Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Moja Cesta, My Journey Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did this thread help you to understand my path better?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Collowrath

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:29 am
TeaDidikai
Collowrath

Often, there is an extension to this: There are many gods, including Christ, Perun, Morena, and Jarilo, but they are all emanations of a single being.
Actually, that's soft polytheism.
And Henotheism is closer to "There's an overarching deity who made the others. The others are how we connect to the Overarching Deity".

Ah. I will be more careful of my reading in the future. sweatdrop

I'm thinking I should take one of my reserved posts and explain the differing conceptions of deity within the context of Dveviere, historically and in modern thinking. It might also be worth doing if only to emphasize the variation and lack of formalization in Double Faith, and to show the deconstruction of it from an active pagan element to the syncretized, folk-Christianity in play now.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:01 pm
That would be an amazing read.  

TeaDidikai

srivonei

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:55 pm
Nice to finally see someone else with an interest in slavic neopaganism. My mother is Czech, and even though I lost my fluency when I started to go to school in America, I still remember a lot of Czech (for example, I could understand the title of this thread without translation), and there are a lot of things I read about Slavic neopaganism that I remember from children's fairy tales that she told me. You're right though, there is a mass of fakelore out there, didn't some Russian guys a hundred years ago forge a book claiming to be a historical account of Slavic paganism, or something like that?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 am
srivonei
Nice to finally see someone else with an interest in slavic neopaganism. My mother is Czech, and even though I lost my fluency when I started to go to school in America, I still remember a lot of Czech (for example, I could understand the title of this thread without translation), and there are a lot of things I read about Slavic neopaganism that I remember from children's fairy tales that she told me. You're right though, there is a mass of fakelore out there, didn't some Russian guys a hundred years ago forge a book claiming to be a historical account of Slavic paganism, or something like that?
You're thinking of the book of Veles, which, while it is not a historical text, may still be relevant to pagan traditions.  

TeaDidikai

Collowrath

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:43 am
srivonei
Nice to finally see someone else with an interest in slavic neopaganism. My mother is Czech, and even though I lost my fluency when I started to go to school in America, I still remember a lot of Czech (for example, I could understand the title of this thread without translation),

Jej! I'm not what you'd call fluent, but I'm getting there. My family's primary language is English now, but it's peppered with Slovak phrases, sometimes in translation - it's one of those things that you don't really realize is important to you until it's gone (or almost gone), you know?

I'm glad to see you are interested in Slavic paganism biggrin

Quote:
and there are a lot of things I read about Slavic neopaganism that I remember from children's fairy tales that she told me. You're right though, there is a mass of fakelore out there, didn't some Russian guys a hundred years ago forge a book claiming to be a historical account of Slavic paganism, or something like that?

Tea's right - you're thinking of the Book of Veles/Velesova Kniha. It's more a mythical account of the birth of the Russian people - and it isn't historical per sé, but it's still relevant to many Slavic pagans, especially those in the East. My focus is on West-Slavic traditions, so it's not as spiritually relevant to me as it would be to a Russian.

Bit ethnocentric, eh?

Anyhow, I used to be pretty dismayed by fakelore. But since then I've kind of learned to recognize that we're a living people, with living traditions and living Gods. We may have forgotten things that were sacred to us in the past, but we live in the present, and the Gods are still here - new stories about them shouldn't be a dirty thing, we just need to recognize that these tales are new.  
PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff