Submit

Femme Autobot Crescendo

Proxy Werewolf

12,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:11 am
((Hooray! It's the pit bull sig lady! I liked your sig.))

And I mentioned 'Gooddog'. She was just a bubbly, happy dog who loved people.

Pit Bulls are a bit like big babies, in the sense that what they're taught, they do.

They did experiments like this before. If you ring a bell when you give the dog it's food, it learns to equate the bell with food.

If you hurt a dog, it learns to equate YOU with PAIN.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:19 pm
I say this a lot, Pit Bulls were originally bred for easy training and good behavior. It wasn't the dogs fault that people decided to trick them into being trained to fight. The Pits in the fighting rings are taught their whole lives to fight and kill, but people taught them that, and yet the dogs get put down not the people. I hate it when pits aren't allowed in parks or living areas because of their fellow dogs who were trained by sadists. I personally think Pits are beautiful and I want to get one someday.  

Official Gothic Chick

AriaStarSong

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:53 pm
Femme Autobot Crescendo
((Hooray! It's the pit bull sig lady! I liked your sig.))
I'm famous! Yay!

I need to redo it. I'm not really happy with it, but haven't had the motivation to design a new one razz This one still gets the information out, which is the idea in general. I'm just tired of that graphic.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:38 pm
I saw the sig while reading through some older forums(I do that when I get bored) and I went 'Yay!'

But, yes. Pits are given a bad reputation..
In fact, all dogs were bred selectively from wolves for certain reasons.

Bloodhounds for the nose, greyhounds for the legs...
A dog is, essentially, a wolf that liked getting handouts from early man.  

Femme Autobot Crescendo

Proxy Werewolf

12,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200

RosesFallingLikeRain

Desirable Businesswoman

11,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:53 pm
Okay, my mother worked as the owner of About.Dogs.Com, and I still read all her dog books, including the one she wrote.
I pride myself on my knowledge of dogs.

One of the first things I'm going to say?
The owner should pay, not the dog.
I hate how pitbulls are blamed for 'agression' in the dog world.
It is not Dog-eat-dog.
Golden Retrievers bite people more often than Pit Bulls.

Yes, Pitbulls are dog-agressive, but that can be trained out of them.

Some people in the thread are extremely stupid and I refuse to post more on the topic.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:55 pm
RosesFallingLikeRain
Okay, my mother worked as the owner of About.Dogs.Com, and I still read all her dog books, including the one she wrote.
I pride myself on my knowledge of dogs.

One of the first things I'm going to say?
The owner should pay, not the dog.
I hate how pitbulls are blamed for 'agression' in the dog world.
It is not Dog-eat-dog.
Golden Retrievers bite people more often than Pit Bulls.

Yes, Pitbulls are dog-agressive, but that can be trained out of them.

Some people in the thread are extremely stupid and I refuse to post more on the topic.

Very well said and agreed.  

The Sweet Sadist

AriaStarSong

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:17 pm
Femme Autobot Crescendo
I saw the sig while reading through some older forums(I do that when I get bored) and I went 'Yay!'

But, yes. Pits are given a bad reputation..
In fact, all dogs were bred selectively from wolves for certain reasons.

Bloodhounds for the nose, greyhounds for the legs...
A dog is, essentially, a wolf that liked getting handouts from early man.
Some breeds do have a more inherent aggressive streak. Akitas are the first that come to mind. Not that they're bad dogs either, they just aren't particularly good family dogs. There are a lot of breeds that are good dogs but not particularly recommended as family dogs (Dobermans, Akitas, a lot of the hunting breeds) but any of these dogs can be great pets if their treated correctly. They're not usually known as "family" dogs because they tend to be less tolerant of children-like antics than some breeds such as labs or goldens or, oddly enough, pit bulls.

Blah, I need to do legal research on county ordinances when I get home. Ick. The city near where I live has BSL, but I live just over the county line and I don't think we have BSL there... but I need to make sure that I would be able to go into the city to take my dog to the vet without getting arrested...
Wonder if the base has BSL laws... we don't live on base but I could make the boyfriend take the dog into the vet there.
Probably would be easier to get a breed that wasn't banned... but I know there are a bunch of pit crosses at the humane society right now, and they don't have much of a chance since they can't be within city limits. *sigh*  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:46 pm
Okay i hope i can straighten this out for everybody. Pitbulls were bred to be fighting dogs, but now a days they are bred with labs with gives them ah-mazingly good temperment. I remember when everyone was afraid of rotts and dobes, then people started seeing the other side to these dogs in fact a rott saved a little girl's life because it was so loyal. Now putting this aside, Pitbulls are not the monsters, its the ones behind the leash,if your mean to your dog it will be mean back. Kindness is a two-way street. So, no pitbulls are not as mean as everyone says, the poor dogs are just misunderstood....keep in mind so were dobes and rotts.
Hope I helped! <3 this is my fave subject  

ll-Oxytocin-ll

Dangerous Associate

10,200 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

khionna

Salty Wench

39,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:44 pm
In fatalities Rottweilers are right up there with Pit Bulls according to everything I have read. All dogs can be aggressive or friendly depending on how they are treated and raised.

Wanna hear a funny story? I had a Rottweiler/Chow mix when I was a child. These are supposedly two very aggressive dog breeds. My dog attacked no one and was so excited to see me and my sister that it would basically tackle me and it would run her over because she was so small. He wasn't trying to hurt anyone and he never did hurt anyone. I had him until he was stolen and I couldn't find him to get him back. We now have a Yorkshire Terrier. She is very friendly to immediate family and a few friends, but she does not like people she doesn't know and has bitten at least five or six people. The come in our house after they have been warned, and there is a sign on our porch so they can do nothing.

Usually dog bites are the fault of the person who is bitten, especially children because they tend to chase and taunt the animals. I plan to get a large breed dog once I find a home of my own (most likely a Rottweiler or a Malamute) and if anyone ever tried to 'destroy' it they would have a serious fight on their hands. They would be proving to me that my dog was dangerous and they better have physical proof or they will be the ones in jail for discrimination against the dog breed.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:00 pm
I find any dog can be dangerous if pushed. Pitbulls are the breed of dog most incorrectly raised, and so most of the time end up being very aggressive. I know many pitbulls who are the sweetest, they are so misjudged.  

Muted_Nightingale

8,400 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Tycoon 200

poke the princess

Fashionable Ladykiller

6,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:06 pm
really its the breeder. if the pit bull was ever raised in a home or environment that taught it to be aggressive, then it might be. also, if the pit bull was young, it didn't know its own strength. when they are first born, they often lock their jaws open at first cuz they dont know their own body's limits. just like that, they dont know other people's limits. they just assume that they can rough house with anyone, and assume they can handle it. pits have a high pain tolerance, so if some one where getting attacked by a pit, and they started hitting it or screaming, it would just think the person is playing. really its not the dog's fault.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:38 pm
They're like every domesticated pet in the world.
Depends how you treat it is how it's attitude is.  

Pawprintz

8,200 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Flatterer 200

Azusanga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:16 pm
XxSmexii_AngelxX
Okay i hope i can straighten this out for everybody. Pitbulls were bred to be fighting dogs, but now a days they are bred with labs with gives them ah-mazingly good temperment. I remember when everyone was afraid of rotts and dobes, then people started seeing the other side to these dogs in fact a rott saved a little girl's life because it was so loyal. Now putting this aside, Pitbulls are not the monsters, its the ones behind the leash,if your mean to your dog it will be mean back. Kindness is a two-way street. So, no pitbulls are not as mean as everyone says, the poor dogs are just misunderstood....keep in mind so were dobes and rotts.
Hope I helped! <3 this is my fave subject

Um, not quite...

The umbrella term pit bull is often kept within the bully breeds, and labs are not often bred with them, or when they are it doesn't make the whole line. A decade or two ago, purebred Staffordshire Terriers, as well as various "Pit Bulls", were known as Nanny Dogs, due to their extremely gentle and human friendly tempermeant. People would breed these animals with extreme caution and purity, attempting to create the "perfect dog". This was well accomplished, and the practice is maintained today. To be considered purebred, a dog's parents must both be purebred. Purity must be traced back at least 3-4 generations, and considering how long it DOESNT take to reach those generations, the great great grandpa of your b***h is likely also traced, and etc. etc.... so breeding a lab in would create a "stain" and ruin, essentially, an entire line. Makes sense?

Dobermans and Rottweilers are often given the plate of discrimination handed to them because they were bred, trained, and raised to be selectively aggresive. Depending on the time period and the owners, Dobes and Rotts were VERY popular as guard dogs, and it takes a while to breed a selected tempermeant. While certain strains continue to improve in popularity and tempermeant, others remain at the dead-end as those dogs are being bred as guard dogs even today. I am in NO way saying that Dobes and Rotts are aggresive dog breeds and must be destroyed and banished and whatnot. I'm saying that a lot of people remeber the time period first hand, and will continue to spread their opinions into the plastic minds of children. Dobes and Rotts are also used today as guard dogs, which makes the misconception of their hatred of the world a little more difficult to shake.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:37 pm
Hester Peche
Any dog is dangerous. Pitbulls are considered more so because they have a locking jaw--like a shark. But raised with care and love they are like any dog, and pretty much a big, friendly couch potato...especially if they are fixed.

Honestly in my opinion chihuahua are more dangerous...those little things are meeeeean.
Lock jaw is a common myth. But it's just that, a myth. Pittbull-type dogs are tenacious and want to finish things, but their jaws do NOT lock, they simply have the will not to let go. Heck pit-type dogs don't even have the strongest bite pressure of any dog breed, that one goes to the Rottweiler, then the German Shepard comes in at the second highest.  

Melisserz

Sparkly Nerd

28,925 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Brandisher 100

Haiku

Bashful Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:19 pm
I have a Pit Bull as a companion, (I live in NYC) and I get SO offended when people are afraid of him. People will literally cross the street to avoid him, pick up their smaller dogs, or children when walking past, or squeeze into the back of the elevator when I take him out for a walk. (I live in an apartment) It's really heartbreaking because he's such a huge love bug. A jogger once even cursed at me because my pit bull was "in his way" while he was running. I honestly LOVE pit bulls, but they get a bad rep from the people who raise them to be monsters. Yeah, sometimes pit bulls do bite people, but you don't blame the dog, you blame the owner (Just like how you don't blame a girl for wearing what she does if she gets raped.) I wish people would stop selfishly breeding them. Here in nyc, our shelters are OVERRUN with pit bulls(Really GOOD ones too) but they get put to sleep like clock work...

Edit: My poopiekins. <3  
13. ✿ - - - Animals And Nature

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces