Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Demons, the malevolent kind Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you believe in overtly malevolent noncorporeal entities?
  Yes (And they randomly atteck 15 year olds)
  Yes (but for the most part they stick to themselves, unless invited in)
  No
View Results

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:33 pm
TeaDidikai
Aino Ailill

Is the religion itself entirely about the rape of little kids? That and nothing else?
Pretty much. See, since it's pretty much Standing Stone + Child Molestation, you can cut away the child rape and review Standing Stone alone.

Quote:
Even if it is, not demonizing sex could be considered a 'point of merit,' though that should not, in any way, be taken as condoning their abuse.
Since there are sex positive religious positions independent of raping children, I'd say that we can skip that shoehorned sense of merit and apply it where it belongs.

The claim wasn't that the religions offered a unique point of merit, only that no religion was, entirely, wrong. So, if it is the Standing Stone Tradition + Revolting Practice, and the Standing Stone Tradition is not entirely wrong, then neither are the Frosts, even though what they are not wrong in is something not unique to them and, in fact, taken from another.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:34 pm
Quote:
Ah, I didn't mean 'race' as in 'Caucasian' but as in 'the Race of Man.'

Hm, maybe I'm in too many anthro classes this semester.  

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:58 pm
Aino Ailill

The claim wasn't that the religions offered a unique point of merit, only that no religion was, entirely, wrong.
Which is still an argument from ignorance all the same.
Quote:

So, if it is the Standing Stone Tradition + Revolting Practice, and the Standing Stone Tradition is not entirely wrong, then neither are the Frosts,
You and I disagree on this position, especially since child molestation isn't consistent with Standing Stone.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:36 pm
Aino Ailill
So, on a broad spectrum, it would be correct to define a demon as a race which largely performs acts that are detrimental to humans (be it physically harmful or promoting falsehood), malice is optional?

Demon is, largely, a word broadly applied to a number of different things in poor translation (I can't say if it's only an English word though). Quite honestly, it doesn't seem wise to apply the word demon except for the things that literally require that label as per their etymology (original meaning of demon compared to meaning of other word).

Lacking such a connection, it's better to just use the culture's word. I had this same argument with DF (although much less civilly because she seriously stepped over some lines) on whether every magic practice in the world should be called witchcraft. It's pretty culturocentric to try to apply that word to every magic practice and frankly a serious problem in terms of cultural erasure.

bondage bunnie
Recursive Paradox

bondage bunnie
There is no single world view or religion that can be all correct

I find it distinctly amusing that you make an assertion as per your world view that immediately negates itself logically.

It's like the people who make objective reality claims about how all of reality is subjective. The irony. It poisons me with hilarity.

Ok so you kind of understand what im saying then, but then completely missed the point.

Your point, in and of itself is self contradicting. You basically put forth no content of worth.

Quote:
And yes I think religion is Nihilistic.

Do you actually know what Nihilism is?

Quote:
Doesn't stop me from having one.

I wouldn't see how it would until I know exactly what definition you apply to Nihilism.

Quote:
On a philosophical level "There is no world view that can be completely correct." the thesis fail its initial idea for it is a defeatist statement.

No, it is a logically self contradictory statement. "No world view" is an absolute statement regarding world views, an absolute statement by the way that is a part of your world view (so you are making this statement about yours as well). "That can be completely correct" is the applied state to all world views, including yours. Which means there is a distinct possibility that the part of your world view that is incorrect (as per your claim) is the part in which you make an absolute statement that no world views are able to be completely correct.

Self negation. It isn't defeatist, it's just the most easily defined form of epic wrong philosophy has to offer.

Quote:
All i have to say is when someone comes up to me and says "I have all the answers", I respond with "Credible sources required."

This is irrelevant to your self negating statement.  

Recursive Paradox

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:43 pm
demisara

Also there's no such thing as race. kthnxbye

*facepalm*

Socially constructed things still exist. They are still real. If they did not exist, if they were not real then they would have no measurable effect. Socially constructed just means they lack a biological basis and aren't inherent. Stop using metaphysics wrong. Please. People doing this drives me up the wall.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:46 pm
CuAnnan

Can someone translate this into English, please? Apart from the first paragraph, I can't dissemble it.

I almost want to say that bunnie used defeatist to mean self negating but then there was that giant non sequitur and the whole house of cards came tumbling down.  

Recursive Paradox

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:34 pm
Recursive Paradox
Aino Ailill
So, on a broad spectrum, it would be correct to define a demon as a race which largely performs acts that are detrimental to humans (be it physically harmful or promoting falsehood), malice is optional?

Demon is, largely, a word broadly applied to a number of different things in poor translation (I can't say if it's only an English word though). Quite honestly, it doesn't seem wise to apply the word demon except for the things that literally require that label as per their etymology (original meaning of demon compared to meaning of other word).

Lacking such a connection, it's better to just use the culture's word. I had this same argument with DF (although much less civilly because she seriously stepped over some lines) on whether every magic practice in the world should be called witchcraft. It's pretty culturocentric to try to apply that word to every magic practice and frankly a serious problem in terms of cultural erasure.

Am I supposed to know this 'DF?'

I can see the wisdom in your argument. Thanks. heart

Edited.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:43 pm
Aino Ailill
demisara
Aino Ailill
demisara
CuAnnan

I don't know that you can do that.
Each religion would define demons, or their analogs, differently and attempting to fit them under one definition would create a word who's meaning is so vague that it undermines the word itself.

Also, I'm not sure 'race' is the word you really want to use there. It implies a common origin of all these beings, as well as a separation from all other spiritual beings. Speciation, as it were. Unless you want to go with the ethnic definition of race, which would also be difficult to apply.

My use of 'race' was not to imply that all demons were of a single common ancestry but all demons belonged to a common ancestry (or related group, as they may not reproduce), of which there may be many.

Say, cats, mice, and gerbils are demons. They are not related to each other (well, they're mammals but meh) but they might each be called 'demon' in that they are, as a species, inclined to bring Man to harm.

So, yes, speciation. So, what is the issue with this?

No issue, I was just trying to clarify your meaning. I don't have much experience with this sort of being, so I can't comment.

Quote:
Quote:

Proof, pl0x.

The American Anthropological Association's stance
So yeah, it's culturally constructed, and you can't make generalizations (biological or cultural) based on it. Skin tone can tell you nothing about a person. Ethnicity, now that's a whole other matter.

Ah, I didn't mean 'race' as in 'Caucasian' but as in 'the Race of Man.'

OED:

3. Any of the major divisions into which living creatures may be separated. (Chiefly not in technical use.) Cf. KIND n. 10.

a. A class, kind, or species of beings other than humans or animals.

b. The class of humans; mankind. Formerly freq. with the.

c. The kind or class to which similar animals or plants belong.

In the OED, there are eight separate entries for 'race' as a noun and twelve when including the adjectives (2) and verbs (4)!
And the one you're talking about has like, what, 4 ******** parts to it and 12 odd entries between them.

Race: It's a big a** word.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:49 pm
Recursive Paradox
demisara

*facepalm*

Socially constructed things still exist. They are still real. If they did not exist, if they were not real then they would have no measurable effect. Socially constructed just means they lack a biological basis and aren't inherent. Stop using metaphysics wrong. Please. People doing this drives me up the wall.

You're right, I'm just used to explaining anthropology to Arkansans. We're ranked 49th public education system in the states, you know. Try using the phrase "culturally constructed" on the street in lower Arkansas. Just try.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:12 pm
Aino Ailill
Recursive Paradox
Aino Ailill

Am I supposed to know this 'DF?'

Nah. Just me ranting about her being a colossal culturocentric a*****e.

Quote:
I can see the wisdom in not your argument. Thanks. heart

"In not" my argument? o_O

demisara

You're right, I'm just used to explaining anthropology to Arkansans. We're ranked 49th public education system in the states, you know. Try using the phrase "culturally constructed" on the street in lower Arkansas. Just try.

...I do not envy you.  

Recursive Paradox

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:18 pm
Recursive Paradox
Aino Ailill

Erm...yeah. I'ma edit that now.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:05 pm
Aino Ailill
Recursive Paradox
Aino Ailill

Erm...yeah. I'ma edit that now.

I was very confused. XD

I was like, "wait, is she being sarcastic? Typo? ....wuuuuuaaaaaahhhh?"  

Recursive Paradox

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:09 pm
You know why I love this guild? This is why I love this guild -- because if someone explains something better, we admit that they are right.

Keep on keeping on, people.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:36 pm
Nihilistic the subject's status is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value. I use it in the sense it doesn't matter what you believe the value isn't the religion itself its the belief in something. I guess further explanation is warranted.  

bondage bunnie

4,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:39 pm
bondage bunnie
Nihilistic the subject's status is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value.

Okay.

Quote:
I use it in the sense it doesn't matter what you believe the value isn't the religion itself its the belief in something.

This application of the word Nihilistic (as you defined it) to religion assumes the following:

1) That the value of simply having a belief overcomes the lowering of value that a false, delusional or damaging belief has or the lowering of value that a damaging, marginalizing or delusion inducing religion has.

2) That the actual beliefs of a religion can't possess value.

3) That the functionality of a religion can't possess value

Assumptions 1-3 have not been established as true, which negates the accuracy of your statement.

Quote:
I guess further explanation is warranted.

It certainly was.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces