Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:32 am
The Amazing Ryuu
America as a whole has forgotten that it is NOT, in fact, a democracy, and needs to stop throwing that word around. Furthermore, it needs to stop pushing its nose into other countries and demand that THEY be democracies as well. But that's another discussion. America is a republic. The people have given up their rights to make decisions for themselves. Oh, we're still allowed to vote... but the popular vote doesn't mean anything. Voting for the president, for example, is done by the electoral college, which doesn't have to go the same way as what the people want. We're given the illusion of having a say in what happens in America, but really anything that's going to happen is pushed through by those already in power, and those who see themselves as 'elite.'

I nearly stopped reading here. The United States is not a democracy, and most people have no problem understanding this. People may use the word "democracy" from time to time in place of "republic," but that is hardly a problem. In actuality, most of use the word "democracy" is spot on. For example, the United States has never said any country needs to be a democracy. It always says countries need "democracy," not "a democracy." Democratic representation in the government is a vital component in ensuring freedom.

One of the more ridiculous claims in this segment was that people have given up their right to make decisions for themselves. They never had this "right." The nature of a government involves people losing this "right." That said, in the United States, a person's opinion matters greatly. While direct votes only control a portion of the government actions, popular mandate will always determine government action. There is no doubt if people held the politicians in Washington DC accountable for their promises and actions, Congress would change overnight.

And this brings me to the next absurdity. Popular votes. The point here is wrong on two parts. First, you provide the example of the Electoral College, but no other examples. Of all the thousands of different things people can vote on each year, you picked one. Not only is it only one example, you do nothing to show the Electoral College makes the popular vote valueless. While the Electoral College certainly shapes how campaigning is done, it still relies on the people's vote. Moreover, the popularity of a president during an election, and during his campaign, directly impacts what he can do as president.

Finally, what you say about the Electoral College simply isn't true. While no national law requires Electoral College members follow the vote of their state, a majority of the states have such laws. Moreover, some states (primarily Nebraska and Maine) don't give their electoral votes to just one party. They can split their votes, based entirely on how the popular vote turns out. It is rare for anyone to vote against their state's wishes, and there has never been a case of such changing the outcome of an election.

The Amazing Ryuu
I think Obama is the first president since FDR to actually give a crap about the people who populate the country he's leading,

This is nonsense. There is no reason to believe every president between FDR and Obama has been apathetic about the people of the United States, and there is every reason not to believe it. Can anyone say they don't think Eisenhower cared? LBJ? Are we to believe Reagan, Clinton and Carter just didn't care?

You might be able to say there were some presidents who didn't care about this country or its people. I don't believe so, but whatever. But to argue Obama is the first president in some 60 years to actually care is absurd. Whatever good qualities he may have, there is no sense is this sort of rhetoric.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:22 pm
*sigh* I forgot how nitpicky we can get in here sometimes. I'm writing late at night with a concussion, so my phrasing wasn't as correct as it could be. That being said, my entire earlier tirade is my personal opinion on the direction the country has been taking, and where it's going from here. Whether or not you agree is up to you.  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:41 pm
It is not "nitpicky" to disagree when someone says about a dozen consecutive presidents didn't care about the people of the United States. It isn't "nitpicky" to say voting matters.

While you are entitled to your opinion, you shouldn't be surprised when people take issue with bombastic rhetoric.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:23 am
zz1000zz
It is not "nitpicky" to disagree when someone says about a dozen consecutive presidents didn't care about the people of the United States. It isn't "nitpicky" to say voting matters.

While you are entitled to your opinion, you shouldn't be surprised when people take issue with bombastic rhetoric.

You're nitpicky about the words I use, and always have been. That's all I meant. You can consider me outrageous if you like. I'm perfectly okay with that. smile  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:46 pm
The Amazing Ryuu
zz1000zz

You're nitpicky about the words I use, and always have been. That's all I meant. You can consider me outrageous if you like. I'm perfectly okay with that. smile

Now I am going to be somewhat nitpicky. I condemned a number of things you said. You response began with, "I forgot how nitpicky we can be in here sometimes." The clear implication is that I was being nitpicky, even though none of my criticisms depended upon your word choice.

In any event, I think we can find similar comments made in just about time period. It is similar to how people of every generation believe they are living in the "end times." If you want to see truly horrible statements made, things far worse than anything Beck has said, just look at the media before television existed.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:21 am
zz1000zz
In any event, I think we can find similar comments made in just about time period. It is similar to how people of every generation believe they are living in the "end times." If you want to see truly horrible statements made, things far worse than anything Beck has said, just look at the media before television existed.

Completely agreed on this point. Beck just happens to be the loudest, and if not most popular at least the most well-known, in a while. I think part of what we're seeing with him is there are now fewer people left in the political middle. Those who were are starting to gravitate toward the outskirts as well, becoming more middle-left or middle-right. I wonder if that has an correlation with the bigger gap between the rich and the poor, with a now almost non-existent middle class.  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:30 am
zz1000zz
Call Me Apple
I dislike him and I dislike conservative Republicans because they all share this view.

This is a horrible thing to say. Plenty of conservatives - I'd wager the majority - do not agree with people like Glenn Beck. The problem is we only see the nutjobs.

Ironically, the "conservative" we have nowadays is nothing like the real conservative. Just look at Barry Goldwater. He was a Republican, arguably the father of conservatism, and he was a major supporter of homosexual rights. Think about that. The conservative who ran for president fifty years ago was a bigger supporter of homosexual rights than the liberals.

P.S. To be fair, Beck has said he doesn't oppose church's performing charity work. He said it is only bad if they support government charity. That is somewhat reasonable.

Agree with you zz1000zz  
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:22 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1s4fj-5zlk&feature=related

Well, that just about does it for Glen Beck anyway.

Good thing, the conservatives are better off without him.  

Matt Pniewski

The_Cursed_Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:01 pm
I hate how all of you stupid "Liberals" "Progressive's" whatever you see yourself as don't see the other side of the argument you are so narrow minded its not funny, I watch Glenn Beck on a regular basis and I have not seen anything that he has done wrong to deserve your criticism, he has a red phone which is actually a hidden joke involving the 2nd world war but lets get on with this. all he's been saying cut not priority spending and lower taxes, and oh one the politicians don't know READ THE BILL
and i will explain all of those items

cutting spending should be obvious how that lowers our deficit

if you raise taxes to high people will leave the country to create jobs however if you lower them you will actually receive more money because people will come here to create jobs henceforth increasing our economy and indirectly our military power (Boycott's, ext)

reading the bill can lower our deficit so that we don't pass anything that raises it.  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:48 pm
Curse-of-the-Phoenix
I hate how all of you stupid "Liberals" "Progressive's" whatever you see yourself as don't see the other side of the argument you are so narrow minded its not funny, I watch Glenn Beck on a regular basis and I have not seen anything that he has done wrong to deserve your criticism, he has a red phone which is actually a hidden joke involving the 2nd world war but lets get on with this. all he's been saying cut not priority spending and lower taxes, and oh one the politicians don't know READ THE BILL
and i will explain all of those items

cutting spending should be obvious how that lowers our deficit

if you raise taxes to high people will leave the country to create jobs however if you lower them you will actually receive more money because people will come here to create jobs henceforth increasing our economy and indirectly our military power (Boycott's, ext)

reading the bill can lower our deficit so that we don't pass anything that raises it.

See, that's hardly the point entirely. Though I should point out that we've lost jobs to Canada, a country with a higher tax rate. Seems businesses rather payer higher taxes than the costs of Health Care.

Of course, I'm all in favor of heavy fines on Businesses that move production overseas. Did I say Fines? I mean taxes. That should keep them from moving.  

Matt Pniewski

Lazarus The Resurected

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:57 am
Curse-of-the-Phoenix

Like for instance, the Military budget?
I could honestly care less what the hell you yanks get up to. s**t, my dollar (Canadian) is finaly worth something in your backward-a** country again. However, I will say that if Beck is claiming to be a Christian, then he is a hypocrite or a liar. Supporting the idea of not helping poor or needy people for any reason is automaticaly unchristian (see any time poor or sick people end up within 20 feet of Jesus in any gospel). In fact if I'm not mistaken, Jesus makes a point to belittle the rich every chance he gets.
Personaly, the ideas of looking out only for myself and my immediate family and screwing other people over in order to keep myself thriving don't bother me at all. Then again, I am a Satanist, it's kind of a part of our religious teachings. (man, i hope you haven't quit the guild yet)  
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:25 pm
Curse-of-the-Phoenix
I hate how all of you stupid "Liberals" "Progressive's" whatever you see yourself as don't see the other side of the argument you are so narrow minded its not funny,

*raises eyebrow* And I believe here is a textbook case of the pot calling the kettle black. If you would like to keep those types of comments from being directed at yourself, please refrain from making them in the guild.

Curse-of-the-Phoenix

It should be said that ANY change of administration raises taxes. The new people in power want to change things (some for the better, some for the worse, and which is which is usually what's up for debate). But, the point remains, that taxes pay for things. Schools, hospitals, police, firemen, libraries, road construction and repair, wages for government officials, military funding, and dozens of other things. Once upon a time, the richest men and women in the country had a top tax of 90%, and were STILL able to live the good life. Other countries have outrageous taxes, but they get so much that they don't have to pay out-of-pocket that nobody much minds.

Now, it's become unChristian in America, and unAmerican, to follow the teachings of Jesus. We can't love them because they're not us. Hoard your money because if you don't you'll end up with the rest of the poor. And so on. And Mr. Beck there is one of the ringleaders of this caste-and-class circus.  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

Semiremis

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:23 am
Matt Pniewski

Ugh...how can you stomache that video it's ridiculous eek

I thought we all came to the conclusion that Glenn Beck was awesome and most of the crap thrown at him is based on things taken out of context (like in the video you posted).  
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:16 am
I'm one of those "followers" of Glenn Beck and it hurts me when people call us "nutjobs". I believe that if we really want to help the poor we should do it through the church, and not through the government. I also found out something interesting: the liberals who demanded separation of church and state are actually going to churches for help pushing their environmental agenda! Doesn't that seem a little contradictory. As far as I'm concerned, I'm just a normal girl who loves God and doesn't want the government's interference when it comes to living her own life and making her own choices!  

Karo Kiba

Newbie Soldier

9,975 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
  • Conversationalist 100

The_Cursed_Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:23 am
Matt Pniewski

Sorry i didn't have time to watch it last time here is what i will say i have seen all of those episodes of his show, the maker of that video mish mashed them around to make it sound like that when he was using those Nazi cards he was doing a special on the Holocaust. however it was quite comical.  
Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff