Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Fergi's Mentor Thread- No Slots Open, But Open for Critiques Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Best Style of Art?
  Anime/ Manga
  Cartoony
  Western Comic Book
  "The Masters" , i.e. Michelango, etc.
  Misc
  ALL ART! :D
View Results

~FergiGirl~

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:27 pm
That's awesome! biggrin
Santa normally doesn't read my mind very well. Maybe because there is so little of it left rofl

It may take awhile before your practice shows through. Drawing isn't something you can master in a month. It's taken me 5 years to get where I am now, and I still have a very long way to go. I was mostly stumbling along the way, no idea which way I should go ^^; At least you all got this awesome guild to show you the way XD  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:44 pm
Yesh, tis an awesome thing <3  

Tiara_Estella

Shirtless Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150

~FergiGirl~

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:34 pm
Proof that I've been drawing for 5 years now XD teh Proof
Did a meme and wanted to share with you all. I went through sooooo many bumps in trying to find a unique style it's not even funny >.<;;
Hopefully it won't you all nearly as long to get where I am, but I know for sure it's still going to be alot of work! >.<;;;  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:41 pm
Ehmm...
It apears I have also jumped onto that "bandwagon" you mentioned somewhere on this thread. -hides in corner-
I thought I might as well tell you I have not really done much yet, only a couple of faces. OTL
I'm still willing to do the assignments but if it's been too long you can fire me (If fire is the right word in this case).
If not I can upload the faces I have done so far and slowly add things as I finish (I'll try to be faster but it takes me about 4 hours for each face). I want to be able to draw faster.

Happy late new year? sweatdrop

A--Minty_Fresh--Mint

~FergiGirl~

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:14 pm
A--Minty_Fresh--Mint
Ehmm...
It apears I have also jumped onto that "bandwagon" you mentioned somewhere on this thread. -hides in corner-
I thought I might as well tell you I have not really done much yet, only a couple of faces. OTL
I'm still willing to do the assignments but if it's been too long you can fire me (If fire is the right word in this case).
If not I can upload the faces I have done so far and slowly add things as I finish (I'll try to be faster but it takes me about 4 hours for each face). I want to be able to draw faster.

Happy late new year? sweatdrop
Don't worry, no one else has uploaded anything either rofl . I am concerned about the 4 hours a face thing though. What are you doing to them? eek
It just has to be a quick sketch, not even with shading. Guess I should of mentioned that sweatdrop

One of the things I hope to teach you all is speed. If you can learn to sketch quickly now, it will help immensely later on in your drawing career/hobby/ whatever. If I can get my camera to work and somehow rig it so I can draw and record at the same time, I'll show you how my process of drawing 3nodding

Don't give up, if you've got more than one face done with fours hours into each face, you definitely have the patience for drawing 3nodding heart  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:45 pm
Here is along the lines of what I'm talking about. This guy probably has more years of experience than either of us, so naturally he is better and faster. There's a saying on DA it took 15 years to be able to draw that in 15 minutes, meaning that it takes a lot of practice to be able to do that, but it will be pay off in the long run (not meaning that it will literally take you 15 years to learn, just a really long time XD ).

I still feel like doing a video tutorial though XD
I dug up my camera and everything >>;

Maybe you'll be less intimadated by how I sketch than by how he sketches rofl OTL  

~FergiGirl~

A--Minty_Fresh--Mint

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:04 am
That video was awesome. I love watching people draw. You should totally make a video tutorial, I'll definately watch it! =)
On that note...I can't believe I haven't watched you on deviantArt yet! I'll go fix that now.
I am going to upload some pictures today just a little bit later. -fails-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:28 pm
A--Minty_Fresh--Mint
That video was awesome. I love watching people draw. You should totally make a video tutorial, I'll definately watch it! =)
On that note...I can't believe I haven't watched you on deviantArt yet! I'll go fix that now.
I am going to upload some pictures today just a little bit later. -fails-
I tried it out, but apparently I have a rather old camera. It's digital, but the movie file isn't compatible with windows movie maker rofl
Oh well. Maybe I can make a tut and time myself xd
You're doing pretty good smile
keep it up 3nodding

~FergiGirl~

Tiara_Estella

Shirtless Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:23 am
Just a post to let you know that I am alive and practicing.
I sorta got grounded....
so I can't post any images up...
since I can't use my laptop...
so...yeah...

-awkward-

but uh...

I'll be checking the lessons and looking at everything here and shall continue my very slow paced practice xD  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:11 pm
Tiara_Estella
Just a post to let you know that I am alive and practicing.
I sorta got grounded....
so I can't post any images up...
since I can't use my laptop...
so...yeah...

-awkward-

but uh...

I'll be checking the lessons and looking at everything here and shall continue my very slow paced practice xD
How long are you grounded?

I realize it can't be helped, but it's a little frustrating to me that it seems like no progress has been made since I started this thread. I made this thread to help, but I've not helped a whole lot ;^;

I was thinking of adding some rules. I hoped I wouldn't have to, but it's come to this.
You can still be a mentee as long as you can still access the internet, check in with me every week or so, and do the lessons alongside us. Once you are able to upload, upload all that you have done to that point.
I might start assigning projects and due dates, but only when I talk it out with you all to come up with a reasonable date.
I'll make the lessons smaller, but in exchange I'll expect them done quicker (hopefully before the next lesson)

I realize that you all have lives, heck I'm currently struggling with mine as it is. Scholarships, colleges, AP art concentrations, art trades, contests, schoolwork, and on top of that I normally am the only one cooking and cleaning at my house.

If I don't hear from a mentee for more than a month, said mentee will be off the list. Like I said before, I realize you all have lives of your own, but if it's to the point where you can't contact me for a month, then you probably don't have the time to do lessons.

You can keep from going off the mentee list by contacting me, either by PM, posting here, or contacting me on my DA.

Any mentee that got put off the list may request to be put back on once they feel they are to commit their time.Don't waste my time by reappling and not doing anything. If you do so enough, I may not let you on the list again.

I'll put the next lesson up tomorrow.  

~FergiGirl~

~FergiGirl~

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:19 pm
I'm sorry that I had to apply rules, but they shouldn't affect you too much if you're serious about this.

New lesson time.

This is rather short, so I expect you to be able to do it. In fact, even if you're any over achiever, it should only take 5-10 minutes. This lesson revolves around the body as a whole. I was thinking about teaching proportion, but how about we make this week a pre-test of sorts? I want to see how confident you are with the human body, how you can handle gesture drawing, and how dedicated you all are to this mentee/mentor thing.

I want you all to do five to ten gesture drawings, like this. If you do it from posemaniacs, the most time it could take you is, well, 5 minutes for the bare minimum if done at 60 secs a sketch.

Since I personally quite enjoy gesture drawings, I went ahead and did about 17 of them. That sounds like alot, but since most of them are 30 sec, it probably took me 8-10 minutes total.

If you're serious about art, you should be doing this everyday, maybe 5 or 10 a day.

I'll be honest and say that I've not been doing them everyday, but I will try and make myself do them everyday, maybe in the mornings. I heard it's easier to establish habits in the morning, but I don't know how true that is.

Since I didn't go into hair in the last lessons, I've made a mini-lesson on hair, I'll try and get it done by tonight. (which means I'll upload it in the morning).
~Edit~ ok I'll upload it afterschool, won't have enough time in the morning ><;
oh, and if you have trouble finding models to gesture draw from, go here and click on 30 sec drawing. You can change the amount of time you need, but I advise you always keep looking at the screen because it will change without warning.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:08 am
<.< >.> <.< >.>
Extra tuturial for the other lessons (the previous ones)

http://crysa.deviantart.com/art/Drawing-Anime-Faces-Tutorial-27409024  

Tiara_Estella

Shirtless Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150

~FergiGirl~

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:26 pm
Tiara_Estella
<.< >.> <.< >.>

-sigh-

That's not what I want you all to learn. I don't want you all to learn to copy a certain style, I want you all to come up with your own style. I realize that when first starting out drawing, you tend to try to copy others to learn, though some people overdo it and don't learn when to quit copying and start actually drawing.

Look at my stuff here. I know it's not the best, but for the most part you can tell it's mine , not Masashi Kisimoto's, not Tite Kubo's, not any other person on DA. I have sort of come up with my own style, though it's constantly going through development.

I think newbies kind of abuse tutorials, especially on DA. There are some good tutorials out there, like the video tutorial I posted in this thread earlier, but most of them just encourage you to copy their style, whether it be their style of drawing, coloring, whatever.

Here's an example of what I think is a helpful tutorial: This one

It doesn't have anything to do with a certain style or how to draw something, but has some good tips that an artist of any skill level could use.

While I'm ranting, I should probably explain why I've not been on that much. I've grown tired of inactivity in this thread- it seems like there's always something popping up that hinders someone from doing lessons. I realize I'm no one to talk, but at least I can admit it.

I'll really try to be more active, but it's probably not helping that I've grown tired of Gaia in general. I'm more of a Deviant than anything else.

The best advice I can give you is to keep practicing. If you say "well, what am I supposed to draw?", then my response is to draw anything and everything. Draw the clouds in the sky, draw the people sitting across from on the bus, draw your cat, whatever.

Believe it or not, that's your first step to actually being an artist, not those silly tutorials. Don't believe me? Look here at the imaginisim website. Those artists are rather famous (I think they're involved with the Alice and Wonderland Movie that's coming out soon), and they actually have a set date they go and sketch random people on the subway.

Am I making any sense at all to you, or this just words on the screen?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm
Tiara_Estella
<.< >.> <.< >.>

For further clarification, you can look at a post in this very guild.  

~FergiGirl~

Tiara_Estella

Shirtless Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:21 pm
-feels slightly insulted-
Uhm I understood you and I had already read that post and agreed with it. Furthermore I posted up the link as an example not a model. I like to see different stylings from different artists so that I can expand my vision as to how I can adjust my own skills. Rather than learning one form and redoing it a thousand times over with small variations.

^^ so yea, just wanted to clear that up.

I am very active, just unable to post anything (picture-wise). I actually pop in here atleast 1-2 times per day unsure of what to write o-o;;;;  
Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff