Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:42 pm
Caleidah

Off onto another book:

If you've not read it, I strongly suggest Life of Pi. It's really quite good.
I keep hearing people mention that book, but for the life of me, I don't know what it's about.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:47 pm
DarkElf27
Caleidah

Off onto another book:

I keep hearing people mention that book, but for the life of me, I don't know what it's about.

If you'd read it, you'd find out. wink

The gist is that the son of a zoo owner is cast adrift in a lifeboat with one of the zoo's tigers. It's really quite good.

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:48 pm
Caleidah
DarkElf27
Caleidah

Off onto another book:

The gist is that the son of a zoo owner is cast adrift in a lifeboat with one of the zoo's tigers. It's really quite good.
I'll have to pick up a copy after I read the last two books I ordered...  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:48 pm
DarkElf27
Caleidah
DarkElf27
Caleidah

Off onto another book:

I'll mail you my copy in a few weeks along with a certain something else that I've been meaning to send for quite a while.

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:50 pm
Caleidah
DarkElf27
Caleidah
DarkElf27
Caleidah

Off onto another book:

I'll mail you my copy in a few weeks along with a certain something else that I've been meaning to send for quite a while.
You sure? surprised  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:23 pm
DarkElf27
Caleidah
DarkElf27
Caleidah
DarkElf27
Caleidah

Off onto another book:

You sure? surprised

Yup. I'm not using it at the moment and, to be honest, it'll literally be one less thing to pack away before I head off to college.

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

Death Sharpie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:02 pm
List of books that I loved:
Zombie Survival Guide
The Art of War by Sun Tzu
The book of Five rings
The new Prometheus(the original Frankenstein book)

Currently need to read through:
So long and thanks for all the fish
Dracula
The curious Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
The Time Machine
The Invisible Man
I am America(And so can you!)  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:57 pm

Okay. I understand the ZSG and Art of War, but how the hell can you have enjoyed reading the Book of Five Rings? Christ. I read a lot to learn tips for building tempo and footwork for swordplay, but...you honestly enjoyed reading it?

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:08 pm
The Zombie Survival Guide is something I haven't heard about for a while. xp

I've been ending up reading a lot of military non-fiction, since that's the only thing we're allowed to read while on watch at the barracks. I highly recommend "A Proud American" by Joe Foss.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:28 pm
Patriotism is overrated.  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:35 pm
Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett

He's an absolutely fantastic author, and this book makes fantastic use of the "Checkhov's Gun" trope in that there are tons of small things that end up pulling together into a fantastic conclusion. I suggest that you read as much of his stuff as you can, though the necessary book as I've discussed with people is "The Color of Magic."  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:41 am
Any one read the Darren Shan series?
Great, if extremely gory books.  

Jason Kharo

5,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250

Necron_Pariah

1,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:52 am
Enders Game
Enders Shadow
Captain
Mechwarrior Dark Age (Whole Series Owned to date)
Allies and Aliens
Dragon Delasangre
Dragon Moon
Sten (Whole Series Owned)
The Last Legion By Chris Bunch
Wingman (Whole Series Owned)
Zombie Survival Guide
Star Wars Republic Commando: Hard Contact
Star Wars Republic Commando: Triple Zero  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:07 am
Recently read "Masters of DOOM" which not only talks about the game, but also id Software as a whole. How they started out with Commander Keen, how Wolfenstein 3D revolutionised gaming and how eventually the two Johns split up to work on their own projects: One on Quake II and the other on Daikatana. All in all a pleasantly good read that's presented as fiction. I'm heartily recommending this one to anyone with only a passing interest in gaming and the rise of gaming as a whole.

I've also read the Fantasy Flight Games novel "Free Fall" which is a tie-in to their Android board game. In a nutshell it's Blade Runner but with less rain and more civil tension due to clones taking the jobs of hard working regular folks. The story revolves around detective Harrison who is sent up the "Stalk", a massive space elevator designed to get people into orbit, to investigate the murder of a human rights politician. The murder weapon: A mining laser. The perp: a clone. Harrison has to find out what really happened before tensions mount to such levels again that murderous riots break out between the regular humans and the clones. It is a fun read, bit heavy on the science every now and then but a good ride, if a bit predictable here and there.

Right now on the desk: Metro 2033  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:51 am
Metro 2033 proves to be a boring and plodding read with a heavier focus on attacking communism, the rise of Russian fascism and the idiocy of Christianity in a post apocalyptic world. In short, boring, the game is better.

Just now wrapped up on the Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt. It's a darkly comic western novel about Charlie and Eli Sisters, two brothers who do the dirty work for a man named the Commodore. Their latest job is to get rid of a prospector by the name of Hermann Kermit Warm. All in all, a fine read, presented in first person and made up of really short chapters mostly spanning just three pages, making it feel like you're reading a script for a movie on some level. It is a bit odd and absurd at several points, but I guess that's part of the way the story is told. Well worth picking up if in need of something light to read.

My next non-GW book is sadly at home but one I am most certainly looking forward to diving into: the making of the Empire Strikes Back.  
General Discussion (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff