Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Tarot? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nines19

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:30 pm
TeaDidikai
Nines19
I was wondering if the "standard deck" of Tarot cards is the only common deck?
There are three "standards" within proper Tarot. There's the Rider-Waite, the Visconti-Sforza and the Thoth deck.

Rider-Waite is credited with the easy to read mass produced deck we're familiar with. The Visconti-Sforza deck is one of the oldest if not the actual oldest deck there is and features a minor arcana that depicts the number of items for the proper suit. Crowley had some opinions on the relation between Tarot and the paths between the Sephera within his brand of mysticism and as a result he swapped some things around, moving the Star and other major arcana cards to different places within his deck.

Thank you.
Does the Visconti-Sforza have the same major arcana cards as the Rider-Waite or are there different ones?

TeaDidikai
Nines19

Are there any unusual decks with interesting cards you've come across or heard of?
What do you consider "unusual"?

From what I'm familiar with, probably non-Rider-Waite based/influenced. Something that has different major arcana cards or different minor arcana suits, for example.

An additional, semi-off-topic question: Does anyone have an opinion on whether buying from a mass-produced source affects (or doesn't) one's ability to use the cards? (This question also applies to Ouija boards, if anyone would like to comment on that as well.)  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:28 pm
I believe the Thoth Tarot is a bit different in style to the Rider-Waite.

I 'spose I'll ask my question here since I don't want to make a whole new topic.
So I want to do my traditional clearing of all my Tarot decks.
Usually I do it by incense (Sandalwood) and placing them in order. But last year I ran into a mishap. Halfway through my first deck, the incense sparked my allergies and by the second deck I had to quit. (Note, I have 11+ decks)

So are there any other ways to clear a deck that are just as meaningful? I never clear them regularly so this anual cleansing is very important. I've heard smacking or slapping the deck clears them but is that mishandling/abusing the deck? (I personally believe decks should be handled respectfully to keep them in good condition)  

CilverCyanide

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:58 pm
Nines19

Does the Visconti-Sforza have the same major arcana cards as the Rider-Waite or are there different ones?
The Rider-Waite has the same cards in the same order, even if there are artistic liberties taken with the design.

Quote:
Something that has different major arcana cards or different minor arcana suits, for example.
I suppose there are degrees of different. For example, the Thoth Tarot swaps around some of the Major Arcana and there are some Minor Arcana that swap elemental correspondences around- most commonly flipping Sword and Stave.

Quote:
Does anyone have an opinion on whether buying from a mass-produced source affects (or doesn't) one's ability to use the cards? (This question also applies to Ouija boards, if anyone would like to comment on that as well.)
My opinion is that there is little to nothing "special" about any given tool- and all the best tools in the world will fall flat in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use them and someone who can practice can usually make due with whatever is to hand.

That said- I'm all for indulging a personal sense of style.

CilverCyanide

So are there any other ways to clear a deck that are just as meaningful?
That would completely depend on your tradition, wouldn't you say?
Quote:
I've heard smacking or slapping the deck clears them but is that mishandling/abusing the deck? (I personally believe decks should be handled respectfully to keep them in good condition)
Again, that would depend on tradition- that said, what makes you think that slapping a deck is abuse?

demisara

I know, thank you, it was a typo.
Just making sure.

Quote:
Okay, so I overgeneralized a bit...
A lot.
Quote:

I seem to be doing that a lot lately.
No worries.
Quote:

I'm wondering if you have any numbers, though.
Not to hand. Likely no one does, considering you'd have to catalog by publisher, country of origin, age- to say nothing of the fact that there are decks that had small runs and some that have completely disappeared.
Quote:

I'm only going on observations, but I'd be willing to bet that out of all the decks in actual use in the states, RW and RW-style decks are pretty dominant, and have been for long enough to make an impression. So I guess I meant contemporary (pop culture) standard.
I'm inclined to disagree. Rider-Waite and those based on the deck has a niche. Thoth has a niche, usually amongst CMers and Thelemites (in the rare case those two don't overlap). But by far, the most commonly produced deck was the IJJ, a reproduction of an 1860 tarot deck that US Games Inc first published. It's a Visconti-Sforza styled deck. The Rider-Waite based decks have decades of catching up to do before the sheer sales numbers overtake the older decks.

Might be worth nothing that the Tarot de Marseilles is another hugely popular Visconti-Sforza based deck- rivaling the popularity in the Americas of the Rider-Waite based decks.

Quote:

Well I've used several other decks with very different results. I've also let others use this one, but quite frankly I'm the best with the cards out of my close friends (they still use the LWB), and I wouldn't let anyone I'm not close to get their paws all over it. Also, when I read for someone, I try to let them make some of their own conclusions before I add my input, and I get a pretty consistent response. Something like, "Wow, that's not exactly the answer I was looking for, but I'll be damned if it isn't true." Do you have any suggestions for variables that I can eliminate?

Well, for a start, you might want to learn to correlate the actual meanings of the cards to their non-pictorial counterparts.

If nothing else, it might show the quality of your reading.

Quote:
Well, this is just one aspect of it. An application of a theory that has many applications in my life.
You didn't really follow the comment.

What makes you think that animism applies more heavily to things that are made by you than things made by others?

Quote:

A well made tool does carry an impression of its maker,
I hope not. I'd find it highly insulting to have a tool I bought from JoAnn's to carry the stress and turmoil of the individual who manufactured it.

Quote:
I also find the parallel to racism kind of unnecessary.

I found it completely necessary to be blunt.
You speak of animism, but ignore the soul of the things you speak of in favor of speaking of your expectations of them.
If the animistic principle- the spark of being is within these things- to suggest that it's mere design is what dictates it's passions is rather insulting.

Quote:

How so? I see the relationship between the deck and the reader as like that between the fiddle and the player. Both have their own qualities and strengths, and the music is where the two meet.

You
When I go to this deck with a question, it tells me exactly what I need to know, no more and no less, without sugarcoating anything.
See how that is a contradiction. It's telling you- you're not placing any importance on the reader or their skills.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:40 pm
The only Tarot deck I have and use is the Arthurian Deck, and then very rarely. We get along, though. It was a gift form my brother, and I love how they wove the stories into each card and the meanings.

I have a Cat Tarot deck that I received from my Best Friend upon her death. I believe it is waiting for the next person to go to.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:51 pm
Deoridhe

I have a Cat Tarot deck that I received from my Best Friend upon her death. I believe it is waiting for the next person to go to.
Which one?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:01 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Which one?

Ah.... it is figures as cats, and the art style is pointalism. I'm not sure of the full name of it,t hough it might be, "The Tarot of the Cat People."  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:14 pm
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Which one?

Ah.... it is figures as cats, and the art style is pointalism. I'm not sure of the full name of it,t hough it might be, "The Tarot of the Cat People."
Ah.
For some reason Cat of Silence sprang to mind. But something tells me those two wouldn't mix.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:24 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Which one?

Ah.
For some reason Cat of Silence sprang to mind. But something tells me those two wouldn't mix.

....no, I don't think so. But when I'm that way again I'll try to remember to bring it and people can meet it and see if anyone clicks.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:38 pm
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Which one?

Ah.

....no, I don't think so. But when I'm that way again I'll try to remember to bring it and people can meet it and see if anyone clicks.
So July of 2010! Awesome!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:50 pm
TeaDidikai
So July of 2010! Awesome!

July of 2010. I shall be saving and setting money aside!  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:33 pm
Deoridhe

July of 2010. I shall be saving and setting money aside!

Spiff.

Tell you what- if you keep an eye on me and remind me to actually make the frickin' art- I'll read with the deck I am making for you.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:50 pm
TeaDidikai
Tell you what- if you keep an eye on me and remind me to actually make the frickin' art- I'll read with the deck I am making for you.

!! I would love that!  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

CilverCyanide

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:01 pm
Tea~ I don't have any specific tradition. I'm just looking for an alternative way to clear my decks that works just as well.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:15 am
CilverCyanide
Tea~ I don't have any specific tradition. I'm just looking for an alternative way to clear my decks that works just as well.

Here's the thing.
If I have absolutely no context to work with- I can't offer alternatives.
In my sleep depted distracted state I can think of around twenty different solutions. Some of these solutions are disqualified because of the materials involved. Some of them are questionable. But without knowing what kind of purification processes you do- I can't recommend one over another.

So how about this- why not tell me what contaminated your deck to begin with?  

TeaDidikai

redtearsblackwings

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:38 pm
What is the best Tarot deck to learn from?
I havn't yet gotten to Tarot and theres so many decks that I'm starting to wonder what one would be the best to start with?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff