Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Sporkism. (Open!) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Crimple

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:01 am
heart Spork

Warmed up the foreground, but I'm depending on you to see how effective that was orz Working from a flat screen changes my colour saturation and brightness depending what angle I'm viewing from and at which part of the screen

Giant headache. Yeap D:

btw, does the other eye look blue or green? or blue-ish green?

User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:15 am
@ Crimple: it's looking much better now that there's a gradient to the background.

(I'm working on a mac, so the graphics are fairly good and consistent throughout, and I'm seeing no flaws.)

I think we can just about lay that one to rest (if you want to go back and polish it up a bit, that's fine, I'll critique it after that polish, but I'm not requiring you to do it), but before we go on to the next assignment, I hinted earlier at getting you to critique things, and as I'm the only person I have free reign to make fun of, we're stuck critiquing my old stuff.
This'll make your eyes bleed.

@Nightshade: Awesome.  

The Titanium Spork

Crimple

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:37 pm
Oh dear. Does it still look unfinished? I was planning to submit it as is, but if it still need tidying up...

And thanks for the noble offer xD My eyes are still fine.
Don't think we have to restrict ourselves to you and I. Ohohoh~ we can be like the fairy godmothers of art, decending upon GAM's and the WIP forum's artists in need, and bestowing our gifts of anatomical correctness
8DD  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:52 pm
It looks finished, I just wanted to check if you were completely satisfied with it.

That would be epic. The n00bs would hate us. It would be awesome.

Ready to move on to the next assignment?  

The Titanium Spork

Crimple

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:12 am
Thank goodness :'D

I was hoping more love'n and less hate'n
like we could drop into those threads requesting critique or drawovers?

Yes please! Serve up the next course whee  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:29 am
User Image one eye is red the other is blue the granite in the back isnt the best  

The_Beautiful_Kat_Katrina

Timid Hunter

4,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:39 am
Here's my 2nd assignment ;[x]
I still can't do the head/face right! D:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:34 am
Crimple: we could indeed... in fact, we should it'd train your eye.

Okay, next assignment is nearly insulting in it's simplicity, but it's absolutely crucial.

Draw a bunch of reasonably accurately proportioned stick figures. 5 minimum, something like 10 is ideal. The catch is, they all have to be doing dynamic poses, and I have to be able to see that in the stick figure.

Dark-Killaz: ... excuse me?

Nightshade: I'm sorry, I didn't have time to do a drawover, but I'll just go through it with you.

- His ear is too far back on his head, it should be right behind the cheekbone you defined.
-There are too many lines defining his neck, you just need one running from his ear to his collarbone, and his adam's apple.
-Be careful how you define those muscles, if you do it incorrectly they just look like lumps. if you're not too confident about defining them just yet, tone the muscle structure down, and we'll come back to that in a later assignment.
-his pecs are differently-shaped, and the one nearer to us is too close to his armpit.
-Nipples should be toward the lower-outside corner of his pecs.
-his leg just kinda springs out of his torso, you need to define his pelvic bone, if only with just a line.
-His front leg doesn't join up quite right. Make his butt a bit higher, tone down the back buttock just a little bit, and give him one in the front.
-Just do your best with hands and feet for the moment, I'll give you assignments specific to them later.

Next: once you're satisfied with your adjustments, give him clothing, define his facial features, give him hair, the whole lot.  

The Titanium Spork

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:49 am
It's fine that you didn't do a drawover ^^ And I'll fix him up and get onto the next assignment right away!  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:06 pm
Awesome. Feel free to ask questions while you're working on it if you need to.  

The Titanium Spork

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:24 am
Okay ^^  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:22 am
Love ya Sporky! You really struck on one of my weaknesses.
I'm grateful, but this assignment was so painful and I'm hurt'n~ ohoh oooh~~ heart
hope the reducing iterations are due to improvement, not lazyness 8D

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

Crimple

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:44 pm
XD Dynamic poses tend to be a big weakness for a lot of us (myself included).
I think the first one is hyper-foreshortened, the back leg attatches badly and the pose is a tad too unfeasible. As we draw in a stylized way, we can take liberties with poses and proportions a little bit, so long as we maintain a suspension of disbelief. For example, this guy's legs should technically be shorter, but because the artist obviously knows about anatomy, she can pull it off. The trick is to figure out just how much exaggeration you can pull off. Again, here, knuckles are exaggerated, as with nose shape, his arms are a bit too short, but, overall, the artist pulls the exaggeration off. [//overly impassioned speech about nothing] The rest of your stick figures are good. :3 My personal favorite is the one playing soccer at the bottom, overall, though, you did well depicting what each is doing simply, which is very important.

... so, onto the next bit! Take one of your stick figures, and, while maintaining the illusion of motion, flesh it out, no facial features or major details, just block in musculature and shapes for the moment.

This way of doing drawings is kinda tedious, but it's the way I usually do it, and I find it works really well. At the end of the day, the reason I'm showing you all these techniques is to get you to see how things are done, and for you to develop a technique that works best for you.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:33 am
Not tedious. This "build from the foundation up" exercise is extremely helpful. Afterall, there should be a firm understanding of what I'm drawing before I can start taking shortcuts.

So I was kinda hoping we can (if that's okay with you) stay at this stage for a while longer?  

Crimple

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:57 am
So, you want to do more stick figures? By all means, go ahead. So, just repeat the last assignment, and then post it again, and I shall critique it for you. If you'd like, and you want to challenge yourself, start doing scenes with multiple people in them with those stick figures.

Always feel free to tell me if I'm going too fast.  
Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff