots, have a look and viscosity virtually like water. While it isn't lethal to ingest, side effects of drinking it include a very uncomfortable burning sensation of your insides as well as the darkening of skin, usually to a purple shade. All it takes is drinking a few drops of the stuff to feel the effects.

"Today, you're going to get to harvest some of that "juice" from the tentacula. No, you're not going to drink it... erm, but I guess you can taste it if you're not afraid of the symptoms. It's not lethal in such a small dose, and the side effects will go away I can assure you (just don't eat an entire plant O_o), but you'll definitely feel bad for some of the day, and no, I'm not letting you use it as an excuse to skip the rest of your classes stare Just... just don't down it all, I'm supposed to be sending that sap to some potion-makers. Anyway, get your dragonhide gloves on. I also have some goggles and some protective face masks you can put on to protect your face. You should also take a jar from my desk," she You each have your own tentacula to approach; to get the sap 'gently' massage one of the shoots from the inner part of the plant to the tip to squeeze the sap out into the jar. Be warned, if you're agitating the plant, the shoot your holding will start to stiffen in preparation to squirt venom at you. If that happens back up from the Tentacula slowly, and give it a few seconds to calm down before trying another shoot. Once you've filled your jar, turn it in at the desk and you're free to go. Good luck!"

-- To Harvest Venomous Tentacula Sap --

Roll one 20-sided die using the Post Action while role-playing the attempt.

Roll under 15 five times to complete filling the jar.
Rolling a 15-20 means you've agitated the Tentacula and you need to take a step back to let it calm before trying again.

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

techpriest35 rolled 1 20-sided dice: 12 Total: 12 (1-20)

techpriest35
Crew

Dangerous Mage

13,790 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:18 am

*puts on protective gear and finds a shoot to try and get some of the juice from begins the milking process*
attempt 1
*fills jar 1/5 of the way*

techpriest35 rolled 1 20-sided dice: 2 Total: 2 (1-20)
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:20 am

*puts on protective gear and finds a shoot to try and get some of the juice from begins the milking process*
attempt 2
2/5 full

techpriest35
Crew

Dangerous Mage

13,790 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150
techpriest35 rolled 1 20-sided dice: 17 Total: 17 (1-20)

techpriest35
Crew

Dangerous Mage

13,790 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:21 am

* finds a shoot to try and get some of the juice from continues the milking process*
attempt 3
2/5 full
*runs from plant and the crazy poison*

techpriest35 rolled 1 20-sided dice: 20 Total: 20 (1-20)
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:22 am

* finds a new shoot to try and get some of the juice from continues the milking process*
attempt 4
*runs from more of the evil poison but gets covered in it*

2/5 full

techpriest35
Crew

Dangerous Mage

13,790 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150
techpriest35 rolled 1 20-sided dice: 1 Total: 1 (1-20)

techpriest35
Crew

Dangerous Mage

13,790 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:25 am

* finds a new shoot to try and get some of the juice from continues the milking process*
3/5 full
*gets more of the juice*

techpriest35 rolled 1 20-sided dice: 5 Total: 5 (1-20)
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:26 am

*gets more plant juice*
4/5 full

techpriest35
Crew

Dangerous Mage

13,790 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150
techpriest35 rolled 1 20-sided dice: 1 Total: 1 (1-20)

techpriest35
Crew

Dangerous Mage

13,790 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:27 am

5/5 ful
*fills jar and hands in the jar labeled with my name house and year
and class

l

DownAzzLette rolled 1 20-sided dice: 4 Total: 4 (1-20)
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:31 pm
User Image

Eyes James as he is "milking' his vines and smirks at his antics. Looks at my vine and sighs before putting gloves, goggles, and mask on. Grabs a jar, then takes a vine and rubs it. Fills the jar some.

1/5

DownAzzLette

12,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
DownAzzLette rolled 1 20-sided dice: 3 Total: 3 (1-20)

DownAzzLette

12,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:33 pm
User Image

Sighs and rubs again! Watches it fill the Jar some more!

2/5

DownAzzLette rolled 1 20-sided dice: 8 Total: 8 (1-20)
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:34 pm
User Image

Rubs it some more and lets out a sigh as it fills the jar some more.

3/5

DownAzzLette

12,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
DownAzzLette rolled 1 20-sided dice: 12 Total: 12 (1-20)

DownAzzLette

12,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:41 pm
User Image

Rubs it some more and lets out a sigh as it fills the jar some more.

4/5

The White Tomb [Archives]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces