Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Music Artists of Gaia

Back to Guilds

A musician's guild! 

Tags: musicians, music, instruments, bands 

Reply The Music Artists Guild
Is rap music? Should rappers be allowed in this guild? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like rap?
  It's ok...
  <3 RAP!!! <3
  Ugh!! I hate rap!!!
View Results

W1nterSold1er

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:03 pm
Eccojedi
synn b***h ya
Eccojedi
Cheo-tsin
Exacly. It could be the same thing for religion. I mean think about it. The people that come to your door that are always trying to convert you is because they prolly think there religion is the best, but there is no best religion. Its what you believe and how much you believe in it. Its not a matter of religion you are, its the matter of how much you believe in it. Just like its not a matter of what kinda music you listin to its the matter of how devoted you are into it. well thats just my opinion

Don't get me started on religion, though... The difference between God and Rap music is that you can't turn on the radio and hear God, so rap has the strength of proven existance.

On the subject of rap and hip hop, though, the reason many people don't like it is because of their preconceived notions about what the subject matter and talent actually involves. Most of these are simply individuals who have listened to mainstream stations and heard celebrities such as 50-Cent and Eminem, not even thinking that there might be something more. For instance, I hate to say it, but there IS good country music out there, you just don't hear it from the likes of the idiots on the radio.

If you're wanting good hip-hop, listen to Atmosphere, listen to Outkast, Listen to Aesop Rock... Hell, listen to Bone Thugs n' Harmony, even listen to the Grey Album, Dangamouse's remix of JayZ's black album and The White Album (if you're not too busy adhering to the 'no classic songs' rule.)

I am personally not a big rap or hip-hop fan, but as a musician I have to appreciate it for what it is, a form of musical art. There are rappers out there that can spit lines on beat so fast your head would spin, and to do that with rhythm does take a talent... For instance, try singing or talking while tapping out an 8 part beat at 180BPM on a djembe or drumset. Now try to make it sound good.

Think about all the hip hop artist you just mentioned, they all came from the street they were nothing and made somthing out of themselves. They were living in hell were you could be shot just for wereing a certain color in a certain part of the city. rap is more then music its what the artist is, what he came from, how he feels.

Yes, some of them did grow up on the streets, but many of them rap about things they know nothing about, and some of them have little talent and get by on a gimmick... For instance, 50 Cent wouldn't be nearly as famous if he hadn't been shot so many times.
exacly.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:44 am
Well, music is an arrangement of sound that is pleasant sounding to the ear, and some people listening to rap and enjoy it. So I suspect that rap is a genre of music.  

Nashiro

I am the king of rock.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:47 pm
rap as music...hmmm good question...well...i don't know i guess i mean the dj saves it...i guess without the turntables rap is really a speech...a spoken bio of some one...i like rap myself...ICP,Twiztid,rest of the psychopathic crew,Vanilla Ice,Beastie Boys,Cypress Hill but i don't know if its really music...but hmm i don't know one of those things just sits on the fence...i think ill call it music no im not sayin its full blown music but i guess it kinda is  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:05 pm
rap used to be good back in the day..now it's all about sex and how much more money they have than you...mind you you're buying their cd and theyre shoving it in your face...and stupid s**t.
it's pretty unnecessary..basically i think the only purpose it serves is in providing music you can "dance" to.
the lyrics are retarded
and rappers are stupid

the beats nowadays arent creative at all...only band i liek is outcast because theyre creative. but i doubt theyre considered rap..i dont know where the lines go..its all a blur nowadays.

listen to rock...its more fulfilling and you can listen to the music more than rap..it loses its novelty through all its mainstream airplay and then you buy the cd and waste $15 on a piece of s**t cd with 2 singles that are still not worth listening to and a bunch of filler songs.
i pity you.  

Forrest.TheMan

Jaydoggy

Eloquent Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:40 pm
If curling is an olympic sport, then rap is music. you have to listen to the correct kind of rap though. Most of the (c)rap you hear on the radio and MTV are phony. Listen to someone who actually came from that sort of background; some are on MTV and the radio yes i know. But too many rappers are starting to do it for the sake of cashing in, stay away from them.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:15 pm
i dislike rap very much.....  

Lane-pop

Teh Rock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:55 am
But do you consider it music? I hate it too, and when I created this thread, I didn't consider it music. But after reading over some of the posts in here and reconsdering my thoughts, I agreed that some rap is music. The rap that doesn't talk about violence, sex, money, and all that crap.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:14 am
i dont like rap. i mean i use to when i was like 10. but after awhile it got old. and when i got older it just sounded the same. and well it just started sucking. so i got introduced to rock when i was like 10 and i just started listening to that kind of music! and now im an emo struck girl.... lol

and got_rock... i agree with you that some rock is music.. but basically all rap has violence sex and money doing in it. so its basically all the same now. so rap just plainly sucks now. lol. thats just my opinion.. woot.  

cryemo69

cryemo69

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:19 am
synn b***h ya
got_rock
I really don't like rap. It's just like poetry with some weird sound effects. It just doesn't sound like music. I hate it. Or maybe thats because my bus driver always plays unkown rap music really loud... Anyway, just say your thoughts on it.

I dont know if i'm aloud to post yet I just asked to join and waiting but I have to say somthing. no offense to anyone but if you hate rap you hate poetry and rock n roll, r & b, heavy metal- just listen to there lyrics there all the same thing one just have a bieat and the other has a rythem, one have a guitar and another is just words on paper. so you cant hate on rap and not hate on the others.

yeah but rap has gone down the drain. its not poemy anymore. all they talk about is sex and violence and there "grills" so rap was all about heart and soul and now its down the toilet.. and flushed a bagillion times.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:22 pm
cryemo69
i dont like rap. i mean i use to when i was like 10. but after awhile it got old. and when i got older it just sounded the same. and well it just started sucking. so i got introduced to rock when i was like 10 and i just started listening to that kind of music! and now im an emo struck girl.... lol

and got_rock... i agree with you that some rock is music.. but basically all rap has violence sex and money doing in it. so its basically all the same now. so rap just plainly sucks now. lol. thats just my opinion.. woot.

Good rap music isn't about violence, sex, and money. That's just the popular stuff. 90% of popular music is horrid in any genre.

To be fair, I could say that emo to me sounds like nothing but whiny teenagers crying in angst about how they either can't get a girlfriend, their girlfriend left them, their life sucks, or they're going crazy. It's like country music with power chords, distorted guitars, and bad singers.  

Eccojedi

Triste

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:04 am
Eccojedi
Good rap music isn't about violence, sex, and money. That's just the popular stuff. 90% of popular music is horrid in any genre.

Indeedy.

I wasn't too keen on rap music, but one of my friends let me listen to some of the most mindblowing, British freestyle rap battles EVAR which had references to politics, society, and scientific theories.

There certainly are some good stuff out there. The main caveat in letting them into this guild is to make sure they're not just one of those 'post-lyrics-singers'. Too many of those around. domokun  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:47 pm
stringstrider
I hate rap and in no way think its music, however, many people like it and they are entitled to their opinions, there is no reason to not allow them in this guild

well technically since this is a music artists guild rappers should be allowed, people can talk all they want about how rap requires no skill but its isnt easy to break out with rhymes off the top of your head like that.

i hate mainstream hip-hop. artists on mtv like lil jon and s**t can g to hell. they're destroying a genre. old rap like tupac s good and most current stuff that is kept underground or off the air becasue they wont make a video about dope and a**.

bottom line, rap is music. this is a music guild  

rodcet nife

spyxz27

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:05 am
Lantis0001
Under this guild's rules, rappers fit in with songwriters, so they're allowed in.

I'm very selective on what I listen to, and most rap music is just about my gang, my bling, or my b**** broke up with me. In a way, it's just black country city music.

But, some more emerging artists are making it more interesting, talking about more than themselves, and I have to respect that.

Only, there's an unspoken rule that's being broken with every new album that comes out, and I blame Vanilla Ice for starting this. Don't sample classic songs. Randy Rhodes should not be in a rap song EVER.

Agreed Randy Rhoads shouldn't be defiled like that he is a guitar God!  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:53 pm
got_rock
But do you consider it music? I hate it too, and when I created this thread, I didn't consider it music. But after reading over some of the posts in here and reconsdering my thoughts, I agreed that some rap is music. The rap that doesn't talk about violence, sex, money, and all that crap.

I hardly think that content of lyrics defines whether or not the genre is music -_-"...

Rap is definetly a form of music, a genre that relies mostly on rhythm. It DOES, believe it or not, take skill to rap, to keep the rhythm up, and to write the lyrics. Rap is also a very "in-your-face" type of music, making it ideal for many types of expression...for example, my personal favourite genre for getting across anger is rap-rock type stuff.

Obviously, you're not going to find the best stuff in the mainstream...you almost never do. So if you want to find good rap, and any other genre for that matter, you have to LOOK.  

code_punk

tiger_fish_87

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:48 pm
Ice-Blue Stare
in a rap band, the only people who have any traces of talent are the musicians. not the rapper. because all they're doing is screaming random words. it's completely pointless!

a rapper who is just reading the lyrics? yes i agree, thats not hard.

but a rapper who WRITES lyrics? thats a different story.

yes, i rap, yes im white, yes im a girl.

but this thread is exactly why i dont post my rap for everyone to hear.

and the owner marshmellow is right, its ok to say u hate rap, but not say crap like "rappers have no talent."
if u break it down and word it differently, then yes i agree. but rappers WRITE their songs... to sit down and try to write a rap (the way i try to) you have to be so skilled with what your trying to prove without talking about "random things."

i agree that most rappers talk about gang/violence/etc.

but it depends who the artist is, some people write rap that is great like tupac "changes." listen to THAT stuff. yea, tupac was weird and had so many strange references, but i guess you just have to pick out songs that make sense, and not just hate rap entirely.

rapping is probably the best talent to have, as far as writing them. to "rap fast" is not that hard with practice. so i agree there. i never ever would say "rap is not music."

thats your opinion, everyone, and its ok to think it. but what about those who take time to try to understand rap, you are going to offend someone. really. i agree that the rap bashing got out of control.

its a way of life for a lot of people in my state, my ex boyfriend is a pretty good rapper from CT. and although i am far from "ghetto" and the most white and nerdy chick ever.. i will always appreciate rap.

its not good to say these statements that i've read in this thread. remember that people have feelings!  
The Music Artists Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff