Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
What is Reiki Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:19 am
Morphenius

Does Reiki account for this? Or does Reiki just kill someone who is in danger of having a heart attack?
Reiki's prime application is to "heal".

Within that- if the body is completely beyond repair that will return the individual to health so that they can continue to function, it can end the life.

For example, someone in the early stages of HIV will not fall over dead from a Reiki treatment. Someone who has advanced AIDS, one or more kinds of cancer that have consumed their tissue to the point where it cannot be salvaged and has some kind of nasty flu would likely pass should they recieve lots of Reiki.

Quote:

So, here's what my patterning mind devises from this: If at level 2 distance doesn't matter anymore, and at level 3 you can initiate people, can initiations be done long-distance?

If not, that suggests that there is some mechanical portion of initiation - that is, the body is physically altered in some way. This suggests that it might be possible to establish a mechanical process of making someone ready to receive their energetic attunement, at which point they just need the focus of any Reiki master.

Anything wrong with my reasoning here?
Remember the difference between a "spot" treatment and a full body treatment?

Long distance Reiki is more like a full body treatment in that the Reiki is sent, and it finds where it needs to go.

The last three glyphs a Master learns are used on specific parts of the body. wink I wasn't doing the Funky Chicken while I was standing behind you giving your attunements.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:11 pm
TeaDidikai
For example, someone in the early stages of HIV will not fall over dead from a Reiki treatment. Someone who has advanced AIDS, one or more kinds of cancer that have consumed their tissue to the point where it cannot be salvaged and has some kind of nasty flu would likely pass should they recieve lots of Reiki.

Hmm. Okay. I just have to wonder if this will change as technology changes. Someday advanced cancer will be curable, as will advanced AIDS. In that case, will Reiki adjust with the times or will we have to be careful with when we apply it?

TeaDidikai
Remember the difference between a "spot" treatment and a full body treatment?

Long distance Reiki is more like a full body treatment in that the Reiki is sent, and it finds where it needs to go.

Ah! Okay. Thank you!

TeaDidiKai
I wasn't doing the Funky Chicken while I was standing behind you giving your attunements.

rofl

"The Funky Chicken." That's going to give me giggle-fits for months.

Something just occurred to me, by the way. I picked up on a lot of Kiatsu rather quickly at first, and my best success with the discipline actually comes from when I ignore their instructions and I just "do it." I have to wonder how much of that is me unconsciously using Reiki. Hmm!  

Morphenius

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:17 pm
Morphenius

Hmm. Okay. I just have to wonder if this will change as technology changes. Someday advanced cancer will be curable, as will advanced AIDS. In that case, will Reiki adjust with the times or will we have to be careful with when we apply it?
I think it will likely be a function of applying Reiki with care. After all, it can cause miscarrage in large doses- and we know a fetus isn't a deadly parasite on GP.

Quote:

TeaDidiKai
I wasn't doing the Funky Chicken while I was standing behind you giving your attunements.

rofl

"The Funky Chicken." That's going to give me giggle-fits for months.
As it should.

Quote:
Something just occurred to me, by the way. I picked up on a lot of Kiatsu rather quickly at first, and my best success with the discipline actually comes from when I ignore their instructions and I just "do it." I have to wonder how much of that is me unconsciously using Reiki. Hmm!
Could you give me more details?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:45 pm
TeaDidikai
Morphenius

Yes, I could.

wink

Kiatsu is based on the idea that if you focus your mind, ki of the universe flows freely through you. Thus if you touch someone else without intention while retaining a focused mind, you can cause that ki to flow into them and engage their own ki flow. That helps them to connect to the universe and encourages the healing process.

What I find is that unless the person I'm working on has something to prove, it doesn't matter whether I carefully meditate or just keep myself generally calm. All that matters is that I not try to "push" energy into the person. I Connect, relax, and let the energy do its thing. Technically I'm supposed to run through some kind of kinesthetic visualization and then pass the effort off to my subconscious mind and then be aware of when my subconscious mind stops working. At that point I'm supposed to restart the meditation.

But most of the time I just don't care. I do it anyway and I ignore the meditation.

Now, admittedly, my results aren't as good as the people who espouse this particular form of focusing and have been doing it for 20+ years. One fellow (Calvin Tabata, head of the Oregon Ki Society) seems to be capable of erasing headaches, sciatica, joint problems and so forth in ways that are physically and visually obvious in a matter of seconds. Severe cases will sometimes require a few minutes. (By "severe" I mean things like major infections, broken bones, etc.) They don't always heal completely when he's done with them, but usually most of the pain is gone and they heal faster by orders of magnitude.

I sometimes get effects like that. But the other effects (like calming the mind, giving the person a sense of internal centering and peace, etc.) seem to come quite naturally to me just by not caring whether I'm doing what the Ki Society tells me to do. I just open up and let the universe do its thing.

Does that answer your question?  

Morphenius

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:22 pm
Morphenius
TeaDidikai
Morphenius

Yes, I could.

wink

Kiatsu is based on the idea that if you focus your mind, ki of the universe flows freely through you. Thus if you touch someone else without intention while retaining a focused mind, you can cause that ki to flow into them and engage their own ki flow. That helps them to connect to the universe and encourages the healing process.

What I find is that unless the person I'm working on has something to prove, it doesn't matter whether I carefully meditate or just keep myself generally calm. All that matters is that I not try to "push" energy into the person. I Connect, relax, and let the energy do its thing. Technically I'm supposed to run through some kind of kinesthetic visualization and then pass the effort off to my subconscious mind and then be aware of when my subconscious mind stops working. At that point I'm supposed to restart the meditation.

But most of the time I just don't care. I do it anyway and I ignore the meditation.

Now, admittedly, my results aren't as good as the people who espouse this particular form of focusing and have been doing it for 20+ years. One fellow (Calvin Tabata, head of the Oregon Ki Society) seems to be capable of erasing headaches, sciatica, joint problems and so forth in ways that are physically and visually obvious in a matter of seconds. Severe cases will sometimes require a few minutes. (By "severe" I mean things like major infections, broken bones, etc.) They don't always heal completely when he's done with them, but usually most of the pain is gone and they heal faster by orders of magnitude.

I sometimes get effects like that. But the other effects (like calming the mind, giving the person a sense of internal centering and peace, etc.) seem to come quite naturally to me just by not caring whether I'm doing what the Ki Society tells me to do. I just open up and let the universe do its thing.

Does that answer your question?
Hmmmm... next time you're up- show me okay? I'm curious.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:52 am
TeaDidikai
Hmmmm... next time you're up- show me okay? I'm curious.

Gladly. I can even teach you how to do Kiatsu. It's one of those things that anyone can learn in less than an hour with person-to-person instruction - but it takes a lifetime to master.

Or so goes the claim.  

Morphenius

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:50 pm
Morphenius

Gladly. I can even teach you how to do Kiatsu. It's one of those things that anyone can learn in less than an hour with person-to-person instruction - but it takes a lifetime to master.

Or so goes the claim.
Sounds interesting. Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:26 pm
Should one find a Reiki master, what would be good questions to ask to make sure the person has the correct qualifications? How would one go about checking their lineage(sp?)?  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:01 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
Should one find a Reiki master, what would be good questions to ask to make sure the person has the correct qualifications? How would one go about checking their lineage(sp?)?
I skipped this thread earlier and this was one of my questions as well upon reading it.

I suppose you would go about it the same way you'd go about verifying a Wiccan/coven's lineage? Check with other practitioners, and the next couple of steps up on your practitioner's lineage to see if they actually trained them, and so forth?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:16 am
TheDisreputableDog
Dragon_Witch_Woman
I skipped this thread earlier and this was one of my questions as well upon reading it.

I suppose you would go about it the same way you'd go about verifying a Wiccan/coven's lineage? Check with other practitioners, and the next couple of steps up on your practitioner's lineage to see if they actually trained them, and so forth?

It's about twice as easy with Reiki, though, because there's no secrecy about lineage.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Naynram Ukir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:30 pm
First actual question in this guild. xP

What exactly is an attunement? What would they have to do for you to be attuned? And could Reiki possibly be done without being attuned and innitiated or would that be different energy work in healing altogether?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:32 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman

Well, first step is to ask their tradition name, it's parent tradition and so on- then ask lineage.

As for checking lineage- it depends on the tradition. It's a dead giveaway if Usui isn't in there. wink But there are some sources one can use, I usually ask Dr. Staples (a local Master) when I am curious about someone's lineage. See if he has heard anything one way or the other.

TheDisreputableDog
Check with other practitioners, and the next couple of steps up on your practitioner's lineage to see if they actually trained them, and so forth?
After a fashion.

Do keep in mind however- that a lot of valid Masters have an attitude that is very much a function of antidisestablishmentarianism within the Reiki community.

Deoridhe

It's about twice as easy with Reiki, though, because there's no secrecy about lineage.
Yes and no.

For strong lineaged traditions (like mine- go fig, that's why I picked them), this is true. But then there are other lineaged traditions that this isn't the case for.

In the end, you have to decide if you want to go out on a limb and be initiated (and mayhaps pay for it) into a trad you cannot trace.  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:34 pm
riku4245

What exactly is an attunement?
The short and easy answer for someone who has never had it done is as follows:

Someone who is trained and has had attunements that allow them to properly move a "hyper-intensive" form of Reiki "drenches" the individual in Reiki in a specific way that allows them to become a conduit for Reiki, rather than absorb it like a sponge.

Quote:
What would they have to do for you to be attuned?

Within every tradition I am initiated into, you have to first spend at least a day cleaning out your own gunk on an energetic level. Otherwise the Reiki that is meant to attune you will be used to detox the individual instead.

After that, the first degree takes at least 24 hours and four individual "sessions" to complete. How it is done is something that is only taught to Reiki Masters.

Quote:
And could Reiki possibly be done without being attuned and innitiated
No.

Quote:
or would that be different energy work in healing altogether?
Yes.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:27 am
TeaDidikai
riku4245

What exactly is an attunement?
The short and easy answer for someone who has never had it done is as follows:

Someone who is trained and has had attunements that allow them to properly move a "hyper-intensive" form of Reiki "drenches" the individual in Reiki in a specific way that allows them to become a conduit for Reiki, rather than absorb it like a sponge.

You mean instead of just keeping the energy inside of them it'd be better used to go to another person easier? What would be the difference, before and after?

TeaDidikai
riku4245
What would they have to do for you to be attuned?

Within every tradition I am initiated into, you have to first spend at least a day cleaning out your own gunk on an energetic level. Otherwise the Reiki that is meant to attune you will be used to detox the individual instead.

After that, the first degree takes at least 24 hours and four individual "sessions" to complete. How it is done is something that is only taught to Reiki Masters.

I imagine to heal someone you'd first have to be healed yourself first. Is that what they're essentially doing? Sorry if I'm asking so many obvious answered questions. I just want to make sure I know how it works as best as I can.

TeaDidikai
riku4245
And could Reiki possibly be done without being attuned and innitiated
No.

TeaDidikai
riku4245
or would that be different energy work in healing altogether?
Yes.

What would it be called to be doing some other healing work other than Reiki, and how would it be done? If you don't mind me asking. See, I'm only 15 years old and I'm pretty sure I just can't go off and find a Reiki Master right away. xP But I would like to get some more information on healing magics. I'm just not sure where I'd start to do the research on it.

And thank you for helping me. I've seen you on alot of different threads that I've subscribed to. biggrin

Naynram Ukir

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:13 am
riku4245

You mean instead of just keeping the energy inside of them it'd be better used to go to another person easier? What would be the difference, before and after?
Picture if you will, a tube lined with a sponge.

You pour water on the outside of the tube, it washes the tube.

You want the tube to be able to funnel water to another tube. You start to pour water down the tube, but the sponge soaks it up.

Until you seal the sponge inside the tube, the sponge will only soak up the water.

Quote:
I imagine to heal someone you'd first have to be healed yourself first.
Not really. Again, this is because Reiki doesn't function on a "Humans say it should work as X- and thus it will". Reiki works as Reiki works. Humans work around it's short comings.

Reiki works by "pushing gunk out" and by "speeding up the healing process". If there is lots of gunk to push out, the Reiki that is meant to attune or- as noted above "seal the sponge", won't go towards the attunement, but towards the "sponge".

Quote:
What would it be called to be doing some other healing work other than Reiki,
Depends on the skill.

I practice a "Tea-Brand Healing with Touch", and a style my Baba taught me in addition to Reiki.

Quote:
and how would it be done?
Again, depends on the style.

My own personal style involves "finding the tangle" and "fixing it". ~shrugs~

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking. See, I'm only 15 years old and I'm pretty sure I just can't go off and find a Reiki Master right away. xP

Actually, I think I earned my First Degree when I was about your age if I recall correctly.

Quote:
But I would like to get some more information on healing magics. I'm just not sure where I'd start to do the research on it.
Funny thing that- I don't consider Reiki to be magic.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff