Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Lesbian goddesses? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:22 am
Ainwyn

Actually, someone who's a transvestite would fall under the transgender umbrella, but I know what you're saying.
HOLYSHIT! You mean just because I wear mens clothing I suddenly have Gender Dysphoria?! Who the ******** knew?!

Damn, I'm going to have to call all my friends who do drag but are happily very much their birth sex and gender in their offstage life and tell them that they don't exist!

Quote:
Now that I want to see!
It's in the Eddas.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:20 pm
TeaDidikai
Ainwyn

Actually, someone who's a transvestite would fall under the transgender umbrella, but I know what you're saying.
HOLYSHIT! You mean just because I wear mens clothing I suddenly have Gender Dysphoria?! Who the ******** knew?!

Damn, I'm going to have to call all my friends who do drag but are happily very much their birth sex and gender in their offstage life and tell them that they don't exist!

No... transgender - across gender. Transvestites, cross dressers, transsexuals, androgynes, etc... all all under the "transgender" label, which is why some transsexuals do not like identifying themselves as "transgendered" because it groups them together with drag kings and drag queens.

A transsexual is an individual with GID, but, as can be guessed at from my previous paragraph, not everyone who falls under the "transgender" umbrella suffers from it.  

Ashley the Bee

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:07 pm
Ashley the Bee

No... transgender - across gender. Transvestites, cross dressers, transsexuals, androgynes, etc... all all under the "transgender" label, which is why some transsexuals do not like identifying themselves as "transgendered" because it groups them together with drag kings and drag queens.

A transsexual is an individual with GID, but, as can be guessed at from my previous paragraph, not everyone who falls under the "transgender" umbrella suffers from it.

This isn't my understanding from the USI LGBT Campaign, The Stroud District Council, or my copy of Merriam Webster. ~shrugs~  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:01 pm
TeaDidikai
Ashley the Bee

This isn't my understanding from the USI LGBT Campaign, The Stroud District Council, or my copy of Merriam Webster. ~shrugs~

APA
What does transgender mean?

Transgender is an umbrella term used to describe people whose gender identity (sense of themselves as male or female) or gender expression differs from that usually associated with their birth sex. Many transgender people live part-time or full-time as members of the other gender. Broadly speaking, anyone whose identity, appearance, or behavior falls outside of conventional gender norms can be described as transgender. However, not everyone whose appearance or behavior is gender-atypical will identify as a transgender person.

The page goes on to describe the various groups of people who fall under this term.

The person who first used the term "transgender", Virginia Prince, used the term to describe what is "commonly", at least within the trans community, as a non-op transsexual. An individual who chooses to live in the gender roll opposite his or her birth sex, while continuing to posses the genitalia of their birth sex. Specifically, she felt the term, "transgenderist" should be used to describe such individuals.

This page, Rethinking 'Who put the "Trans" in Transgender?', goes into a detailed history of the word, from "transgenderist", as Virginia used it, to "trans-gender", as Richard Ekins used it to include "material on the widest possible range", to the usage that is most popular today, as the umbrella term.  

Ashley the Bee

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:19 am
Ashley the Bee
TeaDidikai
Ashley the Bee

APA
What does transgender mean?

Transgender is an umbrella term used to describe people whose gender identity (sense of themselves as male or female) or gender expression differs from that usually associated with their birth sex. Many transgender people live part-time or full-time as members of the other gender. Broadly speaking, anyone whose identity, appearance, or behavior falls outside of conventional gender norms can be described as transgender. However, not everyone whose appearance or behavior is gender-atypical will identify as a transgender person.

The page goes on to describe the various groups of people who fall under this term.

The person who first used the term "transgender", Virginia Prince, used the term to describe what is "commonly", at least within the trans community, as a non-op transsexual. An individual who chooses to live in the gender roll opposite his or her birth sex, while continuing to posses the genitalia of their birth sex. Specifically, she felt the term, "transgenderist" should be used to describe such individuals.

This page, Rethinking 'Who put the "Trans" in Transgender?', goes into a detailed history of the word, from "transgenderist", as Virginia used it, to "trans-gender", as Richard Ekins used it to include "material on the widest possible range", to the usage that is most popular today, as the umbrella term.
Your citation doesn't address the fact that there are transvestites who do not fit your definition, though to be fair, I haven't had a chance to follow the links.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:24 pm
TeaDidikai
Transvestite is not the same as Transgendered.

Hell, Thor was a transvestite! (And this is where the Thorsgodhi and I clash- I find this ******** HI+LAR+EEEEEE+OUS!)
Didn't Loki give birth to Sleipnir?

Namikikyo, you might be interested in Raven Kaldera's book Hermaphrodeities{/url]. From the description: "This revised and expanded edition of Hermaphrodeities features third gender myths, deities, personal and group exercises, community service project suggestions, rituals, and interviews with people from all over both the transgender spectrum." More of a exploration of transgender spirituality than a simple list of gender-fluid or cross-dressing deities, but you might find it useful. I haven't read it yet so I can't personally vouch for it though.

As for lesbian goddesses...it often comes up in discussions of Egyptian deities whether Set in particular was homosexual (with the possibility of Nebt-het being a lesbian occasionally following). UPG from my path says that Set is just sexual, embodying that raw energy that accompanies intense sexual experiences regardless of the number, configuration, genders, or orientations of the participants. UPG also says that Hethert embodies a slightly different flavor of sexuality, the sensual beauty of intimacy; good sex, good food, good music are all within Hethert's purview. Aset is a queen and a mother, and although She is Wesir's wife She is pretty much a single mom since Wesir is dead while She raises Their son Heru. Nit, the Creatrix, the great archer Who spoke the world into existence, is described as androgynous. Tem's another androgynous deity; depending on the story he either masturbated or spat to produce the gods Shu and Tefnut. Nun, the sea without end that existed before Creation, is likewise androgynous or agendered. Many of the gods have epithets or alternative identities that are a different gender than They are commonly depicted.

The gods are in some ways simpler and in some ways more complex than we are and in many ways completely unfathomable. I would feel confident asking either Set or Hethert for relationship advice (although They would give different answers) regardless of my gender or the gender(s) of my partner(s) or the the gods' apparent gender or the apparent genders of the gods They generally seem to consort with. I can completely understand the urge for Someone to identify with, but if you can't call a god gay, you can't call them straight either.

Then there is always creating your own mythology to suit your needs, instead of trying to shoehorn old gods into modern frameworks. It's a valid and important aspect of sexual identity construction for people whose identities conflict with the majority to look for inspirational examples of people with similar identities (those of the majority generally don't even think to look because it's the standard and therefore invisible), but it's harder to do with gods than people. If you must reclaim gods, "reclaim" them from your own assumptions that "not-gay" necessarily means "straight," that human labels say more about the god so labeled than the humans so labeling, and that you can only find comfort or guidance from a god who's just like you.  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:48 pm
TheDisreputableDog
Didn't Loki give birth to Sleipnir?
Hell yeah. Also? Loki accused Odin of learning magical arts restricted to women... given the nature of gender roles in Norse culture and that Cross Dressing was grounds for divorce within the Sagas, it's quite interesting stuff.
Quote:

As for lesbian goddesses...it often comes up in discussions of Egyptian deities whether Set in particular was homosexual (with the possibility of Nebt-het being a lesbian occasionally following). UPG from my path says that Set is just sexual, embodying that raw energy that accompanies intense sexual experiences regardless of the number, configuration, genders, or orientations of the participants.
This has often been my understanding as well, though there's an element of challenge too.

There are elements of personal sexuality that most people don't want to confront, save for possibly through thought. This kind of sexual expression is often repressed, and in the Power Exchange community that overlaps with sexuality, this can often be a source of bottoming/topping out. It can be a thin line between being vulnerable to those sexual inclinations while still being psychologically sound and physically safe and experiencing the kinds of feelings that give rise to an individual fearing those feelings to begin with.

My impression of Set in this role is the one who toes the line between what is and is not internally acceptable.

Good advice by and by.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:20 am
TeaDidikai
This has often been my understanding as well, though there's an element of challenge too.

There are elements of personal sexuality that most people don't want to confront, save for possibly through thought. This kind of sexual expression is often repressed, and in the Power Exchange community that overlaps with sexuality, this can often be a source of bottoming/topping out. It can be a thin line between being vulnerable to those sexual inclinations while still being psychologically sound and physically safe and experiencing the kinds of feelings that give rise to an individual fearing those feelings to begin with.

My impression of Set in this role is the one who toes the line between what is and is not internally acceptable.
Spot on. This makes perfect sense to me, thanks for the addition/clarification. smile  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:05 am
TheDisreputableDog
Spot on. This makes perfect sense to me, thanks for the addition/clarification. smile
Welcome.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces