Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Sidreal verses Tropical- I don't get it! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:38 pm
Yeah... money is nice.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:39 pm
TeaDidikai
Yeah... money is nice.

Preaching to the choir. sweatdrop  

Collowrath

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:09 pm
TeaDidikai
Celeblin Galadeneryn
All things considered, I've been meaning to look into having a full chart done, but now I need to decide which one. I think I'd like both actually, considering that the Sun is actually figurably important to me, but it also makes sense to use the constellations themselves.

How do you think Astrology works?

What are the mechanics behind it?

Also, I do intend to actually do the twenty some charts I have said I would do over the years.

I just get lazy because I really ******** hate the math involved. But I do such a good job... alas, so torn.
My beliefs on Astrology aren't really fixed, which is kind of why I would like to have one done, because, let's face it, I'm horrible with numbers but would like to see the ins and outs of it, preferably with my own so I have some context so I could actually gain some opinion on it. I'm just pretty sure I don't have access to a good chart maker, for lack of a better term, outside of you and I wouldn't really want to trouble someone with my sort of beginner interest if it was hard to do.

I do sort of like Tycho Brahe's view on it though, in that by looking at the stars he sees what's around him.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:17 pm
I can understand the appeal of the metaphor, but I gotta do a head-desk at the geo-centric theory.  

TeaDidikai

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:20 pm
TeaDidikai
I can understand the appeal of the metaphor, but I gotta do a head-desk at the geo-centric theory.
Well, I like his sentiment on it, and more personally see it as understanding oneself by expanding ones view. I realise he's speaking from an incorrect astronomical standpoint though.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:23 pm
TeaDidikai

Okay. Now this is what I was hunting for.

Can you explain the mechanics.
What makes it fundamentally fixed?

Let's see if I can explain the mechanics. It makes more sense to me to use the sun rather than the sun and stars to derive because the idealistic heavens are fixed. Since the universe is a reflection of this idealistic heavens and ultimately ourselves as well. To have the stars signs move seems rather contradictory to the idea of this idealistic heaven. Using the equinoxes and solstices as the guiding factor for determining signs rather the stars as they are now preserves this notion of an fixed idealistic heaven.

I hope that explains it. Now I've found this to be very useful in natal readings but again I'm not sure if it's psychological forcing or accurate. Also I've never tried a forecast using this system for reason I am not completely comfortable with disclosing in this setting and timing.

oh and October 28.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:54 am
Err...ok, so, which one is more correct? Or does that not really count? I dunno, I'm confused. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:28 am
rmcdra

Let's see if I can explain the mechanics. It makes more sense to me to use the sun rather than the sun and stars to derive because the idealistic heavens are fixed.
The heavens are fixed? Can you explain this position for me?

Quote:

Since the universe is a reflection of this idealistic heavens and ultimately ourselves as well. To have the stars signs move seems rather contradictory to the idea of this idealistic heaven. Using the equinoxes and solstices as the guiding factor for determining signs rather the stars as they are now preserves this notion of an fixed idealistic heaven.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you are perhaps the last person I ever thought I would hear arguing for this.

There are indeed Fixed Stars, and this was what was referenced to generate the Astrological-Astronomical understandings prior to Alexander The Great's death (and thus the era's decline... but that's another story), but these aren't referenced by the Tropical Zodiac since it's a fixed system based initially in geo-centric theory.

I think some of this schism is so personal that it is almost better taken to PMs.

Quote:
oh and October 28.
Libra.

Bastemhet
Err...ok, so, which one is more correct? Or does that not really count? I dunno, I'm confused.
Which one is more correct is what I am asking everyone else. wink

I have a guess as to which one you would enjoy based on your tradition, but then, I had a similar guess for other folks and have been consistently wrong.  

TeaDidikai

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:04 am
April 4th.

Really don't have anything to add to this conversation, but I'm curious whee  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:05 am
TeaDidikai
rmcdra

Let's see if I can explain the mechanics. It makes more sense to me to use the sun rather than the sun and stars to derive because the idealistic heavens are fixed.
The heavens are fixed? Can you explain this position for me?
Unfortunately no. I've been out of astrology for the last 4 years. So I've forgotten most of it.
Quote:

Quote:

Since the universe is a reflection of this idealistic heavens and ultimately ourselves as well. To have the stars signs move seems rather contradictory to the idea of this idealistic heaven. Using the equinoxes and solstices as the guiding factor for determining signs rather the stars as they are now preserves this notion of an fixed idealistic heaven.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you are perhaps the last person I ever thought I would hear arguing for this.

There are indeed Fixed Stars, and this was what was referenced to generate the Astrological-Astronomical understandings prior to Alexander The Great's death (and thus the era's decline... but that's another story), but these aren't referenced by the Tropical Zodiac since it's a fixed system based initially in geo-centric theory.

I think some of this schism is so personal that it is almost better taken to PMs.
Again I haven't looked at it in the last 4 years so I'm pretty much defending something that I have placed into question since I've been reshaping my views to be more consistent. I used to be quite the idealist. I still am in some respects but I've been becoming quite the cynic lately.
Quote:

Quote:
oh and October 28.
Libra.
cool. I thought it was going to be that after you said there was a 25 degree difference.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:43 am
Shearaha
April 4th.

Really don't have anything to add to this conversation, but I'm curious whee
Pisces.

rmcdra>>
I guess I just figured the mythology and symbolism for Sidereal Astrology was better suited to Gnosticism.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:52 am
TeaDidikai

rmcdra>>
I guess I just figured the mythology and symbolism for Sidereal Astrology was better suited to Gnosticism.
Well I had stumbled across sidereal when I was a Neo-Pagan and was afraid of not identifying as a Scorpio anymore. I've been out of astrology when I left neo-paganism and was in that weird period between that and being called to Gnosticism.

Any starting points you can recommend for examining sidereal since I have been considering looking into astrology again?  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:54 am
rmcdra
TeaDidikai

rmcdra>>
Well I had stumbled across sidereal when I was a Neo-Pagan and was afraid of not identifying as a Scorpio anymore. I've been out of astrology when I left neo-paganism and was in that weird period between that and being called to Gnosticism.

Any starting points you can recommend for examining sidereal since I have been considering looking into astrology again?
Start with the history.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:48 pm
i'm curious as well

august 5

i'm secretly scared of not being a leo though, i identify with it so well crying  

whiporwill-o

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:19 pm
7 December.

I have an old astrology birth chart somewhere... back on my PC at school. Bah.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff