Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Starting fresh, all over again Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:59 am
Kuroiban
Well, I've been trying to do some research on Norse/Astaru, but that was a gigantic failure at ye local Barnes and Nobles today....one damn book on Vikings was all I could find. Nothing about the mythology or creation story specifically.

Honestly, look for stuff, then order it by name. Sometimes stores have multiple translations of the Eddas, but often they don't. I second Tea on trying to use local bookstores, if you have any left; in this economy, they need it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:41 am
TeaDidikai
Kuroiban

Good starts for me it would seem. Come next paycheck I'll have to spend some time with Amazon.com...
Could support local businesses instead... ninja

Reading, Pennsylvania has about as many mom and pop book stores as I have tails. The only "local" things I could support are Borders and/or Barnes and Noble's. Blech.  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:14 pm
Surprisingly, Borders had a better selection of things then B&K. I found SLIGHTLY more information in the Historical section, but also seem to have uncovered a diamond in the rough...

"Exploring the Northern Tradition" by Galina Krasskova.
More info here.

Anyone heard of her and/or know anything about the quality of this book? I read the first few pages, where she covered UPG and lore, and the suggested reading and bibliography both had the Poetic and Prose Edda.

Thoughts?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:27 pm
Kuroiban

Reading, Pennsylvania has about as many mom and pop book stores as I have tails. The only "local" things I could support are Borders and/or Barnes and Noble's. Blech.
I go Borders myself. The local Borders is chalked full of awesome people! That, and their "out of print" publishing resources far surpass Barns and Noble.  

TeaDidikai

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:19 pm
Kuroiban
Surprisingly, Borders had a better selection of things then B&K. I found SLIGHTLY more information in the Historical section, but also seem to have uncovered a diamond in the rough...

More info here.

Anyone heard of her and/or know anything about the quality of this book? I read the first few pages, where she covered UPG and lore, and the suggested reading and bibliography both had the Poetic and Prose Edda.

Thoughts?

I suppose no one had heard of her then....crud. Well...time to scour the internet for clues! cool  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:33 pm
Kuroiban
Kuroiban

More info here.

Thoughts?

I suppose no one had heard of her then....crud. Well...time to scour the internet for clues! cool

Ask Violet. I saw that book on her recommended reading list for Asatru. Would you like the full list?  

aoijea23487

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:24 pm
Illiezeulette
Ask Violet. I saw that book on her recommended reading list for Asatru. Would you like the full list?

Yes please! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:12 pm
Galina...has some interesting things to say. Keep your salt lick handy.

I like her for inspiration, but I would definitely save her book for until after you've read the Eddas (both Poetic and Prose).

I was poking around Freya Aswynn's site/blog a little while ago and read some things on there that made me raise an eyebrow...so I'm still kind of unsure as to if I'd continue to recommend her.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:43 pm
i found this in the anti-fluff guild. lance, the captain, added some books he thought were useful. i know zero about asatru so if you have questions about them, ask either violet or lance.

Lance Kisgyr
As far as Asatru goes, I am hardly an expert, but I can throw this in here, Courtesy of Vi.

Violet Song jat Shariff
Source texts and other reading materials

For Asatru, source texts are the Poetic Eddas (sometimes just called "The Eddas" ) and the Prose Eddas (also known as the Snorra or Younger Eddas).

Other books that are recommended, although they are not source texts, are helpful in gaining an overview on Asatru.
"Essential Asatru" by Diane Paxson
"Exploring the Northern Tradition: A Guide to the Gods, Lore, Rites, and Celebrations From the Norse, German, and Anglo-Saxon Traditions" by Galina Krasskova
"Our Troth" Volumes 1 and 2 by Kveldulf Gundarsson

For books that deal with the magical practices in Asatru, try:
"Northern Magic" by Edred Thorsson (note: Thorsson eventually left Asatru and became a LaVeyan Satanist, so read him with a few grains of salt)
"Taking Up the Runes" by Diane Paxson
"Futhark" by Edred Thorsson (note: this book is usually described as dry and esoteric and might not be suitable for a beginner)
For runes, it is also highly, strongly recommended to also read the Rune Poems in each of their translations.

Books you might want to stay away from:
"Norse Magic" by D.J. Conway
"Rites of Odin" by Ed Fitch
Any rune book that bears the name Ralph Blum

And here's my addition for those who wish to read the Eddas free of charge online.

Asatru Eddas on Sacred-Texts.com:
Poetic Eddas (Translated by Henry Adam Bellows, 1936):
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/poe/index.htm

Prose Eddas (Snorri Sturlson; Translated by Arthur Gilchrist Brodeur, 1916):
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/pre/index.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:58 pm
I must say one thing. Every time I go to any book store, I always check to see if they have SRW books. None have so far, except for one which previously never did.

Now the Indigos in the Eatons Centre in Toronto has several copies of each of her books. gonk  

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:02 am
So update time...

After some looking thru a book or two, and getting the general "feel" of Heathenry, I sat down and did an I Ching reading for the matter. I also was lucky enough to get a few Tarot readings from Girlfriend's mother. All things generally pointed that I was on the right path. I also felt very interested in the pantheon, the philosophy, the ethics, and so forth.

All in all I feel like I can safely say I am a Heathen, so I guess the searching part of my little quest is now done.

I know what I'm supposed to be researching now (The Eddas, The Sagas, etc.). Any other advice to be had?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:08 am
Kuroiban

I know what I'm supposed to be researching now (The Eddas, The Sagas, etc.). Any other advice to be had?

My usual heads up is that when reading through some of the translations, you need to remember that there is a lot of Christian influence that is projected onto certain deities, and that History is often written by the victors. wink  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces