Goth Music 101, the end of arguements..hopefully Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sulhir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:25 pm

http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=2390273
This thread is pure goth music, I assure you. It's the one about Projekt in this sub forum. It is amazing.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:40 pm

Wow. I have to do some homework, because I'm a sad little poser-goth if there ever was one.
I admit readily that I listen to a lot of stuff on the "commonly mistaken" list, but some stuff on the other ones too. So I'm not really goth. Just kinda....dark? Who knows.

-runs off to look at a million bands-

..Luaxanna..

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:38 pm

Can I suggest/vote that this thread be stickied? XD
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:06 pm

CrimsonThanatos

Well, that would probably be a good idea... but then again, this subforum is for all kinds of music, not just the genres described (speaking of which, where's the Dark Cabaret genre? O_o )
Hell, there's even a thread for the Spice Girls in here lol

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

xX x0mbie Xx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:40 pm

Dead Ed
CrimsonThanatos

Well, that would probably be a good idea... but then again, this subforum is for all kinds of music, not just the genres described (speaking of which, where's the Dark Cabaret genre? O_o )

haha my thread rocks because its the spice girls xd
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:47 pm

o.O Y u k i O.o
Dead Ed
CrimsonThanatos

haha my thread rocks because its the spice girls xd

sad Hey, my Skinny Puppy, Queensryche, and Joy Division threads rock too... I think.

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

bluerain202

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:34 pm

The lit section should be cleaned up alittle in reference to goth...
Romanticism also glorifies the individual.
The byronic hero for example is an individual, wanderer. .... and walt whitman came out of who are known as the transcendentalists (thoreau, emerson) who were the American versions of the British Romantics. All three of these men emphasized a connection to nature.
Romanticism as a whole is best characterized as overly optimistic, also idealistic, with passions for the individual. The original movement sprung as an outlash against Neoclassicism and order.
What is known as "gothic lit" is appropiately known as an offspring of romanticism, as rightly said, not everything should be looked at with such brightness. Mary Shelley, Poe, Hawthorne, and acouple others are seen as gothic writers becasue they acknowledged the strange, the supernatural, the horrific. They also emphasize the individual.
There is also "southern gothic", a lit genre that empahasized hypocrisy and feelings of guilt after the civil war.
Then came realism... kate chopin and mark twain. More emphasize on the not so great side of humanity.
Then naturalism...

It's hard to catergorize groups of literature, like music, they ususally combine a number of themes. Poe for example, used a great deal of order in his rhyme scheme in his poems.
blah maybe I'm too picky.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:20 pm

Wow, I thought I was the only one who knew about London After Midnight... xd

dreaming_tonight

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:45 am

dreaming_tonight
Wow, I thought I was the only one who knew about London After Midnight... xd

They're actually a pretty well known group, on the level of Bella Morte or Cruxshadows, perhaps.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:52 pm

I only have 4 of their songs. Psycho Magnet, Demon, Kiss, and their cover of Sally's Song from Nightmare Before Christmas.

They don't seem so popular on Limewire. razz

Ether-Eating Eskimo

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:45 pm

_PsychoPathic-Tend3ncies_
I only have 4 of their songs. Psycho Magnet, Demon, Kiss, and their cover of Sally's Song from Nightmare Before Christmas.

Just because a band isn't so popular on limewire, it dosn't mean that they don't have a strong following. Look at Black Tap For A Blue Girl, for example. I've only come across two of thier songs on a P2P program, but they're still quite popular. 3nodding
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:33 pm

DreamerSpirit

Just because a band isn't so popular on limewire, it dosn't mean that they don't have a strong following. Look at Black Tap For A Blue Girl, for example. I've only come across two of thier songs on a P2P program, but they're still quite popular. 3nodding

I can't find either of the two anywhere. XD And that limewire thing was kind of supposed to be a joke.

If you know of anywhere I can find the bands, let me know.

Better yet, what's a good place to find any Goth that isn't S&tB or the Cure. blaugh

Ether-Eating Eskimo

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:44 pm

DreamerSpirit

I can't find either of the two anywhere. XD And that limewire thing was kind of supposed to be a joke.

Better yet, what's a good place to find any Goth that isn't S&tB or the Cure. blaugh

There's different sources.

One good way is to check individual artist's websites. Many artists, both active and innactive, will put up their own music for free, legal download. You can download 7 or 8 songs from the Golden Apes site, and a solid dozen from the Shades of Grey site, for example. I have a solid 200 songs on my computer downloaded legally from artist websites.

Another way (though, with questionable legality) is to check out P2P communities on networking sites like LiveJournal. One such community, for example, is gothmusicshare on Live Journal. The community is, quite literally, nothing but links to download underground, unlicensed, hard to find, and non-label goth-music.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:26 pm

GilAskan
DreamerSpirit

There's different sources.

One good way is to check individual artist's websites. Many artists, both active and innactive, will put up their own music for free, legal download. You can download 7 or 8 songs from the Golden Apes site, and a solid dozen from the Shades of Grey site, for example. I have a solid 200 songs on my computer downloaded legally from artist websites.

Another way (though, with questionable legality) is to check out P2P communities on networking sites like LiveJournal. One such community, for example, is gothmusicshare on Live Journal. The community is, quite literally, nothing but links to download underground, unlicensed, hard to find, and non-label goth-music.

Thanks a lot. smile

Ether-Eating Eskimo

-Sylvia Blank Page-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:12 pm

If it hadn't been for Gaia I wouldn't even know Goth was a type of music. I was lurking somewhere and saw a thread about it, and I looked up goth-rock, and found Siouxsie.

Thank God for my "hear of a band and look it up" routine.
heart
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces