Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
First Aid for: Lea Florens Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:24 pm
syrella
The freebie you did is really cute. <3 The only thing I would say is that you should use guidelines a bit more to get everything lined up properly. It seemed very lopsided to me. Do this before going in for all of your detail work.

Same with the full body image you'd done. The lines and the coloring are all very beautiful, along with the nice rendering of the fabric, but you just need to work on the form a bit more. One tip that I have is that you try sketching out the basics such as the torso, the head, the hips, spine, etc. Get an idea of where you want everything to do. Then start fleshing the figure out without trying to add clothes and other details. Finally, when you get everything in the right place and looking nice, only then should you go in for all of your colors and inking and stuff. Try out this method for one or two pieces. If you find you can't stand it, then go back to what you were doing. Sketching out a piece beforehand has really helped my art, though. ^_^ So I'm speaking from personal experience.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

Guidelines?

Thanks for the tip. XD I do do the basic-shape-stickman when I start out...-->musculature-->clothes-->inking.
But somehow my anatomy still lets me down. >.<  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:39 am
Lea Florens

Guidelines?

Thanks for the tip. XD I do do the basic-shape-stickman when I start out...-->musculature-->clothes-->inking.
But somehow my anatomy still lets me down. >.<

Well, more than just the stick figure, see if you can't map out the volumes of the figure before you begin. Instead of a line, try drawing a cylinder. Instead of a circle, draw a sphere. Look at the skeleton if you need help. For example, a good starting point might be a "vest" for the ribcage.

Once you get the basic structure drawn in, ask yourself simple questions like... is the figure balanced? Is everything in proper alignment? How about the proportions? Etc.

If you're doing all that and still having trouble, then I'd suggest getting out your references. Live figure drawing would be ideal, but if that's not an option, then find photographs and anatomy guides.  

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:03 pm
@syrella: I understand what you're saying, I'll keep that in mind. Figure drawing, eeeks. >.<

New chibi!

User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:48 pm
Nothing much to say about the anatomy, because it's chibi razz

Although I do have suggestion: motion. That drawing looks kind of rigid. Maybe you can try to loosen up. Draw framewire with large sweeping strokes for movement and go with it. Will make your chibis more interesting. You could also try giving a distinct base body shape (circle, triangle, square) to distinguish one character from the other.

Sorry, no picture guides for you. razz  

Mogtoats

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:00 pm
Mogtoats
Nothing much to say about the anatomy, because it's chibi razz

Although I do have suggestion: motion. That drawing looks kind of rigid. Maybe you can try to loosen up. Draw framewire with large sweeping strokes for movement and go with it. Will make your chibis more interesting. You could also try giving a distinct base body shape (circle, triangle, square) to distinguish one character from the other.

Sorry, no picture guides for you. razz

Thanks for the crit! I'll try to practice motion. >.< Haven't thought about 'base body shapes' for chibis before....  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:01 pm
Yet another chibi! I'm onna roll. XD

The commissioner's avatar is cosplaying as Yuna.

User Image  

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

Virtuosorose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:22 pm
Do you Still do free avi art? smile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:02 am
Virtuosorose
Do you Still do free avi art? smile

I'm a lazy bum, so I have to say no. ^^;

I shall be in an auction thread starting about next week though, freebies will be given to the nice people that stick around it!  

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:46 pm
Auction sample:
User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:57 pm
New bump freebie! One more to go. >.<
User Image  

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:38 pm
More chibi.

User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:03 pm
Practice for drawing guys.
User Image
User Image
User ImageUser Image  

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:50 pm
Chibi! (1/6)
User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:17 am
Oh, very nice! I'd suggest making the coloring on that last chibi smoother, but I get the feeling that perhaps it was and your scanner ate it. wink

On the post before that, I think that on the first (top left) drawing, stylistically the way only the inside of the collar is defined and the rest becomes part of the page looks really great. Perhaps the head is a bit elongated though, even for that angle; and [his] left jawline should be a bit fuller and curve out more to my eye.

It's a pleasure looking at your art. smile  

Sunsway

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:59 pm
Sunsway
Oh, very nice! I'd suggest making the coloring on that last chibi smoother, but I get the feeling that perhaps it was and your scanner ate it. wink

On the post before that, I think that on the first (top left) drawing, stylistically the way only the inside of the collar is defined and the rest becomes part of the page looks really great. Perhaps the head is a bit elongated though, even for that angle; and [his] left jawline should be a bit fuller and curve out more to my eye.

It's a pleasure looking at your art. smile

XD Thank you for the crit! I know, I have to work on making my colors smoother. Maybe I should shrink the images more...

I see what you mean by the jawline on the headshot. I'll keep that in mind next time, thanks again!  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff