Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
NASA moon mess Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you feel about the matter?
  who cares!?
  excited!! :D
  Appalled!!
View Results

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:43 am
Collowrath
My man

I'm doing a doubletake on this one.
Is that a colloqualisim for something else wherever you are or are you non-heterosexual/a woman?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:00 am
So, apparantly, everything worked.
Only it didn't.
The plume was missing.
Thermal imaging says the bomb went off, but no eruption.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:04 am
CuAnnan
Celeblin Galadeneryn
CuAnnan
"The exploration and use of the moon shall be the province of all mankind and shall be carried out for the benefit and in the interests of all countries, irrespective of their degree of economic or scientific development. Due regard shall be paid to the interests of present and future generations as well as to the need to promote higher standards of living and conditions of economic and social progress and development in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations."

This old argument has been fought over a while ago.

Fiddler, why does surface drilling on the Moon concern you more than surface drilling on the Earth or are you equally concerned.
Would it have something to do with how drilling on earth still means that whatever was drilled is still on earth, but drilling on the moon and bringing it back is a shift in mass?

But such changes in mass happen all the time.
The moon is frequently hit by meteors, knocking lumps of it off into space and leaving their own debree.
It's been a long time since I studied atomic physics, but if I recall correctly, the earth, herself, has a mass change in the form of nuclear conversions in her core.
Cool, just seeing if that would be a reason at all.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:30 pm
CuAnnan
Collowrath
My man

I'm doing a doubletake on this one.
Is that a colloqualisim for something else wherever you are or are you non-heterosexual/a woman?

I'm not certain what Collowrath meant it as, but I know that calling persons such in my area is just as likely to mean 'lover' as it is to mean 'good buddy' or 'person I admire and support.'

@ Collowrath - May I refer to you as Col?  

Aino Ailill

Collowrath

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:51 pm
Yes, Aino, you can call me Col. biggrin

CĂșAnnan, I'm not heterosexually inclined. I was referring to my partner. I'm a man. sweatdrop

I was mildly disappointed that we couldn't see anything happening. :/  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:01 pm
CuAnnan
"The exploration and use of the moon shall be the province of all mankind and shall be carried out for the benefit and in the interests of all countries, irrespective of their degree of economic or scientific development. Due regard shall be paid to the interests of present and future generations as well as to the need to promote higher standards of living and conditions of economic and social progress and development in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations."

Fiddler, why does surface drilling on the Moon concern you more than surface drilling on the Earth or are you equally concerned.

We have defiled this world enough. However, at least it was our native environ which we have befouled. I don't have the time or space to articulate my rage over the abuse we have inflicted on our own home. But we have gone from mining our mother for spare organs to mining more distant relatives now.
However, now we are letting our failures leave the kitchen and are grasping outward. As our modern politics demonstrate, we will use lethal force to obtain natural resources from other locations. I am concerned that this is going to set the tone for any future exploration in space we might have.
Furthermore, The speech up there talks a good game, but let's see how it pans out in another 8 years when my nation unfortunately swings back to an attitude of fug the U.N. Especially if we already have interests on the moon. Also, as has been demonstrated in Iraq, private corporations don't care about international law unless it can be enforced with more might than their mercenaries bring to bear. This is conflict waiting to happen.
Keep in mind how mindful of U.N. resolutions, or even their own previous promises the space faring nations of the world have been historically. Expecting the U.N. to prevent this from being a quagmire without constant and direct meddling strikes me as like expecting the League of Nations to protect Finland or Poland and prevent another great war.
The general failure of the expedition, in that the plume wasn't nearly what was expected should signal that we don't know enough about where we are pillaging to pillage propperly. Hopefully this will lead to re-evaluation and some real study, rather than more bombardment. If we can recollect at this point, then mayhaps there will be at least some responsibility. I mean, if you are going to go raiding, do it right at least.

If you want to get into the mystical side effects of how this animist feels... well... I am not emotionally composed enough to articulate my observations in a manner that is concordant with my own standards of behavior and the rules of this culture.
If you want this Geomancer's position... well... I'm not sure I can sufficiently articulate how phenomenally foolish contaminating the already maligned vis web of our own world with displaced vis, or the damaging effects we may or may not be having on our orbital vis web.

As far as the handwaving that objects strike the moon all the time, that is true. And we have had several events in our own world which were cataclysmic. Should we engineer those as well? I am still trying to find projections on how some of those large craters historically impacted the moons orbit.

So, on a political level, I am worried.
On a mystical level, I am enraged.
On a scientific level, I am cautiously disappointed.  

Fiddlers Green

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:13 pm
CuAnnan
Only it didn't.
The plume was missing.

on an episode of something on the history channel it stated that explosions appear differently in space than on earth due to lack of an atmosphere.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:25 pm
whiporwill-o
CuAnnan
Only it didn't.
The plume was missing.

on an episode of something on the history channel it stated that explosions appear differently in space than on earth due to lack of an atmosphere.

I am well aware. There should have been a visible plume.
With no atmosphere to provide friction, the plume should have been spectacular.
They were expecting a plume.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:26 pm
Fiddlers Green

Gotcha.
See prior live journal entry as explanation as to why I'm unphased.
Not much phases me at the moment.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:01 pm
CuAnnan
whiporwill-o
CuAnnan
Only it didn't.
The plume was missing.

i see, my mistake.  

whiporwill-o

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:05 pm
whiporwill-o
CuAnnan
whiporwill-o
CuAnnan
Only it didn't.
The plume was missing.

i see, my mistake.

Sorry, I re-read my post.
It came across as somewhat abrasive.
That was not my intention.
I was just trying to get across that it should have been spectacular. They designed the bomb to get the plumage out to the point it could easily be analysed spectrographically (if I remember correctly).
The fact that nothing happened is, I believe, the defiance of the moon.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:23 pm
CuAnnan
whiporwill-o
CuAnnan
whiporwill-o
CuAnnan
Only it didn't.
The plume was missing.

i see, my mistake.

Sorry, I re-read my post.
It came across as somewhat abrasive.
That was not my intention.
I was just trying to get across that it should have been spectacular. They designed the bomb to get the plumage out to the point it could easily be analysed spectrographically (if I remember correctly).
The fact that nothing happened is, I believe, the defiance of the moon.

i can see why, i'd be fairly pissed if someone was blowing a hole in my side. ninja  

whiporwill-o

DemoniaFairy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:46 am
Fiddlers Green
CuAnnan

We have defiled this world enough. However, at least it was our native environ which we have befouled. I don't have the time or space to articulate my rage over the abuse we have inflicted on our own home. But we have gone from mining our mother for spare organs to mining more distant relatives now.
However, now we are letting our failures leave the kitchen and are grasping outward. As our modern politics demonstrate, we will use lethal force to obtain natural resources from other locations. I am concerned that this is going to set the tone for any future exploration in space we might have.
Furthermore, The speech up there talks a good game, but let's see how it pans out in another 8 years when my nation unfortunately swings back to an attitude of fug the U.N. Especially if we already have interests on the moon. Also, as has been demonstrated in Iraq, private corporations don't care about international law unless it can be enforced with more might than their mercenaries bring to bear. This is conflict waiting to happen.
Keep in mind how mindful of U.N. resolutions, or even their own previous promises the space faring nations of the world have been historically. Expecting the U.N. to prevent this from being a quagmire without constant and direct meddling strikes me as like expecting the League of Nations to protect Finland or Poland and prevent another great war.
The general failure of the expedition, in that the plume wasn't nearly what was expected should signal that we don't know enough about where we are pillaging to pillage propperly. Hopefully this will lead to re-evaluation and some real study, rather than more bombardment. If we can recollect at this point, then mayhaps there will be at least some responsibility. I mean, if you are going to go raiding, do it right at least.

If you want to get into the mystical side effects of how this animist feels... well... I am not emotionally composed enough to articulate my observations in a manner that is concordant with my own standards of behavior and the rules of this culture.
If you want this Geomancer's position... well... I'm not sure I can sufficiently articulate how phenomenally foolish contaminating the already maligned vis web of our own world with displaced vis, or the damaging effects we may or may not be having on our orbital vis web.

As far as the handwaving that objects strike the moon all the time, that is true. And we have had several events in our own world which were cataclysmic. Should we engineer those as well? I am still trying to find projections on how some of those large craters historically impacted the moons orbit.

You have just very closely reflected plenty of my own worries, except I really don't know where I stand on the issue. I've read more on the situation and I really don't know whether to be happy, sad... or what.... mixed emotions I suppose... question  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:56 am
Fiddlers Green

I feel much the same way, I've just been avoiding this topic as I really don't feel like getting myself all upset about something that I can't do anything about at this point.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:46 pm
I have mixed feelings on the whole thing as well. I thought it was sort of ironic that where I live the moon was a reddish color the night after the "bombing", and with the phase it was in, it actually looked sort of like an angry eye looking down at us.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff