Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Gods and Godesses: real entitys or representatives? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:50 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
Gho the Girl
Jung spoke to more than that though.
He did much work categorizing symbols and archetypes. He found that many societies, religions, etc. had common archetypes and symbols. In polytheistic religions, many have a god of war, a god of the sea, a god of nature, etc. Part of the dilemna created by his work is that the gods became less a group of individuals and more symbolic figures that held certain traits. Loki, for instance, is the fool, has traits of trikery, deception, mayhaps luck.

He actually found that the Western (largely Roman influenced) representation of different societies, religions, etc... had common archetypes and symbols. According to one of my professors, who WILL give up the references once I have the time and energy to pin him down and shake them out of him, Jung actually took the shocking step of GOING TO OTHER CoUNTRIES and discovered that maybe the reports he got on all those gods & stuff were a tad bit misrepresented due to projection (yay shadow!).

Unfortunately, it's his later works, and a lot of them aren't translated. Grrrr. But I wants them, my precious. I wants to squeeze everything useful out of his dead brains and then make the world anew!
Thought about hiring a translator yourself and then having the two of you split the profits from any of the Self Publishing companies when you sell the books?

Might do that if someone else isn't already on it. Conforti and Hillman both show interest in his later works, though, and Asissi may already be on it, not to mention the US E-something Jung group. They have more money. XD I'm just a starving grad student.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:23 pm
Deoridhe

Might do that if someone else isn't already on it. Conforti and Hillman both show interest in his later works, though, and Asissi may already be on it, not to mention the US E-something Jung group. They have more money. XD I'm just a starving grad student.
Oooh! That would be neat.

Any chance you could put in a request?  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:24 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Oooh! That would be neat.

Any chance you could put in a request?

I can try. XD I need to get this paper done and take a two week vacation first, though. I am so burnt.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:27 pm
Deoridhe

I can try. XD I need to get this paper done and take a two week vacation first, though. I am so burnt.
When do you plan to have it done?  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:28 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Today before I leave for a dinner date and picking up family at the airport. It needs to be in the mail tomorrow.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:40 pm
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Today before I leave for a dinner date and picking up family at the airport. It needs to be in the mail tomorrow.
Cool beans!

Date Huh?  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:50 pm
TeaDidikai
Cool beans!

Date Huh?

Female friend. XD  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:59 pm
Deoridhe

Female friend. XD
Ah.  

TeaDidikai

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:43 pm
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
TeaDidikai
Kashaku-Tatsu

One of my peeves is when people call all goddesses the same goddess under different names (yes I've heard that come out of the mouth of a wiccan priest acquaintance of mine, he actually told his student that Lilith, Hekate, Brighid and Damnu were all the goddess so didn't matter the name the person called her o_O).
This is called Soft Polytheism.

I'm curious as to what lineage this Priest held, since this isn't a doctrine of The Wica.
I'm hethenotheist. Am I soft polytheist?
Debatable.
It'll help if you answer this question for me:
Is YHVH the Lord of the Isles?
Um, no, not really.
Not a soft polytheist.
Well, hang on:

If in Hethenotheism, there is an overarching deity that encompasses all things, and from certain elements of all things, other deities can exist, such as a warlike deity being made up of specific soulstuff that is still part of this overarching deity, would it be safe to say that this warlike deity is not the overaching deity even if they are connected?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:39 pm
Gho the Girl
Well, hang on:

If in Hethenotheism, there is an overarching deity that encompasses all things, and from certain elements of all things, other deities can exist, such as a warlike deity being made up of specific soulstuff that is still part of this overarching deity, would it be safe to say that this warlike deity is not the overaching deity even if they are connected?

It occurs to me that there's some blending of Panentheism and Hethenotheism- with a view supported from a place where the "Lesser Gods" are generated unique individuals in the same way each leaf, pine needle and human are.

To that end, there may also be some Monistic influence as well, no?  

TeaDidikai

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:32 pm
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
Well, hang on:

It occurs to me that there's some blending of Panentheism and Hethenotheism- with a view supported from a place where the "Lesser Gods" are generated unique individuals in the same way each leaf, pine needle and human are.

To that end, there may also be some Monistic influence as well, no?
Yep. Monistic, panentheistic, hethenotheistic Christian. That's me.

I'm having a visualisation of this: Analogy is, God is the Earth. A god will be a thundercloud, or a tree, or a single pebble, or maybe even a whole field. In this way, each god is distinct, the god that is the tree is not the god that is the thundercloud, thus, soft polytheism and over-zealous Jungian grouping aren't considered accurate, as that tree is clearly not that thundercloud. However, they are all connected in that they all exist on the same planet, and this greater system is the Earth, or in the analogy, God.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:23 am
Interesting analogy.
Did the god that is the world create the gods that are parts of the world as well?  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces