Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Flanderization of Light & Dark? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ashley the Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:34 am
Sam Oaken Willow 17
I kinda see it as a light/dark (or I guess I should say white/black) gradient scale. White being pure, black being...not so pure. Most/all people fall in the shades of grey and I see that as being just fine.

Pure or not pure ... what? What qualities? According to what measure?

I mean, what if I'm pure (evil)? Does that mean that I'm on the light side because of the purity of my evil?

Perhaps trying to describe it so briefly is the problem? I wonder if you could be much more verbose if that would help explain what you have in mind when you think of yourself as being "dark", and how that may extend to others.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:51 am
ShadowCatSoul

I realize they may be real to other people, just not to me.
Do we need to explain to you yet again why Subjective reality is a false concept?  

TeaDidikai

Sam Oaken Willow 17

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:41 pm
Ashley the Bee
Sam Oaken Willow 17
I kinda see it as a light/dark (or I guess I should say white/black) gradient scale. White being pure, black being...not so pure. Most/all people fall in the shades of grey and I see that as being just fine.

Pure or not pure ... what? What qualities? According to what measure?

I mean, what if I'm pure (evil)? Does that mean that I'm on the light side because of the purity of my evil?

Perhaps trying to describe it so briefly is the problem? I wonder if you could be much more verbose if that would help explain what you have in mind when you think of yourself as being "dark", and how that may extend to others.

I guess it would just depend on the person's ideas. I don't see myself as "dark" I see myself as grey.

And I guess I'm not elaborating much because I don't really see why it matters. I just am, why do I need to describe myself beyond that? My thinking energy doesn't usually go towards this kinda thing, I guess. Maybe it should...in some people's opinion...and maybe it will sometimes, but for the most part it doesn't. I'm okay with thinking like this and leaving some areas blank or with a big huge "?" They'll get answered eventually, if they matter.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:03 pm
I think part of the problem is that magic inherently is not good/bad, light/dark, good/evil, etc... what is more important is how it's being used. "Light" magic can be used to harm, and "Dark" to heal.

Quote:
And I guess I'm not elaborating much because I don't really see why it matters.

We've asked you to elaborate because you are the one that brought it up. You are advertising a guild, but can't seem to articulate what the guild is actually about.  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

Sam Oaken Willow 17

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:16 pm
I just thought some people might want to check it out. I didn't start the guild and it's just starting up anyway. You know how hard it is to get the ball rolling on this sort of thing. How long has it taken for the guilds you're most active in to make their way to the top? I joined up with that one because I thought I could add in my two cents every once in a while. Maybe the real questions should be directed to the one in charge over there.

Oh something I forgot to ask about in my last post--Tea could you please point me towards the explanation of Subjective reality? We were discussing subjectiveness today in my Religious Studies class and it's likely to come up again so I think it would help me if I read it. Thanks!  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:17 pm
too2sweet
I think part of the problem is that magic inherently is not good/bad, light/dark, good/evil, etc... what is more important is how it's being used. "Light" magic can be used to harm, and "Dark" to heal.

I sometimes wonder if these folks have ever spent an unbearably hot day under the sun and longed for shade or a cool dark room- or if they have ever thought about being sunburned.  

TeaDidikai

ShadowCatSoul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:57 pm
TeaDidikai
ShadowCatSoul

Do we need to explain to you yet again why Subjective reality is a false concept?

Even in everyday real world issues I don't see anything that I could categorize as "good" or "evil". There are rights and wrongs, but nothing as strong as I would call evil.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:59 pm
ShadowCatSoul
TeaDidikai
ShadowCatSoul

Even in everyday real world issues I don't see anything that I could categorize as "good" or "evil". There are rights and wrongs, but nothing as strong as I would call evil.
Well then for your sake, I hope you never experience actual evil.

Edit: The question remains, do you need to have the flaws of Subjective Reality pointed out again?  

TeaDidikai

ShadowCatSoul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:06 pm
TeaDidikai
ShadowCatSoul
TeaDidikai
ShadowCatSoul

Well then for your sake, I hope you never experience actual evil.

Edit: The question remains, do you need to have the flaws of Subjective Reality pointed out again?

Explain to me what you see as evil then.

And I don't believe I need it explained, but if you feel you must, I'm willing to listen.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:21 pm
ShadowCatSoul
Explain to me what you see as evil then.

Why assume it has anything to do with how I see things?

Quote:
And I don't believe I need it explained, but if you feel you must, I'm willing to listen.
I'll rephrase the question. Do you actually understand why you're wrong?  

TeaDidikai

ShadowCatSoul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:50 pm
Not sure if I still believe I'm not wrong or not, but I was just talking to my friend Andrew about this and he explained this in a way that makes me question my prior beliefs on this situation.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:16 pm
TeaDidikai
Why assume it has anything to do with how I see things?

Definition 1 or 3?
I am assuming you aren't referring to 2.
Also, this would support an objective view of morality if you are establishing that 1 is not subjective. If so, I missed that 180.

Also, while we are talking about evil, thank you for linking to the progeny of the wicked Noah Webster, who intentionally confounded the English language as it is used in our nation to be less intelligible to that used in other nations, and who attempted to engineer society by manipulating language.
Tying this in...
Assuming a perceptible and objective system, can an act that is done using evil methods be ameliorated by it's after affects? Does Evil give rise to Good?
Or are these forces in opposition rather than alternation?  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:34 pm
Fiddlers Green

Definition 1 or 3?
I am assuming you aren't referring to 2.
Also, this would support an objective view of morality if you are establishing that 1 is not subjective. If so, I missed that 180.
One, though within the objective framework three at times exists within the first.
Quote:

Assuming a perceptible and objective system, can an act that is done using evil methods be ameliorated by it's after affects? Does Evil give rise to Good?
Or are these forces in opposition rather than alternation?

I see two questions. Can a good end justify an evil means and can evil create good.

No- the ends do not justify the means. We may have to live with what has come before, but that does not change the thing's nature of evil.

And yes, evil can give rise to good- but it is not a function of the evil itself.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:38 pm
TeaDidikai
I see two questions. Can a good end justify an evil means and can evil create good.

No- the ends do not justify the means. We may have to live with what has come before, but that does not change the thing's nature of evil.

And yes, evil can give rise to good- but it is not a function of the evil itself.

How much of a role does context play in this?  

Fiddlers Green

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces