View Results

Son Of No Man

3,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:33 pm
Matt Pniewski
There were things I had to ignore. I had a problem with the Cardassian Sunrise thing that was brought up.... And I felt like a geek for taking an issue with it, and remembered that with any adaptation, I have to accept the movie on it's own terms.... Then again, this is an established universe.

But then again, this is a tangent universe. Again, something that annoyed me because Time Travel never worked that way in Star Trek. But then I remembered in the original series they were flying at "Warp 14" in the episode "That Which Survives" despite the limits of warp drive....

And the Vulcan Bullies were just plain annoying.

The movie then got good. Real good. All they had to do was say "Bones" and magically it became good. Really good. So good it had a sexy green skinned woman. Really, that along gives it two of the three and a half stars I gave it.

Pretty much, it became the great Space Opera I've been waiting for. Is it the best Star Trek movie? Oh, God, no. But it's definitely a movie that does that one thing you want a movie to do: Trap you. You get so wrapped up in this sense of a awe and wonder, and it blows you away.

Did I wish they were a little bit closer to classic Trek? Yes, of course. But I don't mind what they did. I thought the actors were near perfect. They weren't the characters yet you could see them growing into the characters over time. Karl Urban really blew me away, and Simon Pegg did much better than I thought (I figured they just wanted somebody else with pull amongst geeks.... They made a good choice, though).

Ultimately, the one thing I want from it is some sort of insight. Star Trek has always rooted itself in commentary and satire. And I don't mean preachy "Half Black Half White" Aliens again. But the director seemed to think that any sort of statement at all would be preachy... They had the makings of a great statement about friendship and brotherhood that they never brought out because Abrams was too timid.

And can we really say no to beautiful green skinned women?

About the Time Traveling thing, in the first season of TOS Kirk and the crew go back in time 3 times, and that is only in the first season ("Mudd's Women", "Tomorrow is Yesterday", and "The City on the Edge of Forever"). In "The City on the Edge of Forever" the crew experienced the similar idea of being put into an alternate reality when McCoy went back in time. This episode was a bit more drastic with the changes, but the ideas of someone traveling through time, and creating an alternate reality in the Star Trek Universe is pretty damn consistent with the style of Star Trek TOS.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:56 pm
Son Of No Man
Matt Pniewski
There were things I had to ignore. I had a problem with the Cardassian Sunrise thing that was brought up.... And I felt like a geek for taking an issue with it, and remembered that with any adaptation, I have to accept the movie on it's own terms.... Then again, this is an established universe.

But then again, this is a tangent universe. Again, something that annoyed me because Time Travel never worked that way in Star Trek. But then I remembered in the original series they were flying at "Warp 14" in the episode "That Which Survives" despite the limits of warp drive....

The movie then got good. Real good. All they had to do was say "Bones" and magically it became good. Really good. So good it had a sexy green skinned woman. Really, that along gives it two of the three and a half stars I gave it.

Pretty much, it became the great Space Opera I've been waiting for. Is it the best Star Trek movie? Oh, God, no. But it's definitely a movie that does that one thing you want a movie to do: Trap you. You get so wrapped up in this sense of a awe and wonder, and it blows you away.

Did I wish they were a little bit closer to classic Trek? Yes, of course. But I don't mind what they did. I thought the actors were near perfect. They weren't the characters yet you could see them growing into the characters over time. Karl Urban really blew me away, and Simon Pegg did much better than I thought (I figured they just wanted somebody else with pull amongst geeks.... They made a good choice, though).

Ultimately, the one thing I want from it is some sort of insight. Star Trek has always rooted itself in commentary and satire. And I don't mean preachy "Half Black Half White" Aliens again. But the director seemed to think that any sort of statement at all would be preachy... They had the makings of a great statement about friendship and brotherhood that they never brought out because Abrams was too timid.

About the Time Traveling thing, in the first season of TOS Kirk and the crew go back in time 3 times, and that is only in the first season ("Mudd's Women", "Tomorrow is Yesterday", and "The City on the Edge of Forever"). In "The City on the Edge of Forever" the crew experienced the similar idea of being put into an alternate reality when McCoy went back in time. This episode was a bit more drastic with the changes, but the ideas of someone traveling through time, and creating an alternate reality in the Star Trek Universe is pretty damn consistent with the style of Star Trek TOS.

No, the speculation from the writers I heard was that this becomes "Tangent Universe" and that is the talk on IMDB. Tangent Universe and Alternate Timeline are not the same as altering the Time line. You are talking like when the DC universe does a Crisis.

I've been hearing more like a split, seperate world, ect.  

Matt Pniewski

vampirelove75

Dangerous Genius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:46 am
I thought the movie was amazing. yes i had a problem with the alternate universe and the romantic relationship earlier mentioned but i can live. gives them more freedom with the series. also even though quinto and pine were pretty good, i think the only one who really stuck true to the character they were playing was urban. i mean quinto was his own version of spock and pine was his own version of kirk, but urban WAS mccoy. he was absolutely AMAZING!!!!!  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:53 am
Matt Pniewski

agreed, i think he was the best actor in the film.  

vampirelove75

Dangerous Genius

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:30 pm
vampirelove75
Matt Pniewski

agreed, i think he was the best actor in the film.

yeah he was able to change his voice and make him sound more like McCoy  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:37 pm
i dont think it changes anything in fact i think it opens up the way for a new series. certainly one we might not like because our gen is used to what we are used to. but our kids and our kids kids might like it. thought i think it trapps the actors because a series wouldnt be good with look alikes.  

ranch_and_potatos

Dust Dancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:32 am
I watched it twice. Once before I ever saw TOS and once after I saw the first season.

I'll have to say, I was impressed both times. The first time, I paid more attention to how..."pretty" the movies was. Everything flowed so well and it had this sense of awe and sublime about it. I became a Spock fangirl :^)

The second time, I picked up on the little "nerdy" things thrown in. Bones' and Scotty's famous lines, Spock's eyebrow, and Kirk's manly urges. I must say, I giggled every time. I realized I was more of a McCoy kind of girl x^) When he said "I'm a doctor, not a physicist!" I laughed and clapped.

The only thing I have a problem with it, of course, Spock and Uhura. The only thing that keeps me from bashing it too much is the hope that Nurse Chapel will play a part in the next movie that will offset this...annoying addition. (yes, I said it >_>)

When they first kiss, I literally screamed out loud in the theater, "What the hell?!" and I believe the rest of the audience agreed, whether they be trekkies or not.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:49 am
They Spock and Uhura relationship was a terribly done version of a bad idea. The actors had no chemistry together. Also, it made the movie less about Kirk, Spock, and McCoy (like the show) and more about Kirk, Spock, and Uhura.

It was stupid, poorly executed, and I'm still trying to figure out what purpose it served to the movie.  

Matt Pniewski

Dust Dancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:21 am
Matt Pniewski
They Spock and Uhura relationship was a terribly done version of a bad idea. The actors had no chemistry together. Also, it made the movie less about Kirk, Spock, and McCoy (like the show) and more about Kirk, Spock, and Uhura.

It was stupid, poorly executed, and I'm still trying to figure out what purpose it served to the movie.

I read in an interview somewhere that because the first interracial kiss was between Kirk and Uhura, they thought it might be...interesting for the reboot to have a romantic relationship between Spock and Uhura instead.

What went through their heads baffles me still.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:59 pm
When Spock and Uhura "happened," I almost stormed out of the theater, demanding I get my my money back.

As stated before, there was no chemistry and no reason for that to happen. Just because it's AU doesn't mean it has to be drastically different, at least, not more so than it already is. Also, I've never been a fan of Spock/anyone, because all the so-called "romances" have always come off as tacky, clumsy, rushed, and deliberately put in the show as an attempt to boost ratings. And this one was no exception.

I have, however, been hearing rumors that in the next couple of films, they may dissolve this relationship and have Kirk and Uhura attracted to each other. I suppose that's better than nothing. I, for one, have shipped Scotty/Uhura ever since Star Trek V. (It was one of the only things that made that movie interesting and saved it from Shatner's directing. Heh, just kidding.)

I really hope they don't bring Chapel into the mix. I never liked that character to begin with (although I'm a huge fan of Lwaxana Troi).  

Miral Paris

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:42 pm
Miral Paris
When Spock and Uhura "happened," I almost stormed out of the theater, demanding I get my my money back.

I almost stormed out after the product placement for Nokia and Budweiser.

Oh, and after the bar scene.

Actually, until they actually got to Starfleet Academy I was REALLY pissed off.

So, by the time that happened, I was actually willing to forgive it. Because I'd already seen worse in the same film.

Quote:
I really hope they don't bring Chapel into the mix. I never liked that character to begin with (although I'm a huge fan of Lwaxana Troi).

Chapel only works if Spock has no interest in her. That's what I liked. She wanted him. He's completely emotionally unavailable and pretty much uninterested. Really don't think the character was necessary, but after rewatching the Cartoon, she did serve a purpose: Using Mudd's love potion on Spock, and getting the whole crew to go crazy and fall in love with eachother.

Which lead to the best pairing in Star Trek history: Scotty and M Ress. Sure, it lasted for a couple hours while under some sort of chemical influence, but dammit, they could flirt. And it was hilarious.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:18 pm
Matt Pniewski
Miral Paris

I almost stormed out after the product placement for Nokia and Budweiser.

Oh, and after the bar scene.

Actually, until they actually got to Starfleet Academy I was REALLY pissed off.

So, by the time that happened, I was actually willing to forgive it. Because I'd already seen worse in the same film.

Quote:

Chapel only works if Spock has no interest in her. That's what I liked. She wanted him. He's completely emotionally unavailable and pretty much uninterested. Really don't think the character was necessary, but after rewatching the Cartoon, she did serve a purpose: Using Mudd's love potion on Spock, and getting the whole crew to go crazy and fall in love with eachother.

Which lead to the best pairing in Star Trek history: Scotty and M Ress. Sure, it lasted for a couple hours while under some sort of chemical influence, but dammit, they could flirt. And it was hilarious.

Ugh, the advertising. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. The bar scene was lame, too.

The academy scenes really pissed me off. Isn't Bones supposed to be significantly older than Kirk and Spock? Around a decade or so? If so, he shouldn't be a pupil at Starfleet Academy.

I heard somewhere that they went ahead with Spock/Uhura for two reasons. Firstly, the writers wanted to "experiment" with a love triangle involving Kirk and Spock (which has been explored in the novels before). Secondly, it was an attempt to shut all the Kirk/Spock fans up. I never appreciated all the K/S stuff either, but this makes the writers come off as homophobes. It's really immature. People should be allowed their own opinions, and it shouldn't be up to these people to dispel those opinions.

Does anyone besides me ship Scotty/Uhura?  

Miral Paris

Dust Dancer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:48 pm
Miral Paris

The academy scenes really pissed me off. Isn't Bones supposed to be significantly older than Kirk and Spock? Around a decade or so? If so, he shouldn't be a pupil at Starfleet Academy.

I heard somewhere that they went ahead with Spock/Uhura for two reasons. Firstly, the writers wanted to "experiment" with a love triangle involving Kirk and Spock (which has been explored in the novels before). Secondly, it was an attempt to shut all the Kirk/Spock fans up. I never appreciated all the K/S stuff either, but this makes the writers come off as homophobes. It's really immature. People should be allowed their own opinions, and it shouldn't be up to these people to dispel those opinions.

You don't have to be young to enlist in Starfleet do you? He joined Starfleet after a divorce, which was also part of the reason why he joined Starfleet in the original timeline (random question: are there names to distinguish between the original and "alternate" timeline introduced in Star Trek XI yet?), so that is correct. Also, they never specified his age in the movie, but I when watching, I got the feeling that he was like an older brother to Spock and Kirk, not quite on the same level, but they can still mess with him playfully. Just like in TOS.

And I hope no one bags on me too much for saying this, but I don't think someone as young as Kirk would've gotten a divorce and become so pessimistic so early on in life. (I know there are people like that, yes, but we gotta be just a liiiittle lenient on the writers. Just a little.) When he first appears onscreen complaining about aviophobia and boiling blood, I'm pretty sure the audience got the feeling that he was older than Kirk and Spock.

And with the whole "shutting K/S fans up" thing, I think it was in vain. I agree, it did seem homophobic. It also got non-slash fans going "Huh?" too.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:10 pm
Dust Dancer
Miral Paris

You don't have to be young to enlist in Starfleet do you? He joined Starfleet after a divorce, which was also part of the reason why he joined Starfleet in the original timeline (random question: are there names to distinguish between the original and "alternate" timeline introduced in Star Trek XI yet?), so that is correct. Also, they never specified his age in the movie, but I when watching, I got the feeling that he was like an older brother to Spock and Kirk, not quite on the same level, but they can still mess with him playfully. Just like in TOS.

Well, yeah, he was ALWAYS much older. He was a Doctor on Earth before joining Starfleet. I'd have to look up his exact age. But he had some years on them, BECAUSE he joined Starfleet later in life

Quote:
And with the whole "shutting K/S fans up" thing, I think it was in vain. I agree, it did seem homophobic. It also got non-slash fans going "Huh?" too.

I really don't think it matters at this point. Fan pairings will always exist. I overlook Kirk/Spock as long as I have my Scotty/MRess.  

Matt Pniewski

Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces