no swear?
View Results

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:45 pm
[GoGo]
.�: || :�.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this but:
James 3:9-12 (Referring to the untamable beast, the tongue) "Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right! Does a spring of water bubble out with both fresh water and bitter water? Does a fig tree produce olives, or a grapevine produce figs? No, and you can't draw fresh water from salty spring."

Paul writes in one of his letters (i want to say 1 peter...) about removing all abusive language we use. This james passage can refer to the "BURN IN A FIRE" cursing then the actual use of cuss words. How does it look on a person of the faith who is praising god with all his heart then turns around and drops F bombs like it's no ones bussiness? People really look at how someone talks to judge them quickly. So cursing only hinders that. Sometimes it is necesarry to curse to emphasize a point, Like explaining to an Athiest that god loves them so damn much. Dang just doesn't do a good representation. But just choose your words wisely and think before you speak.

.�: |User Image| :�.

As I've kind of already explained, I think verses like this refer more to slandering and individual rather that cursing without malicious intent. You can curse and be wishing not harm upon anyone.

As I've already said, I don't think cursing is always appropriate, but sometimes it's the best word to use. If I slam my finger with a hammer, you can bet I'll probably yell some sort of four letter word. I'm not harming one and it conveys what I'm feeling- my thumb really, really hurts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:26 am

Oh believe me if i stub my toe or slam a finger in the door my words will be colorful, its just how i react to pain. But when talking in front of people and you are conveying that you are a christian cursing does hinder that. Dont ask me why but it does. I mean in the end if you do curse and you arnt meaning to offend someone and you do god knows your motives and your heart. But if you are cursing someone out then its a problem. If someone doesn't like curse words being said around them then dont do it.

[GoGo]

Hilarious Conversationalist

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:41 am
[GoGo]

Oh believe me if i stub my toe or slam a finger in the door my words will be colorful, its just how i react to pain. But when talking in front of people and you are conveying that you are a christian cursing does hinder that. Dont ask me why but it does. I mean in the end if you do curse and you arnt meaning to offend someone and you do god knows your motives and your heart. But if you are cursing someone out then its a problem. If someone doesn't like curse words being said around them then dont do it.

However, the passage is so lose about what "cursing" is that it could be as strict as summoning an incantation, or calling somebody a jerk.

And let me be quite frank, sometimes you do, for the good of everyone, have to really let somebody have it.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:20 pm

Colossians 3:8 "But now is the time to get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language."
That was the passage i was refering to before.
And there is never a time to let somebody really have it. As a christian you do need to be loving and kind and patient with those who drive you absolutely banana sandwhich. God puts those people in your life so you can conform to christ and grow the fruit of the spirit and learn to love anyone no matter if they push your buttons. Even if it is for the sake of everybody else them seeing you being kind and patient with that person will let them know who you are really living for.

[GoGo]

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:33 am
[GoGo]

Well clearly if someone is uncomfortable with people cursing around them, I'm not going to do it. That's just common courtesy.

There's also certain situations in which cursing is clearly appropriate or not. When I'm teaching at the children's theatre? Not. At church? Not. Hanging around with my roommates in my apartment. I don't see a problem. It's not like a swear excessively or anything, sometimes those are just the best words to use. Most people have told me I have a "quiet faith" and apparently my dropping a four letter word every now and then hasn't hindered that. Of course, I'm also very open about my faith and beliefs is asked, so this may also be part of that.

My point is no one has seen me as a bad Christian because I swear occasionally. They're just words, and I don't really see a problem with them when used sparingly and appropriately.

Though I will say we're probably won't ever really agree on this. Just from reading some of your posts I think we just have very different views on Christianity, etc. It's fine, but I think we'll just have to agree to disagree in most instances, including this one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:48 am
[GoGo]

Colossians 3:8 "But now is the time to get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language."
That was the passage i was refering to before.
And there is never a time to let somebody really have it. As a christian you do need to be loving and kind and patient with those who drive you absolutely banana sandwhich. God puts those people in your life so you can conform to christ and grow the fruit of the spirit and learn to love anyone no matter if they push your buttons. Even if it is for the sake of everybody else them seeing you being kind and patient with that person will let them know who you are really living for.

Haa, that's true. As freelance said, we're all kinda haveing different points of views, different stages on our walk here, and we aren't all going to have the same point of view. I really don't think that God looks at our language, what u guys are saying is right; it's the intentions that truly matter, but really, who it does effect are people around us. They look at our language, phrases, what we do and say, and they judge what a 'christian' is from us! It's the difference between being someone being openly comfortable with you when you're talking to them about the actual important matters, or them being absolutely convinced that all Christians are hypocrites. Sometimes it's important for us to make personal sacrafises. I really can't say anything more because I found that all the things I was going to say were brought up in this one post! Good one!!  

viper_353

[GoGo]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:14 pm

Lol yes this is a topic that we probably will never agree on but hey we both love Jesus so who cares right? ; ) But i do see where you are coming from, its just from personal experience with people if i utter a curse word they flip out and say WAY TO GO CHRISTIAN. Humans in general are just ignorant lol.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:44 am
[GoGo]

Lol yes this is a topic that we probably will never agree on but hey we both love Jesus so who cares right? ; ) But i do see where you are coming from, its just from personal experience with people if i utter a curse word they flip out and say WAY TO GO CHRISTIAN. Humans in general are just ignorant lol.

Ah, see I've never encountered that. Of course, I probably associate with very different people than you. The theatre consists of a lot of people of different faiths, including atheists and agnostics. Most of them swear much more than me, so my fairly infrequent swearing seems like nothing.

The only time people ever freaked out about me swearing was in high school, and that was more because I never swore at all, so it just caught people off guard. I think a lot of it depends on what circles you frequent.

freelance lover
Crew

Eykos

1,300 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:12 pm
viper_353
Hey, I was just wondering--it's kinda known as a Christian thing not to swear. I know a lot of Christians who do swear, and I personally don't, but some people have told me that they recognize Christians sometimes by the fact that they just don't. So, I was wondering--what are your thoughts on swearing, and why should we do/not do it?

I would answer like this.

As Christians, we are called to to be "Dead to this world", different, a new creation..

..a big, fat, flashing sign pointing the way to the One we serve..

..the more we make compromises in the name of comfort, or fitting in, or self gratification..

..the less "flashy" of a sign we become.

I'd be very wary of crossing any line that would put my witness in jeopardy simply for the sake of being able to..

..even if profanity is not a sin, it is certainly not of God.

Ask yourself, which sacrifice would do more to further the Kingdom of God?

Taking on the burden of convincing every non-Christian that hears you profane that profanity is not against scripture so that they do not hold it against you when your faith is on trial?...

...or giving up profanity altogether?

May the Lord grant you the wisdom to realise His will for you in this matter.

Peace.
smile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:41 pm
viper_353
Hey, I was just wondering--it's kinda known as a Christian thing not to swear. I know a lot of Christians who do swear, and I personally don't, but some people have told me that they recognize Christians sometimes by the fact that they just don't. So, I was wondering--what are your thoughts on swearing, and why should we do/not do it?

People express themselves in different ways, I see no problem with the use of profanity. Harsh language is even used in the bible especially for rebuking.  

Semiremis

Eykos

1,300 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:30 am
"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." -Philippians 4:8

This is along the lines of what I was getting at with my last post.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:13 am
Well my family is Catholic, so basically we drink, we gamble, we swear. lol
I'm just kidding. But I swear, it just comes out. I don't think God mindes, as long as I don't take His name in vain.

isabella jolie

3,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Priestley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:21 am
Eykos
"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." -Philippians 4:8

What of God desiring mercy and not sacrifice?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:18 pm
Priestley
Eykos

What of God desiring mercy and not sacrifice?

Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
-Mark 8:34  

Eykos

1,300 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Ransom3d

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:00 pm
I'm plain alright w/ swearing. I mostly swear when I joke around. The only flaw in that is if you swear and you're intention is hateful, then it is sin.  

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games