Submit

Do you like Diana Wynne Jones?
  Yes
  No
  Unsure/Haven't read her books
View Results

Argetlam092

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:42 am
Hexwood is concievably one of the best books ever written. The first book by Dianna Wayne Jones that I ever read was The Chronicals of Chrestomanci Vol. 1. I didn't really like Time of the Ghost, though, it was to hard to understand at times, but the theory of going back in time as a ghost when she blacked out was a pretty cool thing.
And, yes, Mordion does rock. Undoubtedly.
I haven't read all of her books, its good to know there are more out there. I'm going to have to start rereading her books pretty soon.
I also think I have read Charmed Life, I'll have to go check, but I'm pretty sure I have.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:10 pm
NightIntent
I just realized something.... No one's mentioned Deep Secret. (I don't think I did, either. n.n") Has anyone else read it? I rather liked it. It was interesting.

It was ok.

She's said somewhere that she doesn't think adults are as smart as kids & I think it shows in this novel. It's more bloated than most of her work, for one thing.  

Bookwyrme

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:23 pm
Yeah, I suppose. I read a book that, for some reason, reminded me of Deep Secret. I think it was the trip to Babylon part.... But I don't entirely remember most of Deep Secret. I just know I liked the beginning, because what's-her-name, the main character, was much more entertainnig when she was being mean and snippy than later on when she got somewhat nicer.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:56 pm
I love howl's moving castle, and i just got the movie. It was awsome!!!!!!!  

KyoLuvsCats

Tiny Shapeshifter

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:20 pm
I have got to get hold of a copy of that movie!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:10 pm
Bookwyrme
I have got to get hold of a copy of that movie!

I'm gonna see if my friend will lend me her copy of it, when she gets it. Just so I can see why she likes it so much.  

NightIntent
Captain

doodlebuggey88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:57 pm
I saw Howl's Moving Castle a few weeks ago and fell in love with it, so I got the book a few days later. I must have read the book two or three times in one weekend. I really reallly want to get the other books she's written, but I don't have any spare money and neither the library nor the hippie book store in my town carry her work as far as I know.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:43 pm
Howl's Moving Castle all the way. She's a great author. heart I just finished that book, it was a bit confusing but I loved it. I just bought the movie. heart Miyazaki rules too!  

Lioness4

Distinct Raider

10,650 Points
  • 20 Wins 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Sileny

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:23 am
I FINALLY got to see the movie. It was great! I bow before the creative genius of Jones and Miyazaki, for they have created a masterpiece!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:14 am
NightIntent
I just realized something.... No one's mentioned Deep Secret. (I don't think I did, either. n.n") Has anyone else read it? I rather liked it. It was interesting.

Don't forget the sequel, The Merlin Conspiracy. Anyway, these two aren't my favorites, but they were decent.  

tecche

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:16 am
I haven't read The Merlin COnspiracy yet. I haven't decided if I'm going to or not.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:20 am
I haven't read it in awhile, but I think it's worthwhile. The sequel focuses on Nick.  

tecche

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:32 am
Okay, I'll try looking for it next time I go to the library. I haven't got the money to buy... well, anything. I think I have $15, and I'm saving that for Broken.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:21 pm
I was pretty fond of the TOUGH GUIDE TO FANTASYLAND, which was the first thing I ever read by Ms. Jones. I'm looking to read Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Sky, next.

I used to be a theatre geek in high school, so I got a big kick out of the DARK LORD OF DIRKHOLME, which was pretty much a backstage amateur theatre story set on a secondary-world-wide scale. Fun stuff.  

Harbone

tecche

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:17 pm
I've been keeping an eye for Tough Guide to Fantasyland, I think I saw it once but didn't buy it for whatever reason.

I think I should warn you however, that Castle in the Sky is more of a spin off than a sequel, with extended cameos of characters from the first book. It's still good though.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff