Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Cross-Tradition Participation Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

patch99329

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:00 pm
TeaDidikai
patch99329
I'd be happy to participate in most generic pagan rituals that I can think of off the top of my head, as long as they weren't shitting over any cultures or disrespecting any deities.

I'd be a little pickier when it comes to my own gods. I wouldn't participate in a ritual that would generate miasma and I wouldn't do certain magical rituals.
Is there anything you can think of in the kind of generic neo-pagan rituals that would generate miasma?

I'm not really sure. I was mostly thinking of rituals involving sex (which isn't necessarily what you'd find in a generic ritual).
Now that I think about it, i'd be worried about the purity standards of other participants. Those that aren't aware could enter the ritual in a state of miasma, and there may not be any purification involved in the ritual before the gods are invited.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:04 pm
patch99329
Now that I think about it, i'd be worried about the purity standards of other participants. Those that aren't aware could enter the ritual in a state of miasma, and there may not be any purification involved in the ritual before the gods are invited.

This would be a concern that would be on my mind as well. I'm sure some of their Gods don't mind, but when an eclectic group decides to invoke Artemis, I sure as Hell don't want to be in the middle of the mess they make.  

Collowrath

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:16 pm
Collowrath
patch99329

This would be a concern that would be on my mind as well. I'm sure some of their Gods don't mind, but when an eclectic group decides to invoke Artemis, I sure as Hell don't want to be in the middle of the mess they make.
Any difference if it isn't Artemis, but instead an Artemis-shaped Thoughtform?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:19 pm
Collowrath
patch99329

Yup.
Both UPG and outside sources suggest that this is not a good thing. I've had gods that I wouldn't immediately assume (assumptions are bad things, haha) to be strict about miasma, metaphorically kick my a** about it and make me go purify the space.
I've noticed with certain gods, when i'm in a state of miasma, ongoing prayer requests are not as effective and infomal prayers are ignored.

Maybe the gods are more forgiving with people who are not aware of the concept of miasma. But I believe I am expected to uphold their standards.  

patch99329

patch99329

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:21 pm
TeaDidikai
Collowrath
patch99329

I'm going to assume yes. Some of the wider neopagan views of Artemis are somewhat fuzzy and warmer than I have known her to be. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:43 pm
TeaDidikai
Collowrath
patch99329

Oh, I'm sure there would be. Myself, I'd still vacate quickly so as to not attract the ire of Artemis-who-isn't-thoughtform.

Then there's the "invoke" part of it. From my own conclusions about spiritual purity (which might not be in common with other Hellenics), I would not invite a God into my body, except in circumstances where my tradition calls for it. And I probably wouldn't want someone's Thoughtform inside me either, I don't know where it's been.

patch99329

Maybe the gods are more forgiving with people who are not aware of the concept of miasma. But I believe I am expected to uphold their standards.

Maybe they are, but I wouldn't hold them to it. smile  

Collowrath

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:49 pm
I would probably not participate in rituals of any gods other than my own. For one thing, I don't have a relationship with any deities outside of my pantheon, and I don't expect to interact with other deities intimately if they don't even know me. Two, I know nothing about the cultures from which they came from, and nothing about their purity standards. I tend not to rely on others to have researched such things because I find that a lot of the time people's research habits are not as exacting as mine, and I sure as hell don't want a pissed off god breathing down my neck. Even if I am a guest and my presence is wanted, I must respectfully decline for the reasons above. To me this is being a good guest because I have only the best interests of the gods and practitioners in mind.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:46 pm
If someone invites me, I'll actively participate in festivals and rituals and even church services. Because I don't cross the streams, I don't mind actually. I won't try and bring foreign gods into the process, but I will be wary if oaths are being sworn.

The minutes oaths are drawn (and I mean the binding ones like communion, which I have avoided), I go into the background until I leave.  

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:16 pm
True Colours of Destiny
If someone invites me, I'll actively participate in festivals and rituals and even church services.
I personally invited you to Recon.

Ha! Now you have to find a way to get here.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:51 pm
TeaDidikai
True Colours of Destiny
If someone invites me, I'll actively participate in festivals and rituals and even church services.

*Snorts* If I had the money, I would go.

But I don't.

I should've mentionned if I'm physically capable of going to said event.  

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

EternalHearts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:14 pm

I'm pretty okay with being in attendance of others' rituals if they have welcomed me (I used to attend Catholic Mass with an ex's family, and will likely have to attend more in the future with both my current partner's and my own families). I am respectful to their traditions and sit/kneel/stand when asked, but that is about it (not really much different from when I WAS Catholic!).

I've attended local Pagan Pride Days, but haven't been able to bring myself to attend the rituals they host--invocation gives me the willies, and even if there isn't an invocation, I just KNOW that one of the Greek Theoi will be paired up with a Celtic God in some neo-Wiccan sacred sexuality thing and I'll be miasmic forever due to their stupidity (okay, I'm exaggerating, but only a little).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:39 pm
True Colours of Destiny
TeaDidikai
True Colours of Destiny

*Snorts* If I had the money, I would go.

But I don't.

I should've mentionned if I'm physically capable of going to said event.
Can't blame me for trying.  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:52 am
Short form answers are being given for now, more in depth explanation available on request... This is one of the subjects I have ranted and raved about so I want to avoid spamming.

TeaDidikai
How willing are you to participate in rituals outside of your tradition?

Almost not.
I am highly adverse to this.

Quote:
What accommodations do you make for others?

I politely ignore them when possible.
This may not sound very accommodating... however, I have never claimed to be accommodating in this regard. Also, it is far better than what I am often required to do otherwise.

Quote:
What standards for participation do you hold?

I participate with those from the same religion(family) (for religious rituals) or lodge/class (for the secular ones) as me.
I participate with those I already know and am at least somewhat comfortable that they are responsible and that our systems are non-inimical.
I participate when I am obligated to (this is often a result of a hospitality rule or a service owed).  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff