Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
WARNING! Massive Art Dump! [ New Art! 1/18/09 p.5] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Am I Improving?
  Yes, very much so
  Not very noticably
  Not at all, (Comment on Re-occuring mistakes please)
View Results

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:46 am
Lol! yeah my character doesn't have normal human legs, She had really short shin bones, and her ankles are set high when I get done with her new reference I'll post it here, and I was using myself for reference on this pose so that may be why it looks a little weird because I tend to sit on one of my feet when I'm sitting like that ^^; though it'd be nice to have someone to help me with animals and such, I suck really bad at wings so I'm thinking of not drawing them anymore unless I have reference because people always want them to be more realistic with a lot of detail, or tell me they have too much detail for my style, and when I try to make a medium they are not anatomically correct anymore :/ They are just too much of a hassle.

I can help you with human faces if you are looking to draw them similar to what I draw them ^W^ but only for girls, I kinda cheat, I have how to draw manga books for drawing Bishoujo characters because that is the style of humans I want to draw.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:42 pm
I see, I see. :3 I understand that style of leg entirely, as one of my characters also is short-shinned. She makes up for it in thigh and ankle-to-toe length, though. xD

Well, I'd love to help you in any way I can. *surreptitiously points to mentor thread* lol If you're interested, that is.
Thing is, I'm obsessed with wings and the idea of flight. I really love birds, if that tells you anything. *self-proclaimed avian geek* x3 And really, I think you can find a good happy medium for your style. Something that looks right and isn't too detailed. 3nodding

That would be pretty awesome. :3 What bothers me the most about drawing human faces is all from the nose down. D: I like eyes. Eyes are fun and easy. It's just the rest of it. xD  

Eizoryu

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:48 pm
Eizoryu
I see, I see. :3 I understand that style of leg entirely, as one of my characters also is short-shinned. She makes up for it in thigh and ankle-to-toe length, though. xD

Well, I'd love to help you in any way I can. *surreptitiously points to mentor thread* lol If you're interested, that is.
Thing is, I'm obsessed with wings and the idea of flight. I really love birds, if that tells you anything. *self-proclaimed avian geek* x3 And really, I think you can find a good happy medium for your style. Something that looks right and isn't too detailed. 3nodding

That would be pretty awesome. :3 What bothers me the most about drawing human faces is all from the nose down. D: I like eyes. Eyes are fun and easy. It's just the rest of it. xD

Well from my stand point, I say less is more :3 for the mouth and chin area  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:48 am
User Image
Practicing with Open Canvas, I didn't use a sketch for this pic, so it is a little rough ^^;  

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:01 am
Another with just tablet, this on done in photoshop, trying a new coloring technique. What do you think of the shading? that was my main thing with this pic.

User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:15 pm
Here is another artistically nude drawing, this time I did something a little different, I drew and shaded the whole picture in Manga Studio. No paper sketches at all, I'd really like help with the feet primarily.

Raeyu Finalized, Manga Style  

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Eizoryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:53 pm
So floofy. x3

I love your strokes for the fur and hair. Very nice on those, though a little thick on her legs.

As for the feet, her right one looks alright. The left one, notsomuch. I think I see where you were going with it, though. Either a frontal view of the foot, or she's lifting it up a little.

Considering that she's leaning to her left just enough to put her weight on that left foot, though, I would assume a frontal view was the objective. Frontal views on claws can be tricky. I still have problems. D:
Here's a quick redline I put together for ya:
User Image
The one in the middle is about what I think would work best for a frontal view on Raeyu's feet. Because it's a front view, foreshortening comes into play, so that even the longest toes look like stubs. The end of the toes look like ovals in Raeyu's case; ovals with slightly flattened bottoms where the ground meets her feet. Claws/toenails look like upside-down teardrops from the front. 3nodding

Hope that helps ^^  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:19 pm
Eizoryu
So floofy. x3

I love your strokes for the fur and hair. Very nice on those, though a little thick on her legs.

As for the feet, her right one looks alright. The left one, notsomuch. I think I see where you were going with it, though. Either a frontal view of the foot, or she's lifting it up a little.

Considering that she's leaning to her left just enough to put her weight on that left foot, though, I would assume a frontal view was the objective. Frontal views on claws can be tricky. I still have problems. D:
Here's a quick redline I put together for ya:
User Image
The one in the middle is about what I think would work best for a frontal view on Raeyu's feet. Because it's a front view, foreshortening comes into play, so that even the longest toes look like stubs. The end of the toes look like ovals in Raeyu's case; ovals with slightly flattened bottoms where the ground meets her feet. Claws/toenails look like upside-down teardrops from the front. 3nodding

Hope that helps ^^

Ohh! alrighty, so Digigrade long toes look like other digigrade, basically? All I do it make the lines for the joins longer?  

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:10 am
User Image

Here is a human, Ooooo, was an art trade with a friend who is in the guild, but forgot her Gaian name ^^; Sorry Mely heart

I know so far I goofed on the arms, and again drawn 100% with tablet in Manga Studio, I think I'm getting the hang of the program.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:48 am
Okay, just wanna say, do not expect art from me for a few weeks, I'm losing vision in my left eye and am currently having constant headaches, but I am supposed to go to San Francisco soon to have it altered, thanks, and see you guys around heart  

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:30 pm
oh noes i hope you'll be okay and i hope you get some time to do more then just that in SF its a fun city to be in. (i go to school there XD) but yea i just wanted to make a note about the animals feet thing. an easy way to go about drawing them is that they are basically walking around on hands and the part that is making contact with the floor as the fingers. and the thumb is the small almost useless digit that is higher up. once you understand this you can also come to many more understanding of how the animal body functions, i.e. how they can run so much faster then us, and is similar to ours, i.e. similar hand/paws.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:01 pm
Folken_Schezar
oh noes i hope you'll be okay and i hope you get some time to do more then just that in SF its a fun city to be in. (i go to school there XD) but yea i just wanted to make a note about the animals feet thing. an easy way to go about drawing them is that they are basically walking around on hands and the part that is making contact with the floor as the fingers. and the thumb is the small almost useless digit that is higher up. once you understand this you can also come to many more understanding of how the animal body functions, i.e. how they can run so much faster then us, and is similar to ours, i.e. similar hand/paws.

Thanks, and yeah when I go to SF I usually only go to the city for my doctor visits, and I spend the rest of my time in El Grenada/Half Moon Bay.

And for further explanation, I live in nevada, and have annual doctor visits in SF, but for soem reason my vision is rapidly depleting in my left eye (AKA I'm going blind in it) so hopefully just a little bit of laser surgery will fix it, I hate the other kind of surgery, going under always scares me.

On the art note, I know how dog and cat paws work, but what about a mictur of a bird and a cat, like what I was trying to do with that character to perceive a dragon's feet. She still has use of the dew claw, that is why that digit is longer than a dog or cat's, it is used as a defense mechanism I guess you'd say if you looked at it from a natural standpoint. I'm used to drawing cat feet since that is the only good reference for feet I have (I have a pet cat) but I want her feet to have long toes, but not too long, and I want her to walk primarily on her toes.

I hope I explained that well enough ^^;  

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:05 pm
umm i'm not sure what a mictur is and i couldn't find any info on it when i tried to look it up. i'm not super familiar with animal anatomy but i know enough human anatomy to extrapolate. as for the dew claw, its a fairly useless digit for most animals like cats and dog, there is a ongoing debate about removing the dew claw for dogs, it is the equivalent of our thumbs but for dragons one can't say for sure. i'd imagine it would be similar to a birds claw, since the current theory supports the idea of dinosaurs evolved into birds, that the dew claw would be used to grip things  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:49 pm
I think she meant mixture, Folken. A mixture of bird and cat claws. X and C are really close on the keyboard. x3 Easy to make a mistake.

Birds have no dew claw; it either evolved out or became the spur. I think the closest thing they have to one now is that single backwards-facing toe; the one closest to the inside of the leg if they have two toes facing backward. (The longer backwards toe on a two-two foot is actually the outermost front toe on a three-one foot, just in a different position.)

And because cats already walk on their toes, Rae, the only thing you really have to do is just make the toes longer. Bird toes are very prehensile, if you've ever seen a macaw or other species of parrot/parakeet grab a large piece of food to eat it. Here is a simple bird foot diagram. See how the outermost toe has four bones, then three, then two as you move towards the bird's body? That goes for all birds. Or, at least, the most popular flying ones: songbirds, birds of prey, and parrots/parakeets. Best to do a little independent research and study on bird feet, if you don't have a pet bird or know someone who does.  

Eizoryu

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:08 pm
Yeah I meant mixture, but yes a dew claw has an actually purpose on cats, it is a sharp claw and they do use it (knows from experience)

I was looking more at bipedal non-flying birds, because birds of flight use their talons to grip onto things, and my character is supposed to be build for running and swimming, (As seen from her long thick-furred tail and wider hips) I have been studying Ostriches and Emus, but I guess I'll have to look further into it, thanks for the help you two ^^  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff