Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Err, Information Recommendations? ^^;; Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

O hai there! :3
  HI!! 8D
  Err... hi. n_n
View Results

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:39 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
Yes, the appropriation of Buddha into Hinduism WOULD be a case of cultural appropriation which is inconsistent on both ends.

Is it appropriation or Vedic commentary on Shramana tradition in the same way that the verses within the Qu'ran are Islamic commentary on Christian tradition?

I think a lot would depend on whether you were Buddhist or Hindu, and within those how ...the word coming to mind is "strict" but perhaps "precise" is more accurate you are as a religious person.

Buddha specifically refused to comment on the existence or lack thereof of Gods as the Buddha. He also contradicted and critiqued the Caste system which many Hindus still operate under, in particular by offering up one Dharma which even an Untouchable could hold to and which would allow for single-lifetime enlightenment/samsara/release from mana/etc....

As an outsider to both traditions, I viewed the move to claim Buddha as a face of Vishnu - much as I adore Vishnu and I do - as a way of undercutting and undermining the deeply radical critique Buddhism's structure made on thousands of years of Hinduism.

i am sure there are many within Hinduism who hold this belief without meaning to undermine the Buddha's teachings, just as I am sure there are many Buddhists who don't mind or consider the distinctions a nitpick which is brought about by attachment to mana instead of the release of attachment, and thus below/beyond their attention, but viewing both traditions as I do with curiosity, interest, and non-attachment to them, that is how the move appears to me.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:53 pm
One of the other criticisms offered that seems to have waned in controversy is the commentary on Animal Sacrifice.

There's a chance that my perception is colored by American expressions of both religions wherein even devout followers of Hinduism may not maintain Vedic Animal Sacrifices, and as a result, some of the tension isn't present.  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:55 pm
TeaDidikai
One of the other criticisms offered that seems to have waned in controversy is the commentary on Animal Sacrifice.

There's a chance that my perception is colored by American expressions of both religions wherein even devout followers of Hinduism may not maintain Vedic Animal Sacrifices, and as a result, some of the tension isn't present.

Could very well have; my stance comes form learning about both traditions independently then boggling when someone told me that Vishnu had Buddha as an Avatar. Took me a while to work out why my initial response was "boggle". In other words, I didn't actually study what any actual Hindus or Buddhists had to say, I just did a comparison of their statements and went "bwah?".  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:02 am
Deoridhe

Could very well have; my stance comes form learning about both traditions independently then boggling when someone told me that Vishnu had Buddha as an Avatar. Took me a while to work out why my initial response was "boggle". In other words, I didn't actually study what any actual Hindus or Buddhists had to say, I just did a comparison of their statements and went "bwah?".
Hmmmm...
My personal reactions have always been something along the lines of "Huh... well, I can see why you could view Buddha's heresy as being a test of faith." But then, I tend to do the same thing to Christendom in relation to the other Abrahamic Faiths. Again, I blame Paul.  

TeaDidikai

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:43 pm
-head meets desk-

I got lost in this chat. I also went to Border's, and apparently Gardner's books aren't in the store. =_= It can't even be thru inter-library loan.... ._.

I have to get it offline. -sigh-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:18 pm
City Dreamer

I got lost in this chat. I also went to Border's, and apparently Gardner's books aren't in the store. =_= It can't even be thru inter-library loan.... ._.

I have to get it offline. -sigh-
Borders can order it for you from the store and have it delivered to your home.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces